Limbo

Rural Deviation

I sit here in this rainy night. There are things I want to tell you, but due to the processes in place ... I can’t at this moment in time, but in time you will hear my voice explain these words I type.

I sit here in limbo. I sit here listening to every rain drop. I sit here, and my only thought even with the mess you will know in due time is what becomes of us?

Every day a rural carrier is taken advantage of. Whether it’s due to their work ethic to get the job done, or just simply not understanding their rights as carriers.

My heart is broken because I myself can not solve these issues. The ones that have the opportunity to reach out and educate carriers nationwide(the National Board of the NRLCA) have failed to see the opportunities in which they have to create positive change.

As I pointed out, as it related to my knowledge of stopping at every box directive, they informed the DRs 2 whole days in advance of informing the membership. In that itself creates question of why didn’t they inform the membership the same day they informed the DRs. I’m thankful of my DR for sending that email out, and I do believe my DR will be one of the leading figures of this union to come because they put the carrier first. Their primary concern is giving those below them the tools needed to be not only successful, but to lift those around them up as well. That’s why when you hear me talk of why I feel so strongly about Tennessee you hear this, because throughout the state of Tennessee I have met so many carriers that put the carriers around them above themselves. Without a selective few carriers in Tennessee you would have never had the podcast. Because those carriers lifted me up and supported me as I started my process to learn about this union.

Through the rural mail talk forums and the Facebook group in recent days there has been so much negativity toward our union, and it isn’t deserved, because there are carriers that pick up the mantle of leadership in the truest form that you will never hear about. Their only goal is to do right by this craft and the carriers they represent. I have heard your stories of the fact that you have never felt support from your stewards or leadership, but that doesn’t mean the entire system is a wash.

Understand what a union is truly meant to be. ‘A collective of people working towards a common goal.’

I know we are dealing with the issues as it relates to COVID-19 and the hinderance it has put on our system as it relates to meetings and such, but we must step above the challenges before us.

We must as whole recognize what we are experiencing on the local level and the issues we are having isn’t the final word. That we as a whole can work to create a better tomorrow for every carrier nationwide.

I ask of everyone of you to look at your career as a rural carrier, to look at your history of involvement or lack of involvement. I know if you have chosen to not be involved there are issues, that complicate you being able to devote the time to be involved, but i ask you to really take into your thoughts about your future as a rural carrier and how you would like the future of the rural craft to be as it relates to compensation, benefits, and workplace environment.

If you are not satisfied with the status quo, I ask that you reach out to those in your state, and learn how you can step up and learn about the system in which we have to affect change within the NRLCA and this craft.

Stop waiting til tomorrow. Stop waiting for someone else to solve your problem. You have the ability to step up today and build the knowledge to protect not only yourself, but the carriers in your office.

I challenge each and everyone of you to be better, not bitter tomorrow.

You Are Never Alone.

Your Voice Matters.

Last edited:

FrozenToes

I sit here in this rainy night. There are things I want to tell you, but due to the processes in places ... I can’t at this moment in time, but in time you will hear my voice explain these words I type.

I sit here in limbo. I sit here listening to every rain drop. I sit here, and my only thought even with the mess you will know in due time is what becomes of us?
Sleepless night here. So forgive me if I ramble.
It's not clear to me if your referring to Rural Carriers or life in general.
If it's regarding our craft, I don't understand the withholding of specifics. I understand the dangers of rumor/speculation or the concern for privacy/repercussions. Then why even bring it up? Otherwise, it's the same as the NRLCA not sharing with the rank and file.
I hope your endeavors succeed!

Rural Deviation

Sleepless night here. So forgive me if I ramble.
It's not clear to me if your referring to Rural Carriers or life in general.
If it's regarding our craft, I don't understand the withholding of specifics. I understand the dangers of rumor/speculation or the concern for privacy/repercussions. Then why even bring it up? Otherwise, it's the same as the NRLCA not sharing with the rank and file.
I hope your endeavors succeed!

As it relates to the first two paragraphs, my time as a rural carrier stands in limbo. I have set a standard to always being open and honest. As you, my late night thoughts I tend to ramble, but as it stands I can’t help, but not be open and honest about me and my situations to the ones that have supported me whether they have agreed or disagreed with anything I’ve said.

This limbo is not of my choosing, but is tied to the issues and struggles I’ve faced in my personal life that affected my responsibilities as a rural carrier. When I can say more, I will tell my story and the outcome.

Who knows why I am the way I am, but at the end of the day I am who I am.

