• Please keep questions in the Questions forum to contract, procedures, and requests for documentation. Vehicle, TSP, retirement, etc questions please post in the regular forums. Thank you
  • Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Hold Down on a Aux Route...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram01

Hi everyone,

If you have a hold down on a Aux route 6 days a week..do you have to work Amazon Sunday's, if so, do we have anything in writing.

Thank you

Solution
Does your office have a yes and no list posted for Sunday/holiday. If it does what did you choose. If you said yes then yes you do, if no it depends on how many rcas available. If no list is posted or you never initialed any document about Sunday/holiday work. Contact union asap file And let them sort it out.
Hi everyone,

If you have a hold down on a Aux route 6 days a week..do you have to work Amazon Sunday's, if so, do we have anything in writing.

Thank you
So glad you asked! Here is my story:

I was an RCA on a 6 day aux. (Hired in 2007, started as aux carrier somewhere around 2008.) 5 1/2 hour a day. I was told in 2021 that I would be required to do Amazon Sundays every 5 weeks or so in an office I was not familiar with about 25 miles away.. I tried it twice. I hated hated hated it ..it was awful and hard and frustrating and I'm too old for that kind of stress! I absolutely need that one measly day of rest! So I refused in writing, via certified letter on grounds of safety and religious beliefs.

They gave me the "religious accommodation" meeting which was a laugh. They then proceeded to deny me any accommodation, and said my safety concerns were not valid. So they continued to schedule me and marked me as AWOL when I did not show. PDIs were routine until they fired me. I have grievances which are still pending (since June 2022) .

There is an MOU 2016 I believe that states how there is supposed to be a volunteer list posted. This was not done in our office. I think someone can direct you to that MOU quicker than I can, but I'll look for it.

The happy news was that the department of labor found in my favor (they said the terms of my employment had changed) and I was able to collect unemployment.

Since my grievances haven't been settled yet, I can't help you with the definite answer. I don't know your managers either. All I can say is if you refuse there is a risk involved. There is also risk if you don't refuse. Your health and well being, becoming enslaved, for example.

Best wishes -- whatever you decide!

Oi veh shut it down, but here's a link to the rest of the story:. I got fired.

Last edited:
Article 30.2.P (2018 - 2021 agreement)

"Sunday Work
An office-wide list will be established for substitutes, rural carrier associates, and rural carrier relief employees who desire to work on Sunday. When there is a need to work leave replacements on Sunday, the Employer may require a part-time flexible rural carrier work prior to selecting qualified employees from the list. The Employer will make every reasonable effort to avoid requiring substitutes, RCAs and RCRs not on the list to work."

Does your office have a yes and no list posted for Sunday/holiday. If it does what did you choose. If you said yes then yes you do, if no it depends on how many rcas available. If no list is posted or you never initialed any document about Sunday/holiday work. Contact union asap file And let them sort it out.

Solution
Hiram01 -- "If you have a hold down on a Aux route 6 days a week..do you have to work Amazon Sunday's, if so, do we have anything in writing."

-- Sorry, but yes. But there may be a loop hole if you can get leave approved.

-- From Step 4 ( S-106 ), in part:

- Leave replacements on both the volunteer and non-volunteer Sunday/Holiday Parcel Delivery Work Lists will be bypassed in the rotation IF the leave replacement has approved leave or an approved non-scheduled day adjacent to Sunday or the holiday. Also,

- In addition, management MAY bypass leave replacements for Sunday/holiday parcel delivery if such assigned work hours would result in the leave replacement exceeding 40 hours at the end of the work week

-- S-106 is from 2016 when there were a lot more RCAs available.

-- RCAs have posted of working 60-80+ hours a week, so manglement apparently is not that worried about an RCA going over 40 hours.

-- Different story if you were holding down a vacant regular route or filling in for an regular out for an extended time:

- Rural carrier associates serving vacant regular routes or serving regular routes during the extended absence of the regular carrier, including the first ninety ( 90 ) days before becoming a Designation 74-0, will not be scheduled for Sunday/holiday parcel delivery UNLESS all leave replacements from both the volunteer and non-volunteer lists are scheduled.

Hi everyone,

Thank you
Yes. You are a leave replacement. Leave replacements work Sunday. There is the volunteer list and order to schedule people and you are like last. But yes you do. Hopefully they realize you can’t work 7days a week 30days a month 365 days a year without a break and they get you one. But schedule you a Sunday with no leave day during the week turns into 13days in a row at minimum

I was in that spot for 3 years before making regular and the only did it a handful of times when people were out

Yes. You are a leave replacement. Leave replacements work Sunday. There is the volunteer list and order to schedule people and you are like last. But yes you do. Hopefully they realize you can’t work 7days a week 30days a month 365 days a year without a break and they get you one. But schedule you a Sunday with no leave day during the week turns into 13days in a row at minimum

I was in that spot for 3 years before making regular and the only did it a handful of times when people were out
Aux Subs are NOT “last”. Only Des 74 RCAs are last resort. A small Aux route sub would make more money on Sunday/Holiday than on the Aux route so they were not singled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back