Just about to go regular, then....

Voglio-il mio

D.Cooper et al -- "Isn't it simply AMAZING.... how many peeps have gotten on here and said Amazon drops started RIGHT after their last mail count... now we have them stopping right before mail counts... what a coincidence... simply AMAZING.. "

-- Maybe that should be "AMAZONING."

-- It describes the action taken by a company that begins parcel drops to a post office soon after a count has concluded.

-- The phenomenon also occurs when a company stops parcel drops at a post office right before a count begins.
I don't know about the rest of you but the numbers for DPS and Flats have gone out the roof this week! One might suggest that some Hanky Panky was going on to clean up the Plants prior to the Special Count ( Sept. 17 - 30). No never mind that would never happen.

Morty

@borkna y'all need to address this in a pre count conference asap.

I would document the drop. Cite the contract about increase. And have the PM sign off on IF amzn returns, a 2 week count will be conducted. When he disagrees, you all grieve it.

jtcrapper

I know your pain held down a small j for four years. The route was awarded four years after I converted to full time The best thing you can do snug your belt tight and fight for everything you can get in the count

DB.Cooper

You can tell on my office it's pre count. Our DPS has doubled, as well as packages. They're cleaning out the plants. Pushing it all through as sloppy as possible.
Last 12 working days of Sept... so it's gonna start on the 17th... nobody is counting in my office, but it does look like their pushing a bunch of stuff out of the plant, and they've been making sure everything is in DPS as well.... get ready for the royal screwin', Borkna....

borkna

@borkna Are the other routes counting? Did the other routes meet the requirements for this count?
At least one of the two that were going to offer up some of their routes are counting. I'm not sure what requirements they needed to meet, but one of the routes is at 9.5 hours per day, and wants a chunk taken off. I ran that route yesterday and got back in 7 hours, since it was light. :/

borkna

just keep the edit book up to date. it sounds like your growing fast enough to become a regular route, without taking anything from other routes.
Yes, the subdivisions that are the route are growing really fast. It's really pretty nuts. And the big section one of the carriers wants to give up is growing fast, too.

borkna

It's so weird. Today was a fairly normal day. I had over 150 parcels on my primary. Fairly typical for a Wednesday. Yesterday was super light, and I think Monday had less parcels than today. I expected the day after Labor Day to be a little lighter than it was last year, since Amazon has been delivering something like 50% of their own stuff, but it was insane. I'm surprised I didn't see any posts on here about the day after Labor Day. I was out well after 6:30. There were some contractors out til almost 9pm.
But my point is, it almost seems random with Amazon now. Like they have a few people working for them for this area, and we take their parcels out when they have a day off....like the day after Labor Day.

Last edited:

Skierstmoritz

It's crazy. I've mentioned it here multiple times. With my office, 1 weeks after the last count we were told they would be starting amazon drops. 2 weeks after than phone call they started. I have told my DR this and said that it seems impossible that the simple logistics weren't being worked on during or before the count and they KNEW they would be starting immediately after mail count as to intentionally not have to pay the carrier. She agreed and gave the "oh well, what are we going to do?" line.

Honestly, Amazon is straight profit for the P.O. at my office. I don't blame them too much. It's sleazy for sure but that's what we have a union for. It's amazing that the union can openly admit we are being taken advantage of yet accept it and have no course of action to resolve it.

All I want is a mail count, or the option to count. Instead, knowing full well that RRECS won't be implemented for the duration of this entire contract, our union agrees to no mail counts. Oh wait, they didn't agree to NO counts, they just agrees the P.O. can have one every September if they see fit. I guess they don't realize the P.O. has all the data and if they can see they are profiting off of rural carriers not being paid what they should be according to evaluation as a whole, they can avoid counts. If they see that tons of carriers are being paid for things like amazon that has STOPPED coming they can count. It's truly ridiculous.
Total profit is right! Amazon appeared in 2015 after a count, we counted in 2018, it disappeared 3 weeks prior to count and magically reappears shortly after count. I was credited with @57 scans for count. Today, 188. My average is 170. Nrlca is useless! They know!

DB.Cooper

Total profit is right! Amazon appeared in 2015 after a count, we counted in 2018, it disappeared 3 weeks prior to count and magically reappears shortly after count. I was credited with @57 scans for count. Today, 188. My average is 170. Nrlca is useless! They know!
They have no shame... crooked bastids... 😳

RDruckus

It's so weird. Today was a fairly normal day. I had over 150 parcels on my primary. Fairly typical for a Wednesday. Yesterday was super light, and I think Monday had less parcels than today. I expected the day after Labor Day to be a little lighter than it was last year, since Amazon has been delivering something like 50% of their own stuff, but it was insane. I'm surprised I didn't see any posts on here about the day after Labor Day. I was out well after 6:30. There were some contractors out til almost 9pm.
But my point is, it almost seems random with Amazon now. Like they have a few people working for them for this area, and we take their parcels out when they have a day off....like the day after Labor Day.
We had a few hiccups in the mail stream because of the hurricane. Back to normal now.

Rcflyn

We had a few hiccups in the mail stream because of the hurricane. Back to normal now.
Our hiccups was a mercury spill in Rochester, I think that’s cleared out, but, mail has been unusually high in my office this week (and last week)..... today for instance, Wednesday, I generally only get a tray of dps (1 1/2 tops for Wednesday’s) today I had 4 trays.... but it gets even better. One of those trays of dps was ALL HAND SORT. Not hand sorry brought from the clerk, it came on the truck, marked to my route, just as dps does. When all was said and done, I had 3 trays pure dps, with a tray and a half handsorts..... come to find out, every route in office also had a tray of hand sorts in their dps also. Every one of us. When I heard the first carrier mention the tray of hand sort in dps, I immediately looked at mine, and sure enough, I found my tray of hand sort. About an hour later, it was discovered we all had one. By this time, it was to late to do anything about it, but I did mention “to bad we all didn’t discover this sooner, maybe we could all have sent back the tray of hand sort, and let the machines put it in order as we all believed it was”....... all of our flats was a bit on the light side today (but a bit heavier than a normal Wednesday) we all hade more packages than a normal Wednesday, and we all had way more dps than normal for a Wednesday.....
I too think they’re clearing everything out for count.....

