Mail Count Calculator Help!?!

Jlpatterson

I have been a regular for about 4 months. A lady is trying to help me at my office and told me to enter my info into the calculator. The calculator I come up with doesn't follow in line with my paper. Is there something different about being a "L" route as well as a "H" route? The number they have on the paper is a lot bigger than the number I'm coming up with. This count paper I have is from last count in September and the person that was on it didn't really give a crap because it wasn't going to be her route. According to my edit book, I have went up 20+ boxes but I can't get the numbers to match so how can I see what I am supposed to be now?

btdtret

Jlpatterson -- "I have been a regular for about 4 months. A lady is trying to help me at my office and told me to enter my info into the calculator. The calculator I come up with doesn't follow in line with my paper. Is there something different about being a "L" route as well as a "H" route? The number they have on the paper is a lot bigger than the number I'm coming up with. This count paper I have is from last count in September and the person that was on it didn't really give a crap because it wasn't going to be her route. According to my edit book, I have went up 20+ boxes but I can't get the numbers to match so how can I see what I am supposed to be now? "

-- This will be interesting without the specifics of what you are looking at.

-- If the person who did the count didn't really care, then probably the Edit Book ( aka Red Book ) is messed up too.

"The calculator I come up with doesn't follow in line with my paper.

-- What is your "paper"? A form?

"Is there something different about being a "L" route as well as a "H" route?

-- The Box Factor is different for an "L" route ( 1.82 ) vs a "Non-L" route ( 2.00 ). The 4241-M used to have separate lines for Regular mail boxes on "L" and "Non-L" routes.

-- At this point the route classification "H", "J", or "K" won't matter.

" The number they have on the paper is a lot bigger than the number I'm coming up with."

-- What are the "paper" and the "number"?

"This count paper I have is from last count in September".

-- Ask manglement for all the count paperwork. And the carrier who did the count ( probably tossed it )

-- At the very least, Form 4241-A should be in the Route Book at the case. Section 232.1 of the PO-603 lists ALL the items that should be in the Route Book and in what order.

"The person that was on it didn't really give a crap because it wasn't going to be her route."

-- Probably an RCA filling in. "Owership" of a route has a lot to do with how it is run znd kept up to date. ( unfortunately )

" According to my edit book, I have went up 20+ boxes.."

-- Have you submitted a memo or a note to manglement with the addition of 20+ boxes? Manglement won't know until you show them.

-- Without knowing specifics of the route, 20+ boxes might not be enough to have an hour increase.

-- What is the date on the 4003 ( Offical Rural Route Description )?

-- Does it match up with the count paper work?

-- Entries ( # of deliveries, mileage, etc ) on the 4003 are what drives your pay ( up or down ).

"but I can't get the numbers to match so how can I see what I am supposed to be now?"

-- What "numbers" are you trying to get to match?

- Congratulations on making regular!! How long did it take?

FrozenToes

I have been a regular for about 4 months. A lady is trying to help me at my office and told me to enter my info into the calculator. The calculator I come up with doesn't follow in line with my paper. Is there something different about being a "L" route as well as a "H" route? The number they have on the paper is a lot bigger than the number I'm coming up with. This count paper I have is from last count in September and the person that was on it didn't really give a crap because it wasn't going to be her route. According to my edit book, I have went up 20+ boxes but I can't get the numbers to match so how can I see what I am supposed to be now?
Are you trying to figure out if you went up an hour?
You need a 60 minute change to change your evaluation. Otherwise the time is "banked" until 60 minutes or more is accumulated.
The only info that you would need, in most cases, from the last count is boxes, centralized boxes and volume factor.
The difference between a "L" route and a non "L" route is the box factor (time credit given for each box). A "L" is considered high density. A "L" route averages 12 boxes or more per mile. (boxes + centralized boxes) / mileage = box density.
btdtret noted the box time factors for the routes in the above post. 1.82 "L" & 2.00.
Use the number of boxes you gained or lost.
# boxes x box factor ( either 1.82 or 2 , depending what your route is) = time in minutes
# centralized boxes x 1= time in minutes
(# boxes + centralized boxes) x volume factor = time in minutes
Add those up. That's the change in time.
You can add that to the standard time from last count. Then look where that falls on the evaluated hours chart.
Your edit book needs to be up to date.
Your PM needs to update your 4003. This is what actually triggers the change in pay.
Sometimes a carrier may only be a few minutes from actually going up 2 hours in evaluation. If the carrier has more growth, they may wait for the boxes needed to go up the 2 hours.
ex. Route is at 43 standard hours ( 43H). Route gains 65 minutes. Route is now ( not official yet) 44:05(44H)
Route is high growth. Carrier might wait until route has gained 90 minutes( 44:30 standard hours, 45H) to go up 2 hours in evaluation. That way the carrier didn't have to wait for 60 minutes and 60 minutes again.
The route classifications determines how many days you work in a pay period.
"H" route works 6 days week = 12 days per pay period
"J" route works 5 days one week, 6 days the other week = 11 days per pay period
"K" route works 5 days week = 10 days per pay period

