• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Let this sink in.......

Is this rurals (mostly subs?) being forced in for Amazon?

Being a part-time, in the dark contract-wise person, I cannot figure how this can be. No OT, no nothin? I'm also no labor union die hard, etc, buy Jimmy Hoffa would have had some federal judge pulled out of bed to stop insanity like that.

Its scary to think what would happen if that were shoved onto my office. I'd imagine no one, including our PM, me or the other RCAs would show up, then the turkey trots would hit the fan.

Is this rurals (mostly subs?) being forced in for Amazon?

Being a part-time, in the dark contract-wise person, I cannot figure how this can be. No OT, no nothin? I'm also no labor union die hard, etc, buy Jimmy Hoffa would have had some federal judge pulled out of bed to stop insanity like that.

Its scary to think what would happen if that were shoved onto my office. I'd imagine no one, including our PM, me or the other RCAs would show up, then the turkey trots would hit the fan.
RCA's I meant.

And then the other end; the regulars who bitch about "the day after a holiday" and how there's no help and no extra pay for extra mail.

NRLCA could make a youtube commercial that goes like this.

Dark Christmas morning, mom and dad wake up, single mom wakes up, single dad wakes up. We follow them into the post office. Cut to kids waking up, no parents. Walk into the living room, no tree only Amazon boxes and a note. Cut back to happy families enjoying Christmas. Then the bell rings and here's a rural carrier. Then the smart ass entitled questions of the American citizen. And the reserved answers we always give. You're late! This was suppose to be here yesterday! You ruined our Christmas! As the scene blurs out, our NRLCA president steps in to explain our dire situation to the American public. Explaining that Congress, while enjoying Christmas at home. Is mandating 100s of thousands of postal workers to work holidays.

Our office didn't have anyone deliver today. RCA's got a well deserved day off. We were threatened with it last week by one manager. She wanted to use RCA's on the city again that day and when we all complained she told us that if mail wasn't delivered and considered back logged then everyone would have to work Thanksgiving so it was in our benefit to let RCA's do city work without complaining. We have 4 RCA's and currently 2 vacant routes so we are stretched already. Last year we lost 7 RCA's due to being forced to work city side last December thru May. We are all quite bitter since most of us are mandated to work our day off 80% if the time or more. For me it has been 8 weeks since I got my regular day off. I want our RCA's to have life balance because when they don't we don't either.

Our office didn't have anyone deliver today. RCA's got a well deserved day off. We were threatened with it last week by one manager. She wanted to use RCA's on the city again that day and when we all complained she told us that if mail wasn't delivered and considered back logged then everyone would have to work Thanksgiving so it was in our benefit to let RCA's do city work without complaining. We have 4 RCA's and currently 2 vacant routes so we are stretched already. Last year we lost 7 RCA's due to being forced to work city side last December thru May. We are all quite bitter since most of us are mandated to work our day off 80% if the time or more. For me it has been 8 weeks since I got my regular day off. I want our RCA's to have life balance because when they don't we don't either.

Your lucky its only been 8 weeks since you got your regular day off. I cannot remember the last time, I got my regular day off. I guess, last October 2020. It wont be my problem in a month or so !

I'd say everyone should be closed Thanksgiving after 4, everyone closed Christmas Day all day, everyone closed Independence Day all day.

In my opinion, those are the most important US holidays. The others are whipped cream on the pie.

Many times I'd rather work during the holiday (except those exceptions) just because it makes the job so much more of a PITA.
It sounds good in theory.

But many things need to be open. Hospitals, transportation services, emergency services, plumbing and electrical repairs, etc.

Even the Butterball hotline needs staffing for the moron that didn’t take the neck and giblets out of the turkey before roasting.

50 million people are traveling this weekend. They will need gas, food, road service, air transportation, etc.

All this requires workers that also need or depend on these services.

Only the services not needed seem unnecessary to those that don’t require them.

But many things need to be open. Hospitals, transportation services, emergency services, plumbing and electrical repairs, etc.

Even the Butterball hotline needs staffing for the moron that didn’t take the neck and giblets out of the turkey before roasting.

50 million people are traveling this weekend. They will need gas, food, road service, air transportation, etc.

All those listed, many are open because consumers demand (or want) their services. Often, there's no law (except perhaps with some, like hospitals and law enforcement) to be open. Competitive dynamics stimulate those to remain open -- the gas station across the street is open, so we'd better be open as well or all those sales and profits are lost -- How many of US are staying home, using no services today? (or if we are, hosting, how many family members are using those services?)

Your lucky its only been 8 weeks since you got your regular day off. I cannot remember the last time, I got my regular day off. I guess, last October 2020. It wont be my problem in a month or so !
I understand completely. I got my day off 9 times in the previous fiscal year and 7 of those were due to requesting (with 2 requests denied). The frustrating part is we have 2 carriers that have gotten their same day off 20 out of the 26 times last year and 21 of the 26 times despite the 21 time person being on the RDWL. She picks up Sundays and Holidays so they give her her regular day off to cover all the extra she works. This fiscal year she has only worked her day off 1 time. I just wish that things were consistent, rotated, and fair instead of favortism.

Yeah, you're right. Maybe call it "essential services" be open. By "open" = only emergency calls. I used to work at a TV station and we had to have someone there durring business hours for the most part, even thanksgiving & Christmas. Had to do with us being considered for the public good because we use the public airways, and someone needed to be ready to make sure the emergency signal (tone & messages) went out properly.

If a person works on Thanksgiving or Christmas it should be at double time. It is so easy to have people work those days when there is no penalty to do so. If double time was offered for working these days you would get volunteers and people wouldn't feel used and abused. Sorry, I was dreaming.

Back