But, can they just throw a count on us Willy nilly??? I’ve been through 5 counts on my old aux route, but never attended a union count training (I worked 2 jobs back then, and training was always held when I needed to sleep for my REAL job)...
Can they drop a count on me without me being trained for count?

DB.Cooper

You can tell on my office it's pre count. Our DPS has doubled, as well as packages. They're cleaning out the plants. Pushing it all through as sloppy as possible.
Today I had GEICO Gecko's, Progressive Flo mail, Hughes Nets, etc., etc... all in DPS... junk galore... they must have told all of the junk mailers, get it out now, because you're gonna have to take a pause until next month... :rolleyes:

Maybe we'll get a couple of easy weeks, starting about next Tuesday... :unsure:

Last edited:

btdtret

Rcflyn et al -- "But, can they just throw a count on us Willy nilly?"

-- Sorry, this Special Count during the last 12 working days of September is hardly "willy nilly."

-- It is part of the contract. Article 9.2.11.b. Special mail counts must be made during the last twelve ( 12 ) working days in September.

-- The PGM made it known at the national convention that where would not be a National Mail Count over the last 12 working days of September. Article 9.2.C.3.a.(3). The Employer reserves the right to conduct a national mail count of mail for all rural routes during the last tweleve ( 12 ) working days in September of any year. The Employer agrees to notify the Union at the national level at least thirty ( 30 ) days in advance of the commencement of the count.

-- With no national count, that left the door open for routes that quaified for a Special Count.

"Can they drop a count on me without me being trained for count? "

-- If your route does not qualify for a special count, you won't be counted.

-- Having been through 5 counts, hopefully you picked up enough to keep some of your route's standard hours.

-- Worse yet, probably some of the counters being used know less than you - whether they attended count training or not.

-- Still time to down load the 2018 NRLCA Mail Count Guide from the NRLCA web site -- if a member.

-- Or search for "mail count guide" in the search box in RI's KNOWLEDGEBASE section.

-- Standards will still be based upon the current ones since the RRECS has not been implemented.

sjparker

So, I am the senior RCA at my office. There's an auxiliary that was suppose to gain enough territory to become a regular route. The count is next week, and literally this week, Amazon started delivering like 95% of their own parcels. We went from getting 8-11 pallets on a regular day, down to about 6, and now we are getting 2.

Two routes were about to cut off some of their territory to give to the aux. I doubt they will do that now. Normally Mondays are insane. Yesterday, everyone was back by 3 or 3:30. Amazon was more than 50% of our daily load. We still get a lot of first class and priority parcels, but it's nothing like it was with Amazon.

I was hoping for the route to at least become a 40H...or whatever the minimum is for me to go regular on it.

If the territory from the other routes was still given up, the route would end up having about 550 boxes. Can anyone say how many boxes the PO expects a route to have to become a regular route? I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into it.

I was really hoping to not have to be the office bitch anymore. I hate it so much, but have put up with it and have done everything I have been told to do, with hopes of becoming a regular. Don't know what to think now. I guess my job as an RCA is about to get a lot easier. Hopefully I will have a little more time with my family now. I have been doing this for them, anyway. So many times I've apologized to my wife for not having time because of the PO. I have told her over and over that soon enough, I should be a regular and things will change once that happens.

UGH.

Sorry, I mainly just need to vent and cry a little....
they hold the auxilary as a bank for the other regular routes. So if all the routes lose with the count, they can bring them back up to at least a 40K route. I know when we went DPS on letters the three regular routes loss like 2 hours and they actually pulled from the auxiliary. left it just within a whisper of being completely gone.

borkna

They're still saying that the route is going regular. I think they're doing some serious carrot dangling right now with me. I don't understand the mentality. They love living on the edge with everything at our office.
Like everyone else is saying, we are getting the plant clean-out. Tons of junk mail. I got slammed with flats out the yin-yang today.

Windindaface

@borkna .. Welcome to the Machine. You live life on the edge when it comes to count time with the few days prior. No REG routes being counted or AUX runs in my cluster.

We all noticed a dramatic increase in our volume this past week for DPS and presort. It was brutal. Nobody beat their assigned time for return. We had 2 full coverage ads yesterday. 1 was in DPS the other was a extra pick from. Today 3 routes got their water and electric bills along with 7' of pre sort flats.

On the norm I am the only one who can bank on full coverage electric bills on the 2nd Saturday of every month.

borkna

@borkna .. Welcome to the Machine. You live life on the edge when it comes to count time with the few days prior. No REG routes being counted or AUX runs in my cluster.

We all noticed a dramatic increase in our volume this past week for DPS and presort. It was brutal. Nobody beat their assigned time for return. We had 2 full coverage ads yesterday. 1 was in DPS the other was a extra pick from. Today 3 routes got their water and electric bills along with 7' of pre sort flats.

On the norm I am the only one who can bank on full coverage electric bills on the 2nd Saturday of every month.
I had about 5-6' of presorted flats on that aux today! lol! Then right as I was thinking I was about to get on the road, I came across a full tub of unsorted flats, and I had already done 1/2 of another. Just crazy for that little aux.