LWOP Mondays

overit500

Mondays have become so awful, I'm debating taking every Monday as LWOP. I am a K route with Saturday off and not allowed to switch my K day to Monday. I realize this will result in a 4 day work week, but I can afford to do it. Is this possible or can my PM (or anyone else) refuse the idea? Thanks.

Windindaface

LWOP is not the way to go because it will factor in to your retirement eligibility date. Good luck in putting for LWOP Mondays.

Why can't you switch to Mondays?

Morty

Schedule eap 1st monday. Schedule chiropractor 2nd Monday. Schedule 2dental/2eye/2physical 3rd Monday(6/12) various dr appointments for the other 6. And 12 annual for the other 12 mondays.

Obviously youll need to schedule tuesday for monday holidays (annual is best here)

Your welcome 😂

Rt2mailman

If that is what you would like, put a leave slip in asking for annual leave for the next ten Mondays. After receiving an approval, fill another leave slip asking for all those days to be switched to LWOP. That is the only way a manager will allow that many LWOP days, they have some kind of aversion to LWOP days. If they still refuse a grievance will easily be won because when you had approved annual days that means they had Rca's available. Use more than ten LWOP days/year and you will be charged an annual day used, that's why I said ten.

Gotrope

LWOP is granted solely at the discretion of your mgmt(PM). Unless it involves FMLA, union time or a serious disease, it's not generally granted until the employee has exhausted all annual. LWOP only effects your retirement calculation when taking more the 120 days in a calendar year. Even then, it only effects that specific year( year won't count towards high 3).

callofthewild

I worked for YEARS under this schedule for my Regular when I was a Sub. Worked every Saturday and every Monday or Tuesday after a Monday holiday. It worked great for my Regular and kept him working and feeling good for years after he was Sixty and I was happy to get the hours and have a somewhat regular schedule....kept me from having to go get a third job...always worked two jobs as a Sub.

I don't know how the Postal Service feels about LWOP now; but back over 20 years ago there were no problems with it. Just my personal opinion; but if this will help your health and mental well being go for it. I have been thinking about doing this for sometime; but I want to wait until I really need to to save my body....but getting close..........Mondays are ridiculous...........volume out the wazoo.

Toolology

LWOP is granted solely at the discretion of your mgmt(PM). Unless it involves FMLA, union time or a serious disease, it's not generally granted until the employee has exhausted all annual. LWOP only effects your retirement calculation when taking more the 120 days in a calendar year. Even then, it only effects that specific year( year won't count towards high 3).
Lwop on Saturday’s on J and H routes are carrier discretion as long as sub is available, not management.

Gotrope

Yes, the congressionally allowed Free Saturday is still available...for the moment. But, the carrier indicated they already had Saturday as a relief day and were not looking to take entire week off. That's why I didn't mention it.😉

Yes, the congressionally allowed Free Saturday is still available...for the moment. But, the carrier indicated they already had Saturday as a relief day and were not looking to take entire week off. That's why I didn't mention it.😉
Article 10.4.B has nothing to do with free Saturdays.
That said, I agree that LWOP for a non-relief day during the week is at Management’s sole discretion. Getting AL approved and then trying to switch it to LWOP isn’t going to matter unless you’re out of AL and/or SL.

Rt2mailman

There's nothing I know of in our contract that dis-allows LWOP if an Rca is available. Having an Rca available is hard to prove unless you have annual granted for each Monday (it wasn't for a whole week) for ten weeks. If it's approved it is grievable (and I've seen it won several times), when asked and denied to change to LWOP. NO where does it say "at the pm's discretion" that I know of.

it is managements decision, and can be refused.. you can ask, and they can say no. this is from the elm

514.22 Administrative Discretion
Each request for LWOP is examined closely, and a decision is made based on the needs of the employee, the needs of the Postal Service, and the cost to the Postal Service. The granting of LWOP is a matter of administrative discretion and is not granted on the employee’s demand except as provided in collective bargaining agreements or as follows:
a. A disabled veteran is entitled to LWOP, if necessary, for medical treatment.
b. A Reservist or a National Guardsman is entitled to LWOP, if necessary, to perform military training duties under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA), Public Law 103-353.
c. An employee who requests and is entitled to time off under 515, Absence for Family Care or Serious Health Condition of Employee, must be allowed up to a total of 12 workweeks of absence within a Postal Service leave year for one or more of the reasons listed in 515.41(a) through 515.41(e), and up to 26 workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for covered service members with a serious injury or illness.

Rt2mailman

Then Overit will have to first establish an FMLA case for "some pain or problem " before being able to use LWOP. I've seen it done as I've said, but the contractual way would be through the FMLA process.

Karen11

I worked for YEARS under this schedule for my Regular when I was a Sub. Worked every Saturday and every Monday or Tuesday after a Monday holiday. It worked great for my Regular and kept him working and feeling good for years after he was Sixty and I was happy to get the hours and have a somewhat regular schedule....kept me from having to go get a third job...always worked two jobs as a Sub.

I don't know how the Postal Service feels about LWOP now; but back over 20 years ago there were no problems with it. Just my personal opinion; but if this will help your health and mental well being go for it. I have been thinking about doing this for sometime; but I want to wait until I really need to to save my body....but getting close..........Mondays are ridiculous...........volume out the wazoo.
You are my hero, I’ve been subless for 4months now...

stillfirstclass

it is managements decision, and can be refused.. you can ask, and they can say no. this is from the elm

514.22 Administrative Discretion
Each request for LWOP is examined closely, and a decision is made based on the needs of the employee, the needs of the Postal Service, and the cost to the Postal Service. The granting of LWOP is a matter of administrative discretion and is not granted on the employee’s demand except as provided in collective bargaining agreements or as follows:
a. A disabled veteran is entitled to LWOP, if necessary, for medical treatment.
b. A Reservist or a National Guardsman is entitled to LWOP, if necessary, to perform military training duties under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA), Public Law 103-353.
c. An employee who requests and is entitled to time off under 515, Absence for Family Care or Serious Health Condition of Employee, must be allowed up to a total of 12 workweeks of absence within a Postal Service leave year for one or more of the reasons listed in 515.41(a) through 515.41(e), and up to 26 workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for covered service members with a serious injury or illness.
on saturdays, it has always been tradition that lwop is available to use if a sub is available.. used to be in the contract, i am to lazy to look, sorry lol