How long for route to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptf415

Best answers
Hey all! Hope you're holding up ok through all this covid business.

I am on the verge of getting a route. The regular has been out on sick leave for 2 months. Now PM tells me it will still be months for the route to be posted. She said it will take that long for retirement and disability to be processed. I would like to go regular asap, of course. They've got me on a different route everyday of the week right now. I'm afraid they are going to freeze the route or something because they say they can't train RCAs on more routes right now because they can't do ride-alongs. Thoughts?

neciat

Best answers
ptf415

Once the route becomes vacant , and that would mean the current regular is no longer on the roles in anyway whatsoever, they have 30 days to post that route. There are a few exceptions to this timeline that include consolidations and excess carrier. You can look at the National Agreement under Article 12 ; section 3 and see the details. You can find this all here 2018-2021 National Contract

littlesew&sew

Best answers
Hey all! Hope you're holding up ok through all this covid business.

I am on the verge of getting a route. The regular has been out on sick leave for 2 months. Now PM tells me it will still be months for the route to be posted. She said it will take that long for retirement and disability to be processed. I would like to go regular asap, of course. They've got me on a different route everyday of the week right now. I'm afraid they are going to freeze the route or something because they say they can't train RCAs on more routes right now because they can't do ride-alongs. Thoughts?
Contract reference mentioned by neciat has the timeline answers.

Things to keep in mind:
Primary RCA will cover (hold down) the vacant route until posted. If I understand correctly, a ptf cannot have a hold down.
It could take a VERY long time to process a disability retirement. The last one in my office took 2 years.

Training is still happening on routes. You just have to be creative since no one should be riding together

neciat

Best answers
littlesew&sew brings up some good points. The disability retirement process can and probably WILL be a very lengthy process. That process takes awhile anyway in the private sector but add the P.O. employment in there and it just at least doubled the timeline. I have seen a couple of 18 to 24 month people in my office. Also, do not confuse VACANT with ENCUMBERED. Just because the regular carrier is not there does not mean the route is vacant. As long as there is a carrier assigned to that route, it is NOT vacant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.