Last edited:

Jlpatterson

Thanks for the congratulations! Being regular is whole new world. By asking questions of the old timers(only in experience) I know a lot of what your saying. The biggest problem is that the route I have, which is 42H also an L route, is that it just became a full time route last September. My friend became regular on it then in Feb she transferred to a different office. Management rode with everybody this spring to count boxes and at that time I had asked about the updated 4003 and the supervisor said that mine was still handwritten. So I have been working on getting my edit book cleaned up because that it what our Postmaster will ask first and he will make sure it gets updated. The lady that was trying to help me said that I needed to use the calculator in order to check my volume factor and the hours on my 4241-A. Well when I plug in all the counts from my 4241-A, the volume factor and hours are a lot less than what my 4241-A states. She said if they match then I can plug in my new box numbers and it should tell about how much my route could go up. Before my friend left, I know she had added some boxes since that count so I don't know if she had any boxes banked because she was completely new to the whole process herself. Part of my issue with the calculator that it was spread sheet form and I am not sure how to use the numbers lines to find what numbers I am supposed to accurately plug in there. The 4241-A has 2 different numbers in like 2 parcels boxes as well as Accountable boxes. I am just feeling clueless and don't know what I AM doing wrong.

FrozenToes

Thanks for the congratulations! Being regular is whole new world. By asking questions of the old timers(only in experience) I know a lot of what your saying. The biggest problem is that the route I have, which is 42H also an L route, is that it just became a full time route last September. My friend became regular on it then in Feb she transferred to a different office. Management rode with everybody this spring to count boxes and at that time I had asked about the updated 4003 and the supervisor said that mine was still handwritten. So I have been working on getting my edit book cleaned up because that it what our Postmaster will ask first and he will make sure it gets updated. The lady that was trying to help me said that I needed to use the calculator in order to check my volume factor and the hours on my 4241-A. Well when I plug in all the counts from my 4241-A, the volume factor and hours are a lot less than what my 4241-A states. She said if they match then I can plug in my new box numbers and it should tell about how much my route could go up. Before my friend left, I know she had added some boxes since that count so I don't know if she had any boxes banked because she was completely new to the whole process herself. Part of my issue with the calculator that it was spread sheet form and I am not sure how to use the numbers lines to find what numbers I am supposed to accurately plug in there. The 4241-A has 2 different numbers in like 2 parcels boxes as well as Accountable boxes. I am just feeling clueless and don't know what I AM doing wrong.
The 4241-A can't be changed now . The previous carrier should have corrected any issues from the count. Those are the route numbers. That is the volume factor the route has.
The top two thirds is Office time and Route time. The numbers on the 4241-A are the time allowances ( in minutes) for the count items. Not the quantity of items. That's why parcels have 2 times- in office = sorting and route time = delivering.
Use the formulas I listed to manually figure if you gained. If you're adventurous try : Interim Adjustment Worksheet

Last edited: