• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Looking out

Lyra

A carrier went regular.. how long do you have to learn your route without being scrutinized? Also isn’t there a older then a certain age and you get more time?

this time of year? lol take all the time you need; or were you smart/lucky enough to take the hourly? and they are pushing you...
Oh wait! I forgot you can take hourly as a new carrier? It’s not for me it’s for a carrier who made regular Saturday. pm told her she went over by 2 hours. She’s also older..

It takes what it takes.
If you're over 55 years old there are certain protections, but this carrier is just learning this route.
If it continues, I would use proper channels to get his hands (metaphorically) slapped.
The PM is unreasonable and unappreciative.

Mad Magazine used to carry a feature entitled, Mad's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.
Let me start a list of responses to the PM saying, "You're over evaluation by 2 hours."

That's strange, I'm normally much quicker on the routes I don't know!

Great, are you going to pay me extra?

I'd have been done sooner, but I was distracted by thinking about sitting at a desk with my feet up drinking coffee.

Last edited:
I think you are referring to this. It's in the 603.

Performance Appraisal
If the weekly time required to serve the route consistently varies more than
three hours, either below or in excess of the route’s standard hours,
managers should consider corrective action. Exceptions may be made for
carriers 55 years of age or older, and carriers who have served continuously
for 25 years or more, provided that their conduct and efficiency are
satisfactory. When it is demonstrated that a carrier 55 or over cannot confine
total working time to 48
hours per week or less, the
route will be adjusted.

Oh wait! I forgot you can take hourly as a new carrier? It’s not for me it’s for a carrier who made regular Saturday. pm told her she went over by 2 hours. She’s also older..
Sometimes mgmt needs to be reminded that “evaluation” is an average AND We are not required to work under or at the evaluation of any given day nor any given week. Some weeks will be over & some will be under. It is what it is.

Jess et al -- " A carrier went regular.. how long do you have to learn your route without being scrutinized?"

-- That depends on a few things mentioned in Article 9.2.M. Sections 4, 5, and 6.

-- If it was an involuntary reassignment, a carrier might get "familiarization training" which could be 1 to 3 days, depending on the route's evaluation

-- If there was a substantial change to the route because of major additions of territory, it could be 1 to 3 days of familiarization depending on the number of new mailboxes.

-- Unfortunately when a carrier goes regular, the carrier gets zero familiarization training. Hopefully the carrier is somewhat familiar with the route having worked it as an RCA. Better yet, the new regular was the RCA on the route and got it when the regular retired. But I digress.

-- If manglement was really concerned, they would have found a way to have the new regular get some familiarization training before actually taking over the route. ( in a perfect world )

-- The new carrier should look manglement in the eye and thank him/her for showing the interest in her work hours. ( while expressing other thoughts to herself ). She could also request that manglement show her how to improve on her work hours.

-- Tell the new carrier that 2 hours over on a new route is EXCELLENT - no matter what manglement may imply.

-- BTW she can remind manglement that a route's evaluation is WEEKLY, not DAILY. ( not that it will make a difference to manglement )

-- There is a saying that might apply here. When you work in the USPS's rose garden, you are bound to encounter some pricks.

-- Welcome to the rose garden!

-- No doubt manglement somehow forgot to mention the ability of a new regular to chose to be paid hourly from the start date until the start of the new guarantee year.

-- From Step 4 ( R-16 ) in part: Actual time can be expected to vary from daily or weekly evaluations due to cyclical changes in mail volume, changes in mail arrival, etc.

-- Should manglement say they are going by Section 151.2 that "neciat" kindly provided, Step 4 ( R-16 ) mentions that such a review is conducted over the course of a FULL QUARTER.

-- They may "consider" corrective action but rarely do make it.

-- Lastly, if manglement mentions being over evaluation again, suggest the new carrier give EAP a call due to the stress caused by manglement.

I know my route like the back of my hand , and have demonstrated as a game for my co-workers that I can find a 1 inch slot on my case within an inch or 2 with my eyes closed.
That being said I regularly go over my evaluation by 2 hours/day. I was counted with 57 parcels last count that I had, and now receive up to 150/day more. This free work takes time as it does also for the carrier mentioned above. That carrier can ask for and obtain the last count sheet that shows the average # of parcels for which she is paid. Comparing that # to the current # will explain from where the extra hours she works are coming. She should then ask the pm to make the accommodations mentioned above where a route continually working more than its evaluation should have an adjustment for more compensation, or aux help.

I think you are referring to this. It's in the 603.

Performance Appraisal
If the weekly time required to serve the route consistently varies more than
three hours, either below or in excess of the route’s standard hours,
managers should consider corrective action. Exceptions may be made for
carriers 55 years of age or older, and carriers who have served continuously
for 25 years or more, provided that their conduct and efficiency are
satisfactory. When it is demonstrated that a carrier 55 or over cannot confine
total working time to 48
hours per week or less, the
route will be adjusted.

It should be stated warning 55 years of age or older and 25 years of service has been abused for this long and maybe entitles to adjustment. So your final abuse is an adjustment? I would assume if the route was adjusted so would pay?

Mad Magazine used to carry a feature entitled, Mad's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.
Let me start a list of responses to the PM saying, "You're over evaluation by 2 hours."

That's strange, I'm normally much quicker on the routes I don't know!

Great, are you going to pay me extra?

I'd have been done sooner, but I was distracted by thinking about sitting at a desk with my feet up drinking coffee.

The absurdity of a PM digging at a carrier for being 2 hours late- especially right now- is unfathomable. That carrier just worked two hours without pay, after all.
These situations deserve a "What Would Clint Eastwood Do?" type answer:

"That's just swell, isn't it?"
"It can't be that important, or you'd be doing it."
Or maybe jingling car keys in the PMs face, "Knock yourself out, Karen."

Last edited:
Back