• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

I am getting a PO vehicle

We had 2 POV routes that were both told they were getting a van in March. One showed up and they gave it to the route that has the carrier out on Leave for a year now. The sub running that route at the time said he wasn't sure he wanted it so they gave it to an older city union rep carrier who needed the AC to continue working and that rural route got assigned her LLV. The regular that has been working the whole time is still waiting on his to arrive 8 months later.

@DB.Cooper - please edit post 19 to remove political content in general discussion. thank you.

actually, nevermind. i just read the whole thread. i'll be deleting everyone's remarks that are off topic.

for those of you who are offended by the political talk, we do have an off topic forum where anything goes. but because we are human, we tend to slide things into general, not on purpose, but just conversationally, as we would in real life.

thank you.

I sure hope not... The visibility in the Metris is just terrible. Would be an accident waiting to happen if they ever put one on my route.
I really am not sure how to read the charts in the original schedule.... while it says more vans will be deployed in 2022, than were deployed in 2020 & 2021 combined.... it also makes it look like the majority of RURAL route vans were to be deployed in 2021.... 2020 = 2140, 2021 = 8293, and 2022 = 2209....

So, if those numbers are still valid.... a BIG IF.... then 10,443 of the RURAL vans are supposed to be deployed by the end of 2021, and only another 2,209 in 2022.... if that's true, maybe the odds aren't all that high... but, with over half of the total being deployed in 2022, if they don't end up on city routes, then the odds become higher....

All I know, is if they're gonna give me one, they better hurry up... :unsure: 🤷‍♂️ 🤚😎🤩🥳

I really don't want a van but its not that big a deal to me. I do know it will cost me time. I most certainly will get stuck at times. There will be some times where it will just get stuck in the mud right in front of the mailbox in spring. Most the time it will work. I may bid back into the city but I doubt it. I really like a country route. But then of course rrecs could change all of that too. I have learned to just wait it out. No one around this joint has any idea what's going to happen tommorrow.

I really don't want a van but its not that big a deal to me. I do know it will cost me time. I most certainly will get stuck at times. There will be some times where it will just get stuck in the mud right in front of the mailbox in spring. Most the time it will work. I may bid back into the city but I doubt it. I really like a country route. But then of course rrecs could change all of that too. I have learned to just wait it out. No one around this joint has any idea what's going to happen tommorrow.
It'll likely cost you an hour or 2 off your evaluation, in addition to no more EMA.... so $$$ money-wise there's a bit of a hit... altho, not having to maintain a vehicle will in many ways be a positive thing.... I always thought I wouldn't mind giving the gov't vehicle thing a shot before I hung up my spurs... but, I don't see it happening in the limited time I have left... :unsure: 🤷‍♂️ 😊

It would be nice at our office to get at least one Van so that during X-mas an RCA's could be schedule for a full days work delivering packages! 8 hours of delivering packages from one of those would be more than enough assistance to cover 4 to 5 routes per Van, per day.

I never made more than $18 a day on EMA. I actually saved money not maintaining a vehicle I only used on route. The last year I paid insurance, my fantastic state made everyone get commercial liability for routes. It was $1800 every six months, plus brakes every 3 months, oil change every 6 weeks, tires every 6-7 months and 8 gallons of gas a day. Even doing all the mechanical myself, I was out another $2000 ABOVE EMA pay.

Let them fix and maintain. It's beyond stupid a company as large as USPS pays mileage for dedicated daily delivery. Btw, the new metris can be leased between $450 and $500 a month for smaller companies. I would hope USPS got a better deal with volume. Removing EMA payment is saving money, gives a more professional looking vehicle and encourages new hires to stay. All at the expense of Mercedes. Drive them into the ground and walk away - like every other real company does.

I know our family businesses lease or buy on a 20% replacement factor. Every 5 years the entire fleet has been replaced. This also maximizes tax programs which limit yearly purchase amounts. I'm sure some bean counter at USPS land must be smarter than us farmers. I hope.

Last edited:
From image posted.

Take a look at Blue N/A Load time image. New rides are Top Load. It's cost effective to drop your daily pallet load of parcels this way into your Provided ride.

howamidoing-696x517.jpg

IMO this is going to be the big issue for USPS over the next 5-10 years. Tons of table 1 Regulars that stick it out right now because the pay is good will be gone.
For the really rural routes, its is getting damn hard to find anyone that can both do the job, AND supply a vehicle that can handle the route.

It could be a real quagmire. The Metris cannot handle the job during bad weather and for long term use, I believe. For the money paid, people simply will not attempt the job if they have to supply POV.

A sure Catch-22. I don't know what USPS can/will do to overcome this.

The last we heard, in our small, rural office, was a survey asking whether or not our parking lot could handle 3 NGDVs. I haven't even heard of a Metris being deployed to a rural route, locally, for a year. They're all going to city routes because for driving, maintenance, reliability, and doing anything more than 10 miles a day, they're absolute anus.

Back