• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Last Mile Delivery Failure

blamethesub

My PM got an email telling him to investigate why I had a last mile delivery failure for a first-class letter.

I'd done an SPM scan of this letter 3 days prior. It took 11 days for it to be delivered from Hawaii to NC, and they wanted me to explain why. Really?

PM discovered it hadn't passed through any DPS equipment after its acceptance, so it must have been manually sorted. I case my DPS, so I don't know. Besides, who remembers one letter from 3 days ago? All I could say was I delivered it the day I received it, as always.

Why would anyone try to hold me accountable for a letter that took 11 days to arrive? There was no customer complaint or inquiry. Have they forgotten about all the Christmas cards I delivered in February, thanks to covid delays? Also, how can it be a last mile failure when it was in USPS possession from start to finish?

If it never saw a dps machine and it wasn’t delivery confirmation, how would anyone reasonably know -anything- about it?

I don’t know the plant, but doesn’t the barcode that allows informed delivery and spm to work come from the dps machine?

In other words if it was manually handled the whole way, you could not have scanned it if you wanted to.
The initial intake barcode happens from a clerk or carrier at a deposit point. Collection drops and such. They are to scan x number of random pieces for tracking. But, if the piece they scanned was non conforming or damaged in some way or a window envelope, it may not have been able to process on machines. Every once in a while, they run internal retest pieces as well. These originate within the usps mgmt for tracking to another district. It's a backup to the spm system in hopes one of them will provide accurate data.

The initial intake barcode happens from a clerk or carrier at a deposit point. Collection drops and such. They are to scan x number of random pieces for tracking. But, if the piece they scanned was non conforming or damaged in some way or a window envelope, it may not have been able to process on machines. Every once in a while, they run internal retest pieces as well. These originate within the usps mgmt for tracking to another district. It's a backup to the spm system in hopes one of them will provide accurate data.
Yes. And machine failure. The initial spray barcode does in no way assure accurate and timely delivery beyond the point of recording the code. I've had a test piece never be delivered, and the inquiry of that piece. My truth is "everything I get, i deliver on the day I receive it." The piece in question could have been missorted or missent in DPS or manual. There are many failure exceptions. Just like non tracked first class letters.

My PM got an email telling him to investigate why I had a last mile delivery failure for a first-class letter.

I'd done an SPM scan of this letter 3 days prior. It took 11 days for it to be delivered from Hawaii to NC, and they wanted me to explain why. Really?

PM discovered it hadn't passed through any DPS equipment after its acceptance, so it must have been manually sorted. I case my DPS, so I don't know. Besides, who remembers one letter from 3 days ago? All I could say was I delivered it the day I received it, as always.

Why would anyone try to hold me accountable for a letter that took 11 days to arrive? There was no customer complaint or inquiry. Have they forgotten about all the Christmas cards I delivered in February, thanks to covid delays? Also, how can it be a last mile failure when it was in USPS possession from start to finish?
Oh you want me to explain it.... how about this.... it's probably the same reason parcels are in my lookahead everyday at the end of the day... they misroute and send $#!+ to the wrong PO's and misroute it all the hail over the place... what's the big mystery???? Happens everyday..... :unsure: ?‍♂️?

The proper protocol in this situation is uncontrollable, hysterical crying. Total nervous breakdown.

A few "Oh the humanity!" gasps tossed in between sobs. Finally, "I don't think I can work anymore today after this stressor, please call an EAP counselor."

Nothing short of a face-to-face meeting with the person in Hawaii that mailed this letter could ever heal such a wound. Preferably on a large, isolated beach for Covid safety.

We get ENTIRE SETS OF BOXHOLDERS .... for the entire office that are expired sale ads all the time.... thousands of mail pieces.... and so now they wanna ask about ONE letter.... sheezy Louisy.... talk about missing the forest for the tree(s).... :unsure: ?‍♂️:rolleyes:

We get ENTIRE SETS OF BOXHOLDERS .... for the entire office that are expired sale ads all the time.... thousands of mail pieces.... and so now they wanna ask about ONE letter.... sheezy Louisy.... talk about missing the forest for the tree(s).... :unsure: ?‍♂️:rolleyes:
Yah they do some very unusual stuff...years ago as an RCA, one of the offices I worked in had about 40 rural routes. After doing the route I was assigned, the PM would give me perhaps 30 first class letters, and told me to go deliver them, that we HAD to connect the mail to our customers. Three hours driving, 30 letters delivered to the addressees. Job well done!

]Yah they do some very unusual stuff...years ago as an RCA, one of the offices I worked in had about 40 rural routes. After doing the route I was assigned, the PM would give me perhaps 30 first class letters, and told me to go deliver them, that we HAD to connect the mail to our customers. Three hours driving, 30 letters delivered to the addressees. Job well done!
Pretty much eveyday, I have 1st Class and PRIORITY parcels left in my lookahead.... when I look them up on my phone, they've been misrouted to the WRONG PO'S and arrived there.... but, it's all good as long as they can't blame a carrier for it..... :unsure: ?‍♂️:oops:

Last edited:
Back