• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

HURRICANE HARVEY

btdtret

All -- Keep all the postal workers in SE Texas in your thoughts and prayers -- they are going to need all the help they can get as HARVEY makes land fall as a Category 4 hurricane ( sustained 130 mph winds with gusts to 155 ) tonight.   Rain fall will be measured in feet as HARVEY meanders about over the weekend in the same area north of Corpus Christi. 

Dang.....usps management has done something right.   Closed offices which are in the path. Announced mail may be disrupted based on conditions. It looks like Rio Grande might have their stuff together....Not like what happened with Sandy and other hurricanes....Just maybe they read the OIG afteraction report on Sandy and saw where management during that hurricane was so sub par that a bunch of them should have been fired on the spot.

Just maybe they were actually looking out for the welfare of their people....

Hopefully all are safe......

If local management has done this right....They should be commended.

Only partially together. I'm still going to be out in the steady rain w/ 30+ mph winds. Rubber bands will be my friend!

Sure hope these peeps don't expect DRY mail & pkgs! I'm praying that mgmt at least holds back the bulk that doesn't need to go today. AND glad I'm off for the next 2 days. Wonder how many peeps will call in today...

<blockquote class="spPostEmbedQuote"><strong>gotstamps said </strong>
Only partially together. I'm still going to be out in the steady rain w/ 30+ mph winds. Rubber bands will be my friend!

Sure hope these peeps don't expect DRY mail & pkgs! I'm praying that mgmt at least holds back the bulk that doesn't need to go today. AND glad I'm off for the next 2 days. Wonder how many peeps will call in today...  </blockquote>
I've delivered in one national disaster area.  They held back all the bulk, flats and letters.  Those were some easy days.  We expected to get an avalanche of mail afterwards, didn't happen.  As far as we could tell, that bulk mail just disappeared. 

<blockquote class="spPostEmbedQuote"><strong>OutHereSomewhere said </strong>

I've delivered in one national disaster area.  They held back all the bulk, flats and letters.  Those were some easy days.  We expected to get an avalanche of mail afterwards, didn't happen.  As far as we could tell, that bulk mail just disappeared.   </blockquote>
Nothing was held back. We still had catalogs & junk but it was 'summer-mail' type of day and parcels were light (1 full hamper). 1/2 my businesses were closed was awesome! The rain was light (& sideways) for most of my route so I feel blessed to have such a day with all that's going on. Now, I'm just glad to have Monday Ks. ? Our rain isn't set to end for another day or so. I'm a little higher than others & feel safe here at home.

I have a lot of family in the Houston area & that area is once again drowning in rain. So far, everyone is safe for the moment but the rain won't end for a few days & the flooding there is extensive now.

My prayers are with them.

<blockquote class="spPostEmbedQuote"><strong>OutHereSomewhere said </strong>

I've delivered in one national disaster area.  They held back all the bulk, flats and letters.  Those were some easy days.  We expected to get an avalanche of mail afterwards, didn't happen.  As far as we could tell, that bulk mail just disappeared.   </blockquote>

Bulk mail disappearing, rural carriers know nothing about that during a certain time of year.

<blockquote class="spPostEmbedQuote"><strong>gotstamps said </strong>

Nothing was held back. We still had catalogs & junk but it was 'summer-mail' type of day and parcels were light (1 full hamper). 1/2 my businesses were closed was awesome! The rain was light (& sideways) for most of my route so I feel blessed to have such a day with all that's going on. Now, I'm just glad to have Monday Ks. ? Our rain isn't set to end for another day or so. I'm a little higher than others & feel safe here at home.

I have a lot of family in the Houston area & that area is once again drowning in rain. So far, everyone is safe for the moment but the rain won't end for a few days & the flooding there is extensive now.

My prayers are with them.  </blockquote>
Way back in my sub days, we had an ice storm here.  We were declared a national disaster area by the President.  All of the mail was still processed here, not 100 miles away.  They were using generators at the plant.  We had generators inside the post office for lights, no heat, it was winter of course, and no water in the office.  I remember our PM coming around and saying we would only be getting class mail until the declaration was over.  We were holding our breath waiting for an avalanche of bulk catalogs when it ended, but nothing happened.  We always assumed that they just trashed the stuff, if they didn't, I don't know what else could've happened to it.  This was at least 10 years ago...mail volume was much higher in those days.   

Six years ago we had the historic flood of all time here for our area, and after three days of our town under water and everyone trapped in our homes until it receded the mail didn't move.  We were paid admin for three days in a row, only to return to a mostly normal flow of mail.  Nothing like the avalanche of mail we assumed we would have. It had to go somewhere.  Was kind of eerie.  

Back