• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

leaving certifieds discussion

Been a lot of discussion in our group chat for our office bout this. In academy we were told and trained to use 3849 with a signature by customer as proper procedure. still A few regs that will use this for signature items, but most of us now refuse.

My issue with this entire thing is why would academy train and teach me that way. Part of me just wonders what else was taught to me that can get me disciplined. Been doing a lot more digging into all the manuals and policies to find out. Will take a while but so far nothing as big as this has come to light.

One of my many 14 day suspensions was leaving an accountable in the box. Resident went on usps.com and filed an electronic 3849, in comments section said leave in box.

History was that we always left them, clerks ordered us, pm ordered us.

So I did what the Resident wanted, who then filed a complaint for leaving it in the mailbox. All of a sudden, clerks and pm changed their tune. Now I'm getting discipline and was told if it went to step 2 that I would be fired because leaving accountable is a big no no.

So now I never leave an accountable. And a funny story, a few months after giving me a 14 day suspension, pm hands me a cert with a signed 3849 and says deliver it in the box. I make an attempt and bring it back. It then wants an I.I. as to why I didn't obey a direct order. It also went out and left the cert in the box, and I brought it back. I never will know what happens to a pm, because the next day the inspectors frog marched it out of the building for something I reported a few weeks earlier.
I LOVE it when you tell that story!

DO WHATEVER DIRECTIVE YOUR PM OR SUPERVISOR GIVES YOU.

Our office still on covid directive. If customer present, recitation of something like ‘for covid purposes, we are able to accept your initials we enter into scanner as acceptance of this delivery item’. Top line is your (carrier’s)initials, route, c19. Second line is customer initials you put in. Last line is customer address. Say you’re Jane Ann Doe on route 2.
JAD R02 C19

IF I HAVE A CUSTOMER WITH ANY PRIOR ISSUES (rare, but they exist), I USE 3849 to get FULL SIGNATURE, have them hold it up for photo. They get parcel and I tell them they can toss receipt. I clean ink pen with purell in llv and change glove(s). Yes, I’m extreme. 4 covid shots and still nuts, but ok. Knock on wood.

LASTLY (aren’t you glad?), in extreme weather (hot, cold, rain, snow, ice) I prepare any 3849’s at the office that I catch in the morning. I believe you now get paid more on the route with RRECS to do this, but I am old-er now and that’s my shortcoming. Hope all of this clarifies/helps…

I'll add I did grieve the discipline and got a settlement that management will read and understand the accountable rules and instruct all employees and not require employees leave any accountable in a box or any where else.
Not home, no parcel. Outa go to p o. Clerks miss the customers🤣🤣🤣

Been a lot of discussion in our group chat for our office bout this. In academy we were told and trained to use 3849 with a signature by customer as proper procedure. still A few regs that will use this for signature items, but most of us now refuse.

My issue with this entire thing is why would academy train and teach me that way. Part of me just wonders what else was taught to me that can get me disciplined. Been doing a lot more digging into all the manuals and policies to find out. Will take a while but so far nothing as big as this has come to light.
I think that's the only gray area in academy that isn't definite in the course. They hammer the 3849, but leave it open as to what to do if you have a signed one.

It is good to know the rules, it makes you untouchable...and also hated. Any RCA that comes into my office and observes me for even 1 day will comment in amazement "you can do whatever you want and no one questions you". Whatever I want = follow the rules.

I think that's the only gray area in academy that isn't definite in the course. They hammer the 3849, but leave it open as to what to do if you have a signed one.

It is good to know the rules, it makes you untouchable...and also hated. Any RCA that comes into my office and observes me for even 1 day will comment in amazement "you can do whatever you want and no one questions you". Whatever I want = follow the rules.
academy told and taught me specifically we can take a pic of 3849 signed and leave in box. Or if a parcel requires signature leave on door step.

I agree knowing the rules is a good thing. Have not experienced the hated part yet just slightly annoyed at times. to the point when I ask if they have a minute to talk the response is yes what did I do now. my management is really easy to discuss anything with and 99% of the time that fixes it. Just wish more carriers would actually do The same thing when they have issues.

overall our management lets us rurals do what we want how we want. As long as the mail and parcels get delivered everyday. They have gotten a lot better with communication to us rcas as to what needs to be done once we finish the route. The last 3 rcas told PM specifically that was part of the reason they quit.

academy told and taught me specifically we can take a pic of 3849 signed and leave in box. Or if a parcel requires signature leave on door step.

I agree knowing the rules is a good thing. Have not experienced the hated part yet just slightly annoyed at times. to the point when I ask if they have a minute to talk the response is yes what did I do now. my management is really easy to discuss anything with and 99% of the time that fixes it. Just wish more carriers would actually do The same thing when they have issues.

overall our management lets us rurals do what we want how we want. As long as the mail and parcels get delivered everyday. They have gotten a lot better with communication to us rcas as to what needs to be done once we finish the route. The last 3 rcas told PM specifically that was part of the reason they quit.
Some buses are invisible.

