• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Mapping

They're beginning to map our routes this week..anybody have any tips?
If you have townhomes, duplexes, or apartments, you’ll need to know where the front doors to these addresses are. Also, bring coffee. It can be a bit boring at times. If you have been scanning at the EXACT delivery location & following your Line of Travel, it could be all done in 1 day. The “pin” drops where you initiate the scan.

They're beginning to map our routes this week..anybody have any tips?
Think outside the box, mark your points for to the door parking and delivery, keeping worst case scenario in mind. (delivering in the snow would be an example) As (gotstamps) states if you have been driving the line of travel and scanning when you should it will be a piece of cake. Your parking or stop location for dismounts you will have to mark or drop a pin for as I said above take care of yourself.

Last edited:
Mapping (DPM) is not too tough in concept but in practical application it's not easy. The database often freezes so you can't resolve issues, that must be taken care of before submitting your work. If your deliveries are relatively far apart I'd think it's easier because you don't get any overlap issues between deliveries. If you work suburbia subdivisions, the homes are close and tough to plot, even if you've followed line of travel and scanned at the door. The "within five feet" rule continually pops up even when there's significantly more than five feet separation (cul de sacs are trouble). Don't group until the end, because if you have to resolve issues, you've got to de-group to do so. Use the forward arrows until the database freezes and you can't drag down the icons. Clear out cache in Chrome, let it rest for ten minutes, and try again. Go through the route, then fix issues, then group. Help desk does not respond to email or phone (I've called multiple times over the past three days and no reply). Be sure to check the dismount page in the edit menu and input distances and other information. There's more, but those are the high points. Good luck!

Mapping (DPM) is not too tough in concept but in practical application it's not easy. The database often freezes so you can't resolve issues, that must be taken care of before submitting your work. If your deliveries are relatively far apart I'd think it's easier because you don't get any overlap issues between deliveries. If you work suburbia subdivisions, the homes are close and tough to plot, even if you've followed line of travel and scanned at the door. The "within five feet" rule continually pops up even when there's significantly more than five feet separation (cul de sacs are trouble). Don't group until the end, because if you have to resolve issues, you've got to de-group to do so. Use the forward arrows until the database freezes and you can't drag down the icons. Clear out cache in Chrome, let it rest for ten minutes, and try again. Go through the route, then fix issues, then group. Help desk does not respond to email or phone (I've called multiple times over the past three days and no reply). Be sure to check the dismount page in the edit menu and input distances and other information. There's more, but those are the high points. Good luck!
I had ZERO issues and no ”freeze-ups”. Worked with curbsides, CBU neighborhoods, AND 4-plex townhomes. Some cul-de-sacs do get wonky but just move the curb boxes to the edge of the street & it seemed to correct the issue. I grouped as I went along without problems. CBUs tend to already be grouped in large groups so un-anchor & re-anchor the stop for all then anchor the mailboxes by CBU. After that it’s just a matter of park & door for each. I had Zero issues at the end so nothing to fix. Waiting 10 minutes between DPM & LTM allowed the system to catch up and made the line of travel run smoother. If a pkg deviation pops up when doing the LTM, check the “alternate route tabs for that line & the correct path is usually there.

I had ZERO issues and no ”freeze-ups”. Worked with curbsides, CBU neighborhoods, AND 4-plex townhomes. Some cul-de-sacs do get wonky but just move the curb boxes to the edge of the street & it seemed to correct the issue. I grouped as I went along without problems. CBUs tend to already be grouped in large groups so un-anchor & re-anchor the stop for all then anchor the mailboxes by CBU. After that it’s just a matter of park & door for each. I had Zero issues at the end so nothing to fix. Waiting 10 minutes between DPM & LTM allowed the system to catch up and made the line of travel run smoother. If a pkg deviation pops up when doing the LTM, check the “alternate route tabs for that line & the correct path is usually there.
Wow really different than my experience. Maybe it's the operator??? Perhaps our guy needs to be replaced......

What do you do for addresses who have never gotten a large parcel..... I have a few of those.... just make something up..... pick some spots.... :unsure: ?‍♂️:rolleyes:

I'm curious.

