Just in

Skierstmoritz

I work in a small 6 route rural office. So take this with a grain of salt. Ystrdy our pm who used to be a carrier said that upper management is talking about a count. Says that the big deal is that management is attempting to move the Sept count to February. If so, can our union veto this because rrecs hasn't been implemented? I understand that the po can unilaterally call for a Sept count without nrlca approval. Can they do the same in Feb? Not looking forward to a Feb count.

Toolology

I work in a small 6 route rural office. So take this with a grain of salt. Ystrdy our pm who used to be a carrier said that upper management is talking about a count. Says that the big deal is that management is attempting to move the Sept count to February. If so, can our union veto this because rrecs hasn't been implemented? I understand that the po can unilaterally call for a Sept count without nrlca approval. Can they do the same in Feb? Not looking forward to a Feb count.
Tell her she is full of it besides September count the contract has no other counts in it, so February is not happening

Last edited:

Skierstmoritz

What contract? Aren't we between contracts? And under the existing 2015-2018 contract? Which would allow a 2020 count. Not trying to dispute you, just trying to figure why she would say that? She was a rural carrier.

Toolology

What contract? Aren't we between contracts? And under the existing 2015-2018 contract? Which would allow a 2020 count. Not trying to dispute you, just trying to figure why she would say that? She was a rural carrier.
Well contract votes are due Aug 2nd, we will know very soon if it passes no counts besides September in new contract. Another management shit stirrer

btdtret

Skierstmoritz et al -- " Ystrdy our pm who used to be a carrier said that upper management is talking about a count. Says that the big deal is that management is attempting to move the Sept count to February."

-- Please invite your PM to look at Article 9.2.C.3.a.(3):

The Employer reserves the right to conduct a NATIONAL COUNT of mail for ALL rural routes during the last twelve ( 12 ) working days in September of ANY YEAR. The Employer AGREES to notify the Union at the national level at least THIRTY ( 30 ) DAYS in advance of the commencement of count.

-- That notification should be around 17 August -- when everyone will be recovering from the national convention.

-- Have some fun and put pressure on the PM to discover just how the USPS will move the count when the contract is pretty specifin on the time frame.

-- Of course, both the USPS and the NRLCA have ignored arbitration before -- just look at what has come to be called RRECS.

-- Arbitrator Wells changed the counts from September to February-March time frame. Arbitrator Clarke's Award accepted the NRCLA proposal for 2-weak and 3-weak counts in the FEB-MAR time frame.

-- I believe there were 2-week September counts in 2011 and 2012 - because of contract extentions.

-- To have a contractual count moved from September to February-March without the NRLCA raising a finger, that would certainly make it a SPECIAL COUNT!

"What contract? Aren't we between contracts?"

-- Yes - it is between contract time. In which case, the previous contract ( 2015-2018 ) stipulations remain in place until superceded by a new contract. ( maybe some time in 2019 or 2020 if the "good" contract is voted down and the process then goes to arbitration )

"And under the existing 2015-2018 contract? Which would allow a 2020 count."

-- Unlike the 2010-2015 contract which included a count for FEB-MAR 2016, the 2015-2018 contract did not provide for a 2017 count let alone a 2019 or beyond count.

martian

The only thing I can come up with is a "mini count" as part of RRECS implementation. So it would be for only specific items, such as raw letters. However, if the union agrees to a nationwide mini count rather than random (no advanced notice and thus no manipulation) mini counts, we are set up for another failure.

Iguanus

Article 9.2.C.3.a.1 and 2. Mail Counts
  • Parties agree to discuss interim method for evaluating routes in lieu of national mail counts

If our new contract is approved then the above could open up some possibilities.

flash

Well contract votes are due Aug 2nd, we will know very soon if it passes no counts besides September in new contract. Another management shit stirrer
IDK, I asked about Sept count today and PM said, you mean Feb count.
I say no, Sept.
She say I don't think so..

DB.Cooper

• Parties agree to discuss interim method for evaluating routes in lieu of national mail counts

If our new contract is approved then the above could open up some possibilities.
This new provision could open the door for an "Opt in/Opt out" count in February... never say never... it is the USPS after all... 😳

martian

I would hope this union would not agree to a one-way count in February, where USPS chooses which routes to count. Isn't it ironic USPS didn't want to give carriers the opportunity to insist on an individual count in February but may want a non-contractual count through a closed door deal?

Haychica

No

Shafted

Sounds like this PM is full of garbage. The types who like to make up the “well I heard that national........”, are usually just trying to act as if they have an inside track on something just to feel important. 99.99% of the time they are making it up, and blowing smoke just to get a reaction, and act like a big deal stirring the pot. Two best responses are, 1- ignore and walk away without a word, or 2- cite the article of the contract that shows the provisions for a national count, and walk away before a discussion ensues. I used to shut these wanna-be nobodies down fast before they had a chance to incite riots amongst the uninformed sheep.

Rt2mailman

Fed-X recently cut ties with Amazon due to the low rate Amazon was "willing" to pay for their parcel delivery. That means the USPS, UPS, and whatever/whenever Amazon delivers their own, will be "taking up the slack".
That means we and UPS will have a ton more parcels in near future if not already. With all of that being said, the USPS would be even more stupid than they were when they made the last contract with Amazon, to have a count in September. Therefore that is the proof that your pm is full of... fertilizer.

DB.Cooper

Who's doing the Amazon deliveries on Sunday that the USPS has been losing??? Is that Bezos and his shiny new fleet of Mercedes??? :unsure:

Haychica

Key word is : " DISCUSS"...js

Skierstmoritz

Sounds like this PM is full of garbage. The types who like to make up the “well I heard that national........”, are usually just trying to act as if they have an inside track on something just to feel important. 99.99% of the time they are making it up, and blowing smoke just to get a reaction, and act like a big deal stirring the pot. Two best responses are, 1- ignore and walk away without a word, or 2- cite the article of the contract that shows the provisions for a national count, and walk away before a discussion ensues. I used to shut these wanna-be nobodies down fast before they had a chance to incite riots amongst the uninformed sheep.
Ordinarily shaft , I would agree with you, however this pm has no ego to show off, respects us carriers and always has our backs. Seems to think that upper management is conniving for some sort of Feb count, not Sept. I could be totally off base here but pm has always been straight with us. Rare, I know.

btdtret

All -- there was a Task Farce set up to address alternatives to the current mail count procedures.

-- And the results were....chirp!

-- Actually pretty much the same for the other Task Farces set up by MOU's.

-- As noted previously, "discuss" is the operative word. Probably more like where to meet for lunch to continue the "discussions".

-- A Report? We don't need to do any stinkin' report!