You never see them coming.

Question. If a house has a fenced in yard, dog and a doggy door, should we always scan the certified as animal interference? Based on the fact that at any time the dog can come running out.

If it prompts for a signature I get a signature.

If it only cost the consumer a few bucks I do t care, I still get the signature 🫣 hopefully this will help with our RRECS results, if not 🤷‍♀️.

I’m not going to overthink things. Just going to deliver it.

The other day I had a 3-day priority label come up as express on the scanner, since no waiver was indicated(as it was a priority label), I got a signature.
What do I know, I’m just a dumb carrier.

This is in the office I assist in, getting paid by the hour….so

1. Always scan barcodes, even R. Yes, you get paid for it.
2. There is a barcode for POSTAGE DUE. Yes, you get paid for it.
3. There is a barcode for POSTAGE PAID. Yes, you get paid for it.
Voila.
Yes, there is a RRECS scan for postage dues, but how do we scan postage due attempts.

I had a package postage due, nobody home…I scanned attempted, not available. But I feel like there should be a attempted, postage due. So when the customer looks up the tracking they can see why we didn’t just leave it on the porch.

Yes, there is a RRECS scan for postage dues, but how do we scan postage due attempts.

I had a package postage due, nobody home…I scanned attempted, not available. But I feel like there should be a attempted, postage due. So when the customer looks up the tracking they can see why we didn’t just leave it on the porch.
leave a 3849 with postage due checked and amount. I leave 2 one at door one at box both get rrecs scan for postage.

leave a 3849 with postage due checked and amount. I leave 2 one at door one at box both get rrecs scan for postage.
I did mark the 3859 postage due, but so many get alerts in email or text before they get home. It just seems like there should be a postage due attempt option.

Last edited:
Not directed to @Oi veh, but to possibly remind others: In this case I would especially ensure you honk whenever you are in this situation to attempt to attract the recipient so delivery can be completed.
good point for those who don't read the PO 603.

i always tap the horn at the box (whether dog or no), no response, up the drive, honk again whilst gathering my things, here comes the dog, scan interference, scan attempted, write up 3849, complete scan, back to box.

DO WHATEVER DIRECTIVE YOUR PM OR SUPERVISOR GIVES YOU.

Our office still on covid directive. If customer present, recitation of something like ‘for covid purposes, we are able to accept your initials we enter into scanner as acceptance of this delivery item’. Top line is your (carrier’s)initials, route, c19. Second line is customer initials you put in. Last line is customer address. Say you’re Jane Ann Doe on route 2.
JAD R02 C19

IF I HAVE A CUSTOMER WITH ANY PRIOR ISSUES (rare, but they exist), I USE 3849 to get FULL SIGNATURE, have them hold it up for photo. They get parcel and I tell them they can toss receipt. I clean ink pen with purell in llv and change glove(s). Yes, I’m extreme. 4 covid shots and still nuts, but ok. Knock on wood.

LASTLY (aren’t you glad?), in extreme weather (hot, cold, rain, snow, ice) I prepare any 3849’s at the office that I catch in the morning. I believe you now get paid more on the route with RRECS to do this, but I am old-er now and that’s my shortcoming. Hope all of this clarifies/helps…
We are not under COVID directive, but I'm pretty much with you on this. After being treated for the first 2 of the last 5 years with stage 3 cancer, 4 covid shots (and still contracted in Feb) and losing a healthy SIL to Covid, I told PM for my health and safety, NOBODY on route is touching my scanner. I 3849 anything that needs a signature and take a picture with my scanner then delouse the pen and my gloves and keep the copy of the signed 3849. If customer isn't home, I leave the 3849 and they either sign it or come to PO to get it. PM has not had a problem with this. I will not sign for a customer anymore after one of those rare incidents during COVID signature protocols.

Last edited:
I LOVE you for this. I’m just back to work and training another rca. Will he stay? Anyways, I asked for covid protocol update for signature items and pm said we’ve been off of that directive for 3 months. INDEED, I’m back to the 3849 photo capture.
I hope you’re beating the cancer. Yes, it can be beat. And since you’re USPS RURAL, I know you’ve got what it takes. My very, very best goes out to you.💞

I LOVE you for this. I’m just back to work and training another rca. Will he stay? Anyways, I asked for covid protocol update for signature items and pm said we’ve been off of that directive for 3 months. INDEED, I’m back to the 3849 photo capture.
I hope you’re beating the cancer. Yes, it can be beat. And since you’re USPS RURAL, I know you’ve got what it takes. My very, very best goes out to you.💞
Thank you for your well wishes. So far, so good and my onc watches me very closely since it was such an aggressive cancer. These six day work weeks are tough. I don't think I'll ever regain the stamina I had prior to treatment.

Back