I apparently offended someone at the office today...

Windindaface

Had a bouncing RCA in office today. Formal intros were done. The obvious thing was this carrier was way deep into a pregnancy. They had to stand on their tip toes to work the top row of the case where the table is. Bravo to them for working an unknown route and still providing coverage at their office.

A new CCA walks over to me with a parcel to ask if it was mine. I said NO it goes to PREGO over there because I did not care to mentally etch their name in the intro and AM rush.. 15-20 min later I am spoken to at my case for using the offensive term of PREGO. Quick thinking on my feet I replied I was talking about pasta sauce. OIC fought back a chuckle. Told me not to use that term again and her name is...

Windindaface

No apology given. I'm old. When my former wife was pregnant 30+ years ago it was an accepted term by many. Just saying here, when the young ones text or comment on any social media site in this instance do the use the full word of pregnant?

My Son's replies from young ones when his wife was pregnant on these sites used the term PREGO. So is it a work NO NO? or an all around NO NO? I am confused. Perhaps I need a day of Reflection form the office to decipher this comment I made?

blamethesub

99 times out of 100, that term probably wouldn't have bothered her at all. But.... new office, new route, desperate need to pee, hormonal and stressed, you hit that 1 bad moment. Even if you were her best friend at work, probably wouldn't have gone over well.

Sandygirl

No apology given. I'm old. When my former wife was pregnant 30+ years ago it was an accepted term by many. Just saying here, when the young ones text or comment on any social media site in this instance do the use the full word of pregnant?

My Son's replies from young ones when his wife was pregnant on these sites used the term PREGO. So is it a work NO NO? or an all around NO NO? I am confused. Perhaps I need a day of Reflection form the office to decipher this comment I made?
My opinion? She was pregnant and working a new office you SHOULD have taken the time to ask her name and say what can I do to help you...… You could have done better... IMHO

Bud Budderly

"preggo (plural preggos) (slang, sometimes offensive) A pregnant person."
preggo - Wiktionary

Depends on the context. If you knew her well or she was your daughter or something it might have been fine depending on the relationship. A relative or friend might have thought, that's just Wind being Wind, he didn't mean anything by it. A complete stranger in the workplace means different unwritten rules of behavior apply and it's probably better to err on the side of caution..

Last edited:

hockey94

I was GM of an independent restaurant a long time ago and a wait person greeted a customer using the incorrect sex, so from that experience, I am very cautious on how I communicate with someone I first meet, etc...

BigGreenie

"preggo (plural preggos) (slang, sometimes offensive) A pregnant person."
preggo - Wiktionary

Depends on the context. If you knew her well or she was your daughter or something it might have been fine depending on the relationship. A relative or friend might have thought, that's just Wind being Wind, he didn't mean anything by it. A complete stranger in the workplace means different unwritten rules of behavior apply and it's probably better to err on the side of caution..
I guess it is just the world we live in. In the future just say: "Not mine. Try someone else."

eomr

We were joking around about something and it was overheard by someone who reported it to the PM. We got called into his office and he asked what we said. He laughed and told us to watch what we say out on the workplace floor. That might be some good advice. You never know who is listening. Or what kind of mood they're in.

Last edited:

Bukowski

Oooooo, that . . . Ooooo. Yikes. I'm not of the sensitive mindset, but calling a very pregnant girl you don't even know "Prego" is simply rude. It's demeaning and disrespectful. Cmon, seriously, it surprises me you'd even consult with people here to determine whether the term was out of line. SMH.