Rt2mailman

For whatever reason that a rural carriers' job had been placed in jeopardy the NRLCA can help. You need to contact your DR. or the steward above you and ask for that help. Almost any incident that causes discipline/severe discipline can be lessened with a timely grievance. There are always reasons of mitigating circumstances that are able to be considered and lower/expunge discipline, including a (what seems like legitament) firing. Don't worry about it as much as you may think you must, it's in God's hands, have faith and convert to Him and all will take care of itself. You and C$$ have helped many on this site and that has not been forgotten.
At this time of the USPS's lack of proper pay and treatment of rural carriers, everyone willing to work is kept on, if at all possible.

PastOThirty

Your energy, effort, and attitude are admirable, even if we disagree, even strongly at times. Sometimes apparent situations at our nose or on the horizon or even in the rear view cause us to calculate and reflect. Those are important to help us mitigate damage from poor outcomes, maximize good outcomes, and learn and grow from whatever the outcomes were, but once the learning is over, it is time to put it to bed.

At this point, you have to trust yourself that you did the best you could with what you knew and what you could accomplish in the moment of decision. Posthumously, you may have gathered enough new or reinforcing information or physical ability to change your approach for future instances, but the past is the past, friend, you have to let it (the past) go.

Disney wisdom: let it go

Brother, you have the strength to persevere. You have the knowledge to know what is right and good. Growth can only be accomplished with pain. Whatever it is, you will be ok, and so will everyone else; maybe not as we intend or desire, but we are a hardy, adaptive bunch.

Gotrope

Sometimes being open to counseling can be one of those mitigating circumstances. Whether you believe yourself to need it or not. We can all use an impartial person, gagged by health order, to ruminate about life, choices and ways to proactively move forward. I have been to counseling at certain times. It helps to clarify thinking when you can't move beyond feelings of pain.

Cliff Clavin

Staff member
I sit here in this rainy night. There are things I want to tell you, but due to the processes in places ... I can’t at this moment in time, but in time you will hear my voice explain these words I type.

Every day a rural carrier is taken advantage of. Whether it’s due to their work ethic to get the job done, or just simply not understanding their rights as carriers.

My heart is broken because I myself can not solve these issues. The ones that have the opportunity to reach out and educate carriers nationwide(the National Board of the NRLCA) have failed to see the opportunities in which they have to create positive change.

As I pointed out, as it related to my knowledge of stopping at every box directive, they informed the DRs 2 whole days in advance of informing the membership. In that itself creates question of why didn’t they inform the membership the same day they informed the DRs. I’m thankful of my DR for sending that email out, and I do believe my DR will be one of the leading figures of this union to come because they put the carrier first. Their primary concern is giving those below them the tools needed to be not only successful, but to lift those around them up as well. That’s why when you hear me talk of why I feel so strongly about Tennessee you hear this, because throughout the state of Tennessee I have met so many carriers that put the carriers around them above themselves. Without a selective few carriers in Tennessee you would have never had the podcast. Because those carriers lifted me up and supported me as I started my process to learn about this union.

Through the rural mail talk forums and the Facebook group in recent days there has been so much negativity toward our union, and it isn’t deserved, because there are carriers that pick up the mantle of leadership in the truest form that you will never hear about. Their only goal is to do right by this craft and the carriers they represent. I have heard your stories of the fact that you have never felt support from your stewards or leadership, but that doesn’t mean the entire system is a wash.

Understand what a union is truly meant to be. ‘A collective of people working towards a common goal.’

I know we are dealing with the issues as it relates to COVID-19 and the hinderance it has put on our system as it relates to meetings and such, but we must step above the challenges before us.

We must as whole recognize what we are experiencing on the local level and the issues we are having isn’t the final word. That we as a whole can work to create a better tomorrow for every carrier nationwide.

I ask of everyone of you to look at your career as a rural carrier, to look at your history of involvement or lack of involvement. I know if you have chosen to not be involved there are issues, that complicate you being able to devote the time to be involved, but i ask you to really take into your thoughts about your future as a rural carrier and how you would like the future of the rural craft to be as it relates to compensation, benefits, and workplace environment.

If you are not satisfied with the status quo, I ask that you reach out to those in your state, and learn how you can step up and learn about the system in which we have to affect change within the NRLCA and this craft.

Stop waiting til tomorrow. Stop waiting for someone else to solve your problem. You have the ability to step up today and build the knowledge to protect not only yourself, but the carriers in your office.

I challenge each and everyone of you to be better, not bitter tomorrow.

You Are Never Alone.

Your Voice Matters.
I hope my Dr and ADR reads your post. My feeling is that they wouldn't give two dead flies to right a wrong. It definitely would be nice to have a person or two like you in our area to step up and do what is right for the craft.