Mail Count question

NewReg17

Hi...I've been reading on here that PMG Brennan has said no September mail count, however I'm still unclear as to whether my office will count or not.
Last time my office was counted was March 2018 and I had to miss a significant chunk of time due to my wife having major surgery. All but 2 of the 14 routes in my office gained significantly, became overburdened and cut to create a J route. My route was one of the 2 that stayed the same.
If my office were to count this September I would again be missing some time due to another surgery my wife is having. I would certainly like to work the count if there is one. We lost Amazon back in December or January so most of the carriers are beating their evals by 2 or 3 hours daily. We currently have 14 Ks and 1 J route.
Hopefully I'm in the clear and will have one less thing to worry about while my wife is in surgery.
If anybody could tell me if we're counting based on the info I provided I would greatly appreciate it!

stillfirstclass

Hi...I've been reading on here that PMG Brennan has said no September mail count, however I'm still unclear as to whether my office will count or not.
Last time my office was counted was March 2018 and I had to miss a significant chunk of time due to my wife having major surgery. All but 2 of the 14 routes in my office gained significantly, became overburdened and cut to create a J route. My route was one of the 2 that stayed the same.
If my office were to count this September I would again be missing some time due to another surgery my wife is having. I would certainly like to work the count if there is one. We lost Amazon back in December or January so most of the carriers are beating their evals by 2 or 3 hours daily. We currently have 14 Ks and 1 J route.
Hopefully I'm in the clear and will have one less thing to worry about while my wife is in surgery.
If anybody could tell me if we're counting based on the info I provided I would greatly appreciate it!
not, by your info

UnknownUser

I read in another thread that the only routes that will be counting must qualify for special count. So you would have to of had some serious changes in your route. There's recent a thread discussing the new contract and no count during the contract. Delivering under evaluation has no bearing on special counts.

btdtret

NewReg17 -- With no National Count is September, RURALINFO.NET article mentions what would be needed to have a Special Count in September. Article 9.2.C.11.

-- If the office recently got DPS Letters ( yes, still happens ).

-- If some route had a failed DPS Formal Review failure would be a good candidate.

-- Section 527 - Special Mail Counts - in the M-38, provides some examples:

- Substantial route adjustments involving a service change of four or more hours.
- Routes changed by the additioan or deletion of territory as a result of consolidation.
- When unusual circumstances have negated the validity of the annual count ( i.e., implementation of CMU, etc. ) ( CMU = Centralized Markup Unit --? Anyone? )

-- The M-38's Section 527.2 -- Special Count -- Coverage and Count Periods. - Apparently something the USPS and the NRLCA have chosen to ignore since it lists some interesting times when a Special Count can be held and not just the last 12 working days of September.. As well as in response to a justifiable request from a carrier on the affected route. Feel free to browse.

-- The M-38 first came out in 1980 and has been updated piece-meal ever since.

NewReg17

Btdtret:
"- Routes changed by the addition or deletion of territory as a result of consolidation"
We created the J route as a result of 12 of the 14 routes overburdened. Therefore 12 routes lost "territory." Is that considered grounds for a special count, or not in this instance?

btdtret

NewReg17 -- "We created the J route as a result of 12 of the 14 routes overburdened. Therefore 12 routes lost "territory." Is that considered grounds for a special count, or not in this instance? "

-- Your Assistant District Representative will be in a better position to advise you than I.

-- Any idea how many hours each route lost?

Wilco183

If these routes met the criteria for a Special Count, then it seems they would have been counted in September 2018. Unless they remained overburdened for 7+ months and were cut after the Sep count window.

Windindaface

An Email was sent yesterday to all PMS in every district with a list of the counting routes this time around for your area.

PastOThirty

CMU = Centralized Markup Unit

Is that perhaps language that is old, and prior to CFS, when there was minimal automation for the handling of forwards, where each piece had to be individually endorsed, maybe even more fully marked-up with a destination?