It's their money and they want it now

Dink Winkerson

So my pension hasn't been finalized from OPM yet. That's fine no rush. I get a letter few days ago from them stating I need to make a decision.

Turns out retirement deductions weren't taking out back in the last century for a short period of time so I need to pay it back with INTEREST if I wish to have a higher monthly payment paid to me. I don't have to pay but monthly will be reduced by about 32 dollars if I don't.
They don't list the original amount not taken out ...just the 6 month period of that year when it happened. I owe almost 1000 supposedly.
OPM was so backed up when I retired, they gave me an "estimated" check for about 3-4 months until they finalized what my pension would be. The final amount was about $17 more than their estimate, so it should be reasonably close.

Bennie Franklin

I owe almost 1000 supposedly.
For some reason this thread was irritating to read. People should be EXPERTS on mail counts and when within 5 years, RETIREMENT. You don't OWE anything. You were given an ACCURATE amount as to what your pension was worth from the time you became regular. AS A BONUS, AND A FAVOR, they are offering to let you buy a portion of the additional time from BEFORE you became regular, from when you were a sub with no benefits. You don't have to accept the favor. An informed person would have known and been prepared or even made the payment before it accrued too much interest.

Dollydagger

I fully understand what it is about now thank you. Yes I should have realized this if I had done my homework beforehand. I knew buying back had been talked about here before but honestly had always thought it didn't apply to me.
Please accept my apology for not meeting your high standards. I'll try to do better in the future.
P.S. Also please excuse any grammatical errors I may have made here.

Last edited:

Bennie Franklin

P.S. Also please excuse any grammatical errors I may have made here.
Sorry but the entire thread was grating. Yeah, I could have excused someone (you) who didn't know, or care what their options were. Thats your business. But then the " all managers are bad crowd" showed up, and the conspiracy people, and then some veterans who should have KNOWN what was going on chimed in with the negative. AND, You really should have put a comma after "Yes (comma) I WOULD (not shood) have realized this had I done my homework."

Dollydagger

Sorry but the entire thread was grating. Yeah, I could have excused someone (you) who didn't know, or care what their options were. Thats your business. But then the " all managers are bad crowd" showed up, and the conspiracy people, and then some veterans who should have KNOWN what was going on chimed in with the negative. AND, You really should have put a comma after "Yes (comma) I WOULD (not shood) have realized this had I done my homework."
Thats my business.

I guess I shood have begun a sentence with and.

hunchback

Sorry but the entire thread was grating. Yeah, I could have excused someone (you) who didn't know, or care wha Oi t their options were. Thats your business. But then the " all managers are bad crowd" showed up, and the conspiracy people, and then some veterans who should have KNOWN what was going on chimed in with the negative. AND, You really should have put a comma after "Yes (comma) I WOULD (not shood) have realized this had I done my homework."
My guess is either Oi veh is right, and you are management, or you are a 30 something year old carrier with about 5 years as a Regular who assumes they have it all figured out.

So a little education wouldn't hurt, right.

So the only way Carriers found things out were from the Union or Management in the last century.

Before the creation of the RCA position substitute carriers were RCR's who's time counted toward retirement.

Yes we were giving back benefits in the 1980's also. Do you think the Union would brag about the benefits our craft lost back then?

There was no special training when you went regular last century.

HR was only accessible Tuesday through Thursday if they answered the phone at all last century.

In the late 1980's Al Gore hadn't fully developed the internet "He Invented"

Fast Forward to today.

Can you fully explain to all of us how RRECS will work, IN DETAIL, we know you do your homework?

WE WOULD REALLY APRECIATE THE EDUCATION YOU CAN PROVIDE US