• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

how do i address this safety issue?

johnwayne

road under construction for a year. finally finished. rode around with the foreman of the crew to mark out where mailboxes should be. Mailboxes get put in. I moved one customers mailbox literally from one side of his drive to the other. The road construction had flattened a curve and put where his mailbox was around a quarter of the way into the curve. I had the mailbox put on the other side of his drive so people would for sure see me before they entered the curve. bonus was i could use my mirrors to see if anyone was behind me before i pulled back out into traffic. Of course, customer says this is not satisfactory for him. fast forward a week. Pm shows up at rmpo, says she has to visit with a customer about an issue. never told me the issue. this was last wednesday i believe. Today i get to customers mailbox, and it had been moved to the previous location. So I believe the pm told them they could move it, but i havent been able to prove that. So i delivered their mail today. But where the mailbox is now, is far enough around the curve that all i see in my mirrors is road ditch. I have to become an owl-turn my head 3/4 of the way around-to try to see if traffic is coming. this is a state road. will be a fair amount of traffic. So, as im turning around to look today, a car whizzed right by me. i would have never seen it if it would have been one or two seconds slower. I want to at least create a paper trail stating my objections, if not get the box moved back to the safer spot. how do i do this? can i appeal it at all?

You could also request that your District Safety person / people come take a look at the situation. You know, the very SAME District Safety gurus that try to write you up for "only one hand on the wheel" while you were only trying to stay conscious by drinking some water ? Yeah, them.

Yeah, the guy(s) who decree "absolutely NO left turns or pull outs heading left, even if it means a 1 mile detour to what they deign "a safe turnaround".

road under construction for a year. finally finished. rode around with the foreman of the crew to mark out where mailboxes should be. Mailboxes get put in. I moved one customers mailbox literally from one side of his drive to the other. The road construction had flattened a curve and put where his mailbox was around a quarter of the way into the curve. I had the mailbox put on the other side of his drive so people would for sure see me before they entered the curve. bonus was i could use my mirrors to see if anyone was behind me before i pulled back out into traffic. Of course, customer says this is not satisfactory for him. fast forward a week. Pm shows up at rmpo, says she has to visit with a customer about an issue. never told me the issue. this was last wednesday i believe. Today i get to customers mailbox, and it had been moved to the previous location. So I believe the pm told them they could move it, but i havent been able to prove that. So i delivered their mail today. But where the mailbox is now, is far enough around the curve that all i see in my mirrors is road ditch. I have to become an owl-turn my head 3/4 of the way around-to try to see if traffic is coming. this is a state road. will be a fair amount of traffic. So, as im turning around to look today, a car whizzed right by me. i would have never seen it if it would have been one or two seconds slower. I want to at least create a paper trail stating my objections, if not get the box moved back to the safer spot. how do i do this? can i appeal it at all?
I have had customers want to move box, and my PM will go out and advise them where to put it ----safe for them and ME.

New regulations on mailbox placement say they should be grouped in pairs on the property lines. So they should have got with their neighbors and put the boxes on the line between the 2 properties. If this can help solve the safety issue, you can use this in a grievance.

Postal Operations Manual : 631.21 Curbside Delivery Delivery may only be provided to boxes at the curb with prior approval from the Postal Service, and so long as they can be efficiently, safely, and conveniently served by the carrier from the carrier’s vehicle, and so that customers have reasonable and safe access. Mail receptacles must be 2 grouped two to a property line, where possible.

Back