• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Impact on rural carriers on increased parcel numbers

Skierstmoritz

Over on Delphi forums there is a link to the oig inquiry wledge into rural struggles with the parcel increase. As the poster says it is a grim read. I don't have the knowledge to set up the link.

Wow, just wow.... PLENTY of rural carriers got on the OIG website and stated pretty clearly how dorked up the parcel situation is... will anybody listen or care??? I know what I think... :rolleyes:

Like every other department in usps land, I'm afraid that OIG does pollyanna reports where they just want to look good. OIG has done plenty of reports where they see all the problems in management. You know, the ones where they can't get the mail to us in a timely and appropriate manner. The ones where they show that management has the tools to do a better job, but then, OIG lets them off the hook. ......But we can do something which will at least make us feel a little better. When I post some of these audits, go to the OIG website and comment on the reports and how bad they are. They also have a section called "Audit asks".They put up where they are thinking of doing an audit. You can comment there also.

As I was reading comments on the parcel overload report... I noticed there was some fellow named "Charlie" that made a few comments about the report... does anybody know someone by that name??? :unsure:

As I was reading comments on the parcel overload report... I noticed there was some fellow named "Charlie" that made a few comments about the report... does anybody know someone by that name??? :unsure:
Are you talking about the OIG website? If the "Charlie' was a sarcastic bastard/ Yeah that'd be me. OIG has even denied my comments a couple of times... Guess I got a little too sarcastic or a little to close for their own comfort. When it comes to management's fragile pshycie I follow the old latin phrase: Paene caremus....translation...we almost care.

Yeah, they looked about like something you (or I) would write... :unsure:
DB.... I started watching the oig site a few years ago... It's nice to be able to quote an OIG audit now and then to your pm. You know, like, gee...did you read that OIG report which burned our district manager's rear end? Bet he/she is not a happy camper." Or..."how about that OIG report which shows that plants can't get out of their own way.. You know... Like how we never get our deliveries on time and in the proper mix. Imagine if someone told the OIG about our plants."..............Nothing like putting a little fear in a bad PM.. Just knowing you know something he/she doesn't know rattles their confidence and phsycie... Play with their minds and it is harder for them to try to play with yours..

All -- might as well get prepared for the dreaded Christmas Crunch / Christmas No-Overtime Period now.

-- Dig out the paper work from your last count and make a copy of the 4241 ( Rural Delivery Statistics Report ). You can put down the corresponding MON through SAT next to the dates. Put it in a page protector and keep it at the case.

-- When manglement asks when you will be back or wonders why you are out later and later, simply point out the number of parcels on the 4241 and what you have for the day.

-- No doubt, manglement will not care, but at least you have a reference for what a "normal" day had been and what it is now.

-- At least manglement walked away -- usually mumbling -- when we showed them the 4241.

I always like to do that. Hang it right on my case. It’s pretty much a reminder of what you get for your money haha. Can’t fit a size ten foot in a size six shoe. Like I said in another post, you can’t put more than 8 oz. of water in a one cup measuring device. Stupid mgt. idiots ask the same dumbass questions every holiday season. The last time I got asked what time I would be back I said I don’t know, I could hit a deer or something. Dead silence coupled with the blank stare. I walked out and got in the LLV.

I enjoy the realization that managers have when they ask me to leave a part of my route for an RCA to take so that I get back at (a certain time). I ask what do YOU want me to leave? Then they realize, they don't know, and are relying completely on my knowledge of my route, to make sure I don't get any overtime, and expect me to help them. I usually say, "If you want me to do your job, and manage the hours for my route, then give me part of your pay, otherwise I'll do the parts of the route you want me to do". Then either I am released very early for the weekly hours or I get overtime. Whatever they do, I enjoy the Christmas spirit involved, in time off or $.

Last edited:
My Christmas spirit was to the wonderful RCA's in our office...when told to leave stuff for RCA's so I'd get back "before" dispatch...I would....I'd leave as much as I could....Regulars never get OT...So pile on OT for RCA's...At least someone would get it.

I enjoy the realization that managers have when they ask me to leave a part of my route for an RCA to take so that I get back at (a certain time). I ask what do YOU want me to leave? When they realize, they don't know, and are relying completely on my knowledge of my route, to make sure I don't get any overtime, and expect me to help them. I usually say, "If you want me to do your job, and manage the hours for my route, then give me part of your pay, otherwise I'll do the parts of the route you want me to do". Then either am released very early for the weekly hours or I get overtime. Whatever they do, I enjoy the Christmas spirit involved, in time off or $.

Here's why I started this topic... Pulling up OIG audit reports and asking your management to look them up is full of pleasure... Next time tell your manager to look up DR AR-17-007 and DR AR 16-011 on the OIG website. They both say City Carriers are getting way too much OT and are forced to work in the dark because managers at plants and managers at post offices continually fail to manage properly. Stuff like not getting mail on time, improper staffing which is unrealistic, unrealistic start times, inability to monitor volume and adjust personnel to prevent problems... Basically OIG says they don't do a good job which causes dangerous situations for carriers and cause unnecessary expense for usps.. Same crap applies to us and our management.

I always like to do that. Hang it right on my case. It’s pretty much a reminder of what you get for your money haha. Can’t fit a size ten foot in a size six shoe. Like I said in another post, you can’t put more than 8 oz. of water in a one cup measuring device. Stupid mgt. idiots ask the same dumbass questions every holiday season. The last time I got asked what time I would be back I said I don’t know, I could hit a deer or something. Dead silence coupled with the blank stare. I walked out and got in the LLV.

Manager was hassling me that I wasn't delivering the "free" Christmas Amazon's quickly enough...

I responded that " it is what it is ." (4 hampers, just parcels)

He said, "No it isn't." ????????????

Manager was hassling me that I wasn't delivering the "free" Christmas Amazon's quickly enough...

How often do you get comments back from management types and all you can think is .......HERE'S YOUR SIGN.....

Increased parcel numbers can impact rural carriers?? No way, you should be able to beat your weekly evaluation computed to a daily average every day, no matter what the circumstances!

(Yes, they accidentally gave me a half day's worth of supervisor training. )

During Christmas overtime I had a new manager trying to make "points" sit behind me while I sorted raw and say loudly on the workroom floor that I sorted slower than a "Green Rca on a new route". I stopped my worked and asked to speak in the office , which was refused. I spent 1/2 hour to go speak to the pm and explain "real" supervisors aren't allowed to treat employees in this manner. I was sorting a pile of Christmas cards with old/bad addresses that had to be sorted by name so my customers would get them for Christmas. That "supervisor" has gone back to carrying a route and is not happy about it.

Had a manager yell at me in sight and hearing of all at the front window. I immediately went to see brand new PM, explained to her that this should never happen, but especially not in front of customers.

This manager ended up in a small office with no other employees as part of someone else's charges against her. Good riddance.

This happened before the incredible increase in the amount of parcels that are affecting rural carriers.

Been waiting for something like that with several diff ones, don't think any I have now would do it.

Will call 911, State police report, restraining order, etc. Never mind going thru USPS channels where they can bury everything. Let them show up to work with a restraining order on them.

Too bad if the hospital leaks something to the media.

Of course, this will be after the increase in parcels affects all rural carriers.?

Last edited:
Back