July 4th

Boxholder

Holiday Leave from the ELM
518.2 Holidays on Nonscheduled Workdays

518.21 Saturday

When a holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is observed as the holiday.

518.22 Sunday

When a holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday is observed as the holiday.

518.23 Nonscheduled Workday

When an employee’s nonscheduled workday falls on a day observed as a holiday, the employee’s scheduled workday preceding the holiday is designated as that employee’s holiday.

518.3 Holidays on Scheduled Workdays

Holidays falling on an employee’s scheduled workday are observed on those days.

Windindaface

Grievances going on in my office over that Holiday week. It seems some were denied due to lack of coverage because someone signed a leave slip for a non earning leave RCA for the week after.

It's not me. Standing in the front row for results. I'm guessing once signed.....

btdtret

Windindaface et al -- " Grievances going on in my office over that Holiday week. It seems some were denied due to lack of coverage because someone signed a leave slip for a non earning leave RCA for the week after. "

-- Scheduling AND approving leave slips is the responsibility of manglement. ( numerous references available )

-- First come, first served, no matter of designation. The ( lucky ) RCA was letting manglement know he / she would not be available for the request time frame.

-- A signed 3971 is like a ticket to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

DB.Cooper

I have a Monday K Day.... what's the recommended play here.... annual on Friday and Tuesday??? Or.... would Tuesday and Wednesday be better??? :unsure:

Jules Pontiac

I strongly disagree with the concept stated by dtdret that "first come first served NO MATTER OF DESIGNATION" (my emphasis)
the argument that leave is granted on a first come first serve basis is a logical conclusion to article 10 stating leave shall be granted to regular rural carriers as long as a relief carrier is available as once you run out of available relief carriers leave starts getting denied
Scheduling is indeed management's responsibility
Everyone should know management has a right to mis manage
But outside of PTF's or RCA's working 90+ days on a vacant route and earning leave
RCA's have no leave to be granted! You cannot grant them something they don't have!
They are granted permission to be "unavailable" when "their leave slip is approved"
they are not paid/they are not charged LWOP/they are unavailable in contract language

gotstamps

I strongly disagree with the concept stated by dtdret that "first come first served NO MATTER OF DESIGNATION" (my emphasis)
the argument that leave is granted on a first come first serve basis is a logical conclusion to article 10 stating leave shall be granted to regular rural carriers as long as a relief carrier is available as once you run out of available relief carriers leave starts getting denied
Scheduling is indeed management's responsibility
Everyone should know management has a right to mis manage
But outside of PTF's or RCA's working 90+ days on a vacant route and earning leave
RCA's have no leave to be granted! You cannot grant them something they don't have!
They are granted permission to be "unavailable" when "their leave slip is approved"
they are not paid/they are not charged LWOP/they are unavailable in contract language
Still... RCAs must request to be “unavailable” & as long as there is a leave replacement (or Regular for a swap), mgmt must approve. A Regular requesting leave after can be denied as the RCA with approved “leave-LWOP” is no longer available.

1st come, 1st serve.

Jules Pontiac

gotstamps with all due respect
please show me where in any binding document it is stated that management MUST approve an RCA request to be unavailable if the conditions you stated are met
I am of the opinion that language in the contract applies to LEAVE
i agree that just on a whim with no explanation due anyone management can grant an RCA unavailability
and I agree that once management says the sub is unavailable then the sub is unavailable to any regular requesting leave

gotstamps

July 4th is on a Saturday this year. My J day. Do I get Friday off even though it is a different pay period?
July 4th Relief Days will receive Friday off as their Holiday. Mgmt can schedule a Holiday Carrier to work prior to using a Friday RDWL Carrier if mgmt chooses. Taking Thursday, July 2nd, protects your Holiday if you’re not wanting to work.

gotstamps

please show me where in any binding document it is stated that management MUST approve an RCA request to be unavailable if the conditions you stated are met
i agree that just on a whim with no explanation due anyone management can grant an RCA unavailability
and I agree that once management says the sub is unavailable then the sub is unavailable to any regular requesting leave
If a Leave Replacement is available to work for another Leave Replacement, there‘s no viable Reason for mgmt to deny that sub their request for LWOP. Once mgmt approves their leave, they are unavailable.
The ELM also speaks to Leave of all types & does not differentiate between Regular Carriers, RCAs, or any other Craft. Mgmt cannot go back & say no except in extreme emergency situation. The ELM does say that All Previously Approved Leave Must be Honored.

Twingrlie

There is no MUST. There’s only one reason leave can be denied and it’s ‘no leave replacement available’. If a sub is available, your leave is approved based on first come first served. RCAs have lives too. If it were me, I’d plan my year in advanced and turn in everyday for the entire year that I wanted off all in one shot. Do this, and then you have nothing to worry about. If your leave is being denied for anything other than what’s stated above, file a grievance.

DB.Cooper

I have a Monday K Day.... what's the recommended play here.... annual on Friday and Tuesday??? Or.... would Tuesday and Wednesday be better???

Anybody have a recommendation..... I'm leaning toward Tues. & Weds..... :unsure:

Skierstmoritz

I have a Monday K Day.... what's the recommended play here.... annual on Friday and Tuesday??? Or.... would Tuesday and Wednesday be better???

Anybody have a recommendation..... I'm leaning toward Tues. & Weds..... :unsure:
Lucky you DB! Must be nice to have subs in the office! Sigh....all regulars working Friday, our holiday....off sat and all regulars working Sunday and Monday.....no subs to be had anywhere!

gotstamps

You’re already going to be off on the HARD day, I wouldn’t bother with taking off at all... unless you’re trying to protect your K-day. If so then take Tuesday.