• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

I love my new scanner!

I've given up on the stylus. If any part of your hand touches the screen, it doesn't write at all. The scanner is actually very good at scanning the signature off the back of the 3849 from pretty much any angle. The brick had to be lined up just right.

With covid rules, I "sign" the back of the 3849 when I hand the piece to the recipient, then scan it in. Once covid rules go away, the customer will sign the 3849 rather than the scanner. People understand pen & paper, and it's better if there's a green card attached anyway. I don't ever hand over my scanner to customers.
I too have become a fan of not handing the scanner over to anyone. I also will continue signing for customers for the seeable future. If and when we have to swap germs again I like that 3849 idea!

I got a signature item yesterday delivered by UPS. They did similar to USPS and signed for stuff in the customer’s presence. However, yesterday’s delivery required me to sign their scanner. Driver said they discontinued the sign for customer option.

We got our new scanners today. I was amazed at how fast it was. I was amazed at how fast you can pull up package look ahead. I was amazed at how it can read barcodes so well even the screwed up ones. I like the fact that it is so lite I can put the holster on my elastic waste band of my summer shorts and it holds the scanner while walking to the door. Doing the spm scans or what ever they are called also is a lot faster because it reads barcodes on the letters so much better and faster. The touch screen is much faster for imputing letters or numbers. I wear hyflex gloves everyday all day. I was worried I would have to go gloveless. But I set the scanner on gloves and it worked flawlessly.

So I guess what I am saying is I am amazed at the fact that so many of my colleagues hate this new scanner!

JMHO
I honestly couldn’t tell if this post was sarcasm but if not, glad you like it!

Once I have used the rubber band trick, and a few Weeks of daily use I actually don’t mind them. I still prefer he brick on non sundays, but for Sunday it has actually cut out about 30 minutes of work. Mainly because I longer have to wait a minute before I can exit out of mapping and go to delivery.

used the new scanner first time today. There should be a scan button in the front, bottom near speaker. There isn't so I will have to get used to the side buttons. Also instead of the esc button asking you to log out there should be a "Log out" option on that screen so the main screen is the last screen you could back out of. Very easy for the "do you want to log off" screen to appear. I would also remove all the useless option (4) buttons on the bottom touch screen. Just my little quick changes I would make.

Scans everything much quicker. I just have to get used to a place to put it in the truck. The holder I received is kinda annoying. But I'm sure I'll be ok with it. Overall think I would be faster with the old one.

The scan button on the side doesn't really work well. I feel I have to press it 2-3 times before it lights up. The enter button the side doesn't' work as well as the touch screen. You have to press the side enter button like 10 times to have it complete a scan. So I just press the enter button the touchscreen. I removed the back part (velcro/stylus thing so its more like a cell phone and can lay down flat). The on button is on top, hard to see.

I do 49s in the office prior to departure when noticed. The stylus on screen needs improvement. Use your finger and get same results.

As to winter time "Scammer Hammer" use. My tests results this summer of back and edge of unit for hammer use. There was no impact on performance. No Reboot.

Once I have used the rubber band trick, and a few Weeks of daily use I actually don’t mind them. I still prefer he brick on non sundays, but for Sunday it has actually cut out about 30 minutes of work. Mainly because I longer have to wait a minute before I can exit out of mapping and go to delivery.
Back when I was an RCA I would take 2 scanners. Put one on the charger in truck with the GPS/mapping speaking to me. and take another one to scan. Backing out of that option to scan takes way too long. I'm sure the new scanner is much quicker. The package lookahead option is instant on the new scanner old one took about 10-20 seconds which is a long time for us quick mailmen

so what rubber band trick are you folks talking about?

I use the square on the bottom it brings up a menu where you can press p for package look ahead and the escape takes you back ready to scan. It really is quite quick. The way it is set up there are no other letters utilized around the p so its easy peasy. So the rubber band trick would not work for me.

so what rubber band trick are you folks talking about?
Someone had posted earlier to cover the icons that are on the screen at the bottom with rubber bands so you would not inadvertently BREATHE on them and have the screen switch over to any number of OTHER options like copilot mapping and whatnot. I tried it and it does work quite well. Also, as another benefit, it helps you "feel" if you are holding the scanner "up" or "down".

I use the square on the bottom it brings up a menu where you can press p for package look ahead and the escape takes you back ready to scan. It really is quite quick. The way it is set up there are no other letters utilized around the p so its easy peasy. So the rubber band trick would not work for me.
so what are the 4 buttons on the bottom? one is to go back, one was to go to a menu (with mapping, etc) what are the other two I forget the exact symbols now since I used it once. But 2 buttons seemed to do nothing when I pressed them.

So had a new one happen today zip code got changed half way thru the day 😂😂. No clue how it even happened or when exactly going to be some confused customers.
I have had that happen to me SEVERAL times. Absolutely NO clue on how it happened. Fortunately, I caught it every time. Because I do not at all in any way trust that thing, I MUST keep an eye on it at all times. I mean ALL times. I treat it like an eight foot diamondback rattlesnake. NEVER take your eyes of of it. I know, I got one eye on the mail, one eye on the traffic, one eye on the mirrors, one eye on the scanner , one eye on the tourists, it never ends. Even when it is just sitting there I keep ANOTHER eye on it because it could strike at any time.

I must of smudged my scanner today because, WHILE I'm trying to scan a parcel for a customer right in front of them, it keep going to some manual address entry, and every time I'd hit "ESC" after a second or so it would go back!

I had to quickly hit enter so I could deliver the parcel.

Next time we should have Glock, Sig, or Smith & Wesson design our scanners. If their guns worked like our scanners do they'd be out of business tomorrow, so they can take their UI techniques & help us scan parcels. :)

Back