How does pay work when you have to make 2 trips due to parcel size/amount?

chuey_316

There's been 2 days in the past two weeks where my route has either had very large parcels, or a higher amount of parcels requiring me to make 2 trips. I just looked at my check, and realized that I did not get paid for the extra mileage. In fact, I haven't been paid the correct mileage on any of my checks. Every day there's some packages, sometimes over a dozen, that are not scanned in properly, can't be scanned with load truck, and are not on my manifests, which cause me to have to put on extra time and mileage.

I've heard that 2nd trips are green card time, but would that only apply to extra runs after your route is completed, or would this be covered under the same rule?

On top of that, as I'm looking now, I see that they have been shorting my pay for the past 2 pay periods. I've worked 14.29 hours more than what I've gotten paid for.

Last edited:

Itstillfun

Now that you know it's time to learn the grievance process. Maybe a talk with the PM or sup will get it fixed. Documentation is your friend, time on the other hand is the beast considering the job at hand. 14 days to file when you realize there were issues to be looked at. Good luck at least your over 90 days

Twingrlie

There's been 2 days in the past two weeks where my route has either had very large parcels, or a higher amount of parcels requiring me to make 2 trips. I just looked at my check, and realized that I did not get paid for the extra mileage. In fact, I haven't been paid the correct mileage on any of my checks. Every day there's some packages, sometimes over a dozen, that are not scanned in properly, can't be scanned with load truck, and are not on my manifests, which cause me to have to put on extra time and mileage.

I've heard that 2nd trips are green card time, but would that only apply to extra runs after your route is completed, or would this be covered under the same rule?

On top of that, as I'm looking now, I see that they have been shorting my pay for the past 2 pay periods. I've worked 14.29 hours more than what I've gotten paid for.
Second trips are classified as follows: packages or mail that don't fit or parcels/mail that you're asked to run after the Jug has been called. You are supposed to write it on the white sheet as it is not green card time if you're on a route for that day. You would log it as your load time and mileage. You get 2 minutes per mileage, and the time it takes to load the parcels. So you if you had to drive 30 miles and it took 10 minutes to load, you would be paid 70 minutes for that second trip regardless if it took you three hours. You do not get paid the mileage if your route is under 40 miles. You only get paid the mileage if the route is over 40 miles or you're on an Aux route and then you would log it as 10 minutes load time, 30 miles plus 30 miles EMA.

As for parcels that aren't on a manifest, is this for Amazon Sunday? If not, you should be using the line of travel for the route and running the parcels in that order. Using the Load Truck feature is for city carriers. Rurals aren't paid to use it.

For the pay issue, let your supervisor know what's going on. Be prepared to show them where the pay is missing.

chuey_316

Thanks everyone. I'd contact a union rep, but the only problem is I haven't hit my 90 days yet, and don't want to give them any reason to want me gone before that time. It's a bitter pill to swallow, as I take my money very seriously. I'm usually a pretty go with the flow kind of guy, and it takes allot to get me really upset, but I have been known to make an example out of managers who refuse to follow the rules, and take advantage of employees before.

My 1st day of orientation was on 12/21/20, and I just received my 4th check on 2/19. My 1st to checks where hourly pay, and my last two have been eval, although I worked longer.

I've just been writing my mileage on the white sheet, and writing "2 trips" if I had to go back out with parcels the wouldn't fit in the 1st run. My route is 48 miles, so some days will have something like "62.4 miles, 2 trips", but I'm still only getting paid ema for 48 miles, with no extra pay, on top of not being paid for the time over eval that I've worked.