Making RCA’s use POV

backroads

In the office I work in we have rts with LLV’s and some use POV. The rca’s that are hired got hired on rts that use LLV’s. Now there’s been talk that management can make the rca’s use their POV on the other rts. that don’t use LLV. Can management make them??

w2e2w2e

Yes it is part of the hiring sheet that you may have to use your own vehicle.
You can always talk to management and see about switching routes with other subs, as some of them like to us e their own vehicle and get the EMA.

btdtret

backroads -- "In the office I work in we have rts with LLV’s and some use POV. The rca’s that are hired got hired on rts that use LLV’s. Now there’s been talk that management can make the rca’s use their POV on the other rts. that don’t use LLV. Can management make them?? "

-- Certainly. Apparently during the job interview, manglement may have "forgotten" to tell the prospective RCA's that they need to have a route-capable vehicle. And the dirty little secret as in nothing in black and white, is manglement also expects POV users to have a back-up vehicle or rent one.

-- PO-603, page 3, Carrier Responsibilities. 12.e -- Providing and maintaining a vehicle ( if a USPS-owned/leased vehicle is not provided ) [ as in the case of POV routes ]...

-- Page 4 of the PO-603, Carrier Responsibilities. 141.1 -- Vehicle Requirements -- You are responsible for furnishing all vehicle equipment for safe and prompt handling of the mail, unless a USPS-owned/leased vehicle is assigned to the route.

-- Page 4 of the PO-603 -- Equipment and Supplies: 141.2 -- Vehicle Requirements -- Your personal vehicle....

-- M-38 ( Management of Rural Delivers ), Section 224.1 -- Managers must assure that, when required, rural carriers furnish a vehicle which is of sufficient capacity to accommodate the normal mail load....

-- M-38, Section 224.2 -- Any regular rural carrier or substitute assigned to serve a rural route, who is required by management to furnish a vehicle for that route shall be paid EMA.

-- Article 9.2.J.5 of the contract: Auxiliary Assistance and Auxiliary Rural Carriers. Unless a USPS owned or leased vehicle is provided, a leave replacement who is performing auxiliary assistance or is employed as an auxiliary rural carrier shall provide a vehicle.

-- On the other side of the coin, if a route is assigned an LLV or other postal-provided vehicle, if that vehicle is not available ( off to the shop, etc ) a rural carrier may be requested , BUT NOT REQUIRED, to provide a vehicle. Step 4 ( L-101 ).

Sattech200

I'm finding out that I must be weird but I absolutely hate delivering from an LLV versus my POV! Among other things I would much rather have a tray of mail in front of me instead of a steering wheel.

btdtret

Sattech200 -- "I'm finding out that I must be weird but I absolutely hate delivering from an LLV versus my POV! Among other things I would much rather have a tray of mail in front of me instead of a steering wheel. "

-- Probably a real good idea not to let Safety catch you with a tray of mail on your lap! Just might end up with an Emergency Placement in your record.

-- Some prefer burning the USPS's gas as well as letting the USPS foot the bill for repairs, insurance, tags, etc. to pay for everything associated with using a POV on the route. EMA probably will not cover many of the costs involved. Building up "O" time probably preferred to taking a day of annual or sick leave when the POV breaks down and unable to complete the route.

-- To each his own, as the saying goes.