If anyone is curious

Ruralinfo

Administrator
Staff member
So everyone knows I am planning on retiring next year so I am going through the costs of my websites to see where I can push down some costs before I retire. I often see people speculate on how much money I probably make. Let me say this, I do make some money, but it's not enough to retire on that is for sure and doesn't even begin to cover time I put in.

There is constant work on an effort like this. You run into problems with certain apps not working with everything else, or something causing errors and you have to track down what it is. Keeping the websites secure for users is a big headache too. I am constantly fighting spammers and hackers. It is a non stop job. I can't tell you how many times I have had to switch servers because of problems with the service, or how many times I've had to restore a website due to background problems. But, I love messing with websites and learning new things so it hasn't all been a headache..

I am taking a hard look at everything I am paying out while preparing for retirement. I do hope to continue the venture into retirement but I hope to find some cheaper alternatives to what I am doing now.

So just in case you might be curious what it costs to run a group of websites like I do, here are some figures I have come up with after figuring everything up.

The list below includes:
Hosting
Website tools/apps
Domains
Mobile App
Developer License at Apple
Text message services
Plugins for WP sites
Themes for the sites
Security for all sites
Newsletter services and subscriptions
2021-06-26 at 5.31 PM.jpeg
The above charts shows a combined cost of 5119.25 a year which breaks down to 426.60 a month to run the websites I do right now.
Anyway, just thought it was something some might be curious to see..

This makes my measly $20.20,$20.21 donations to you feel not so spectacular now.
as long as your ready, willing and able to keep this place up and running during your retirement era, rest assured, I’ll donate to keep you going.
thank you for all you do to keep us all here enjoying why we come here!!!

Another thought is.... you could likely work from home and make some pretty good $$$ bank using you computer skill.... my son works mostly from his home, and pulls down an annual salary near $200k doing computer wizardry stuff....

Back to the tax deduction angle... your time should be assigned a $$$ dollar value for deductions as well.... ? (y)

This makes my measly $20.20,$20.21 donations to you feel not so spectacular now.
as long as your ready, willing and able to keep this place up and running during your retirement era, rest assured, I’ll donate to keep you going.
thank you for all you do to keep us all here enjoying why we come here!!!
Don't ever think it doesn't help. Any little bit does and I so appreciate anyone that gives..

Don't ever think it doesn't help. Any little bit does and I so appreciate anyone that gives..
I’m sure most of us appreciate what you do more than the dollar amount we give you so far.
ive never done what you do, I’ve never even LOOKED into doing one website, let alone multiple sites! I never envisioned your task being cheap, but those figures really made me think.

I can only speak for myself right now, but I hope many others on here do the same I’m thinking of doing…..
no more $$$ equals the year amount. I’m thinking double or triple the amount….. 2022 will be $40.44 or $60.66……or $80.88……
if you keep this place going, my donations will be coming…..

Please inform us how to donate. It’s probably in all those “did you read threads” that I didn’t ?

Have you decided on a date yet??? I'm thinking of going in early 2022, probably January..... ? (y)?
I am going as soon as I hit MRA and will do the MRA + 10. I will take a penalty and I am good with that. FERS will pay for insurance for me and my husband and still give me a little left over and TSP will cover the rest until I am old enough for social security. November 1st, 2022 is my target date. We have paid off debt and only have our monthly bills and house payment to make.

And to think my state pays someone $650/month to put together the bi monthly newsrag.

Have you considered challenging the rural carrier accessories providers? Shirts, hats, magnets, markers, ect? Or maybe that would add a whole new level of headache?

And to think my state pays someone $650/month to put together the bi monthly newsrag.

Have you considered challenging the rural carrier accessories providers? Shirts, hats, magnets, markers, ect? Or maybe that would add a whole new level of headache?
I have considered it but at one time I was trying to sell some from another supplier who gave me a wholesale discount and the USPS sent me a cease and desist. I have contacted USPS about getting a licensing agreement but they turned me down..

Hard to believe how cutthroat the USPS and NRLCA seem to be about a bunch of rural carriers getting together to discuss issues of mutual interest.... they're all about it's my intellectual property or that's our copyrighted symbol, etc.... stay out of my rice bowl.... ? ?‍♂️:(

When pretty much anything PT does warrants the receipt of a cease and desist letter, you know she's doing "it" right. I can just hear it now at PT's house when her hubby brings in the mail, " Honey, looks like you got another cease and desist letter. " PT replies, " Okay , just file it with the OTHERS ! "

Back