Interesting thing on HC route. Doesn't smell right

Windindaface

HC who has been trying to find relief with no takers after the I'll show you my case and a ride around Shadow day. Has no relief had an accident yesterday. They are ok but will be out for weeks.

Today a former relief carrier who quit when route was awarded a few years ago to newer HC runner was in office working.

How is that possible?

RDruckus

Maybe he's now a sub-contractor.

It's the only scenario that I can come up with that could possibly explain it.

Windindaface

What about the background checks since they left service? How are they scanning in to use scammer? Just saying hoops of fire to go through to get hired as a newbie that take days or weeks.

I did not ask or care this morning because I got a heads up from my assigned RCA late last night about their inability to cover today due to medical issues with their rents. One of their parents was on their last days and passed today.

I thank my RCA for giving me a heads up early in my short coverage office.

King

What about the background checks since they left service? How are they scanning in to use scammer? Just saying hoops of fire to go through to get hired as a newbie that take days or weeks.

I did not ask or care this morning because I got a heads up from my assigned RCA late last night about their inability to cover today due to medical issues with their rents. One of their parents was on their last days and passed today.

I thank my RCA for giving me a heads up early in my short coverage office.
Prayers sent.

RDruckus

I've heard of HC routes using " undocumented aliens" as fill-ins.
(This made me presume they had no background checks!)

I don't know if that's true, we have no highway contract routes in my station.

DB.Cooper

I've heard of HC routes using " undocumented aliens" as fill-ins.
(This made me presume they had no background checks!)

I don't know if that's true, we have no highway contract routes in my station.
Yeah we've had peeps on HC route that flat out said they were there because they couldn't get a RCA gig due to driving and "other" convictions.... :rolleyes:

EthelAnne

OK, don't know anything about HCRs, but a quick Google turns up this: https://www.nalc.org/workplace-issues/resources/manuals/other/SP-1-July-2013-Highway-Contract-Routes.pdf

12.121 A route may be operated personally by the supplier (owner-operator) or the supplier may elect to hire employees. If the supplier’s hired employees are used regularly, they must be paid the wages and fringe benefits in accordance with the Service Contract Act and the current wage determination attached to the contract. Also, the supplier is responsible for training its hired employees in accordance with the standardized training programs established by the Postal Service for CDS.

And then, further on in this document, it looks like the contractor who wins the route is the only one who has to go through background checks, etc.:

13. 134. 11 Screening
Administrative Officials must collect screening information from suppliers on the following forms:
  1. One original PS Form 2025, Contract Personnel Questionnaire.
  2. One original PS Form 2181-C, Authorization and Release — Background Investigation.
  3. Two original forms FD-258, Fingerprint Card.
  4. Original driving record (5-year motor vehicle record).
  5. Certification of negative drug screening results.
  6. Transmittal cover sheet, including the Administrative Official’s name, telephone number, facility name, mailing address, and a notation if the applicant is a non-driving contract employee.

EthelAnne

The one in my office uses a guest badge. He doesn't hold the contract. Also both aux and ptf will carry the route from time to time. $12/hr and no mileage with pov. These are the pets and couldn't possibly believe the pm is screwing them😂
Why on earth would they agree to do this at that pay rate? They really have the contractor over the barrel--the contractor can lose the contract if they fail to deliver the mail. I'd demand AT LEAST my OT rate . . .

Morty

@EthelAnne thus the use of pets.

They carried that route for a month with a contractor no show. I told the ptf to refuse and he might get a full time gig. But a pet never challenges the master. It's not worth a full time route if it makes the master unhappy😥

Windindaface

I was informed today there are 3 people who were former "coverage" who are eligible to cover the HC route. When HC coverage leaves the run they do not have to separate themselves from the post office. Their ID # stays in the system along with their initial background check. So if "coverage" leaves the HC and wants to come back years later, they do not have to go through a vigorous background check, fingerprints and are issued a new badge to scan.

@Morty... anytime an RCA or PTF is required to cover an HC run, they are paid their current hourly wage. This wage that was earned by them is deducted directly from the HC carriers monthly check.

Morty

@Windindaface i know. But these folks didn't want to upset the pm.

They send invoices to the contractor for pay.

And Im not about to help, and neither is the ADR who told both of them they get their rates and benefits and it's the PMs responsibility to send an invoice to the contractor. You can't fix pets.