Since the official rule is that no driveway or private road is "passable" per po603 and elm definition.

Do you map a park point at the box and up to one way 0.49 miles to the door walking?

I would, the ELM hasn't changed.

I'm curious.

Since the official rule is that no driveway or private road is "passable" per po603 and elm definition.

Do you map a park point at the box and up to one way 0.49 miles to the door walking?

I would, the ELM hasn't changed.
Private Road is not a driveway. If there is a turn-around or can pull-through, we can pull into the driveway. I do have a couple that are short (+/- 150 ft) that I back into to effect parcel delivery due to safety. I’m not making people go to the PO just because the traffics has increased on their County Road.

Private Road is not a driveway. If there is a turn-around or can pull-through, we can pull into the driveway. I do have a couple that are short (+/- 150 ft) that I back into to effect parcel delivery due to safety. I’m not making people go to the PO just because the traffics has increased on their County Road.

We can do all the free work we want. Facts are facts, and if psform 4027 isn't approved for a driveway, why even take the parcel out? It's not on you, it's on the resident and postmaster.

Rural carriers keep treating this like a contracting service. Fact is, if we as a whole enforced the ELM. We would never go down a driveway or private road again unless 4027 is approved. This is part of the evaluated system...mileage.

Route Inspection/ Measurement calls for driving down in the middle of the street. Our route mileage is bases on this. Driveway is not part of the route unless measured. Parcel time is the same whether delivered in the mailbox or front door.

Route Inspection/ Measurement calls for driving down in the middle of the street. Our route mileage is bases on this. Driveway is not part of the route unless measured. Parcel time is the same whether delivered in the mailbox or front door.
but,,, parcel time, at least the 10 seconds for delivery, was established by a arb. who figured 75% fit in the box and 25% don't, so according to that logic we should be paid to drive down at least that many driveways at count, but,,, we aren't paid very well at all, our we....?

In RRECS, we will be paid for the mileage & footage to the door. We also will be paid differently on that mileag. It won’t be paid 2 minutes per mile under RRECS.
I don’t have a safe place to pull over to get out & walk a pkg to the door on most of my curbsides. This program does allow for a different park point that’s within 1/2 mile of the L.O.T. & I’ll take it. If you‘re not delivering the pkgs because of a “driveway”, then all those Leave Notices will only bring down your evaluation since you didn’t go to the door & a lot of hated from the folks on your route that cannot get to the PO during their short hours of business.

If the facilitator tries to rush through & doesn’t allow the computer to keep up, it can freeze up. The system must be able to “load” the route after a change.
We waited two hours for the freeze to thaw a number of times after minor changes or input. During Zoom training was told to wait "ten minutes" for processing. Spoke directly with program director for tech support, since she's heading the entire mapping figured that was the best source. She validated everything we were doing was accurate and correct. I would work early, 5 am, and things would process, but about 7:30 it all ground to a halt as more users were on the system nationwide.

Called upon the support staff provided and no reply in three days, dozens of calls and emails. We had no RCA's to cover routes except one, so I did most of the mapping project on my own. I had four different offices in the Area calling me for tech help as they couldn't get through to tech support either, and they were having the same issues I'd had. Region apparently referred them to me. One office had their resources quit, so EAS had to try to figure out what and how.

Best we could do with what we were given. They should have sent or selected a sharper tool if they wanted better performance. We did the best we could. Guess it was blind leading blind.

but,,, parcel time, at least the 10 seconds for delivery, was established by a arb. who figured 75% fit in the box and 25% don't, so according to that logic we should be paid to drive down at least that many driveways at count, but,,, we aren't paid very well at all, our we....?
30 seconds per parcel is set in stone. There’s no argument. Driving down the middle of the street during route inspection is also set in stone. No argument there. That’s where we got our route mileage. What is not set in stone is package to the front door. Using your 4/1 ratio, say 200 parcels, 50 parcels is delivered to front door. Let’s average to 3 minutes since on length of driveways different,( that’s the number Stutts was using) that’s 2 1/2 hours additional work compared to getting 5 minutes we are getting currently. That’s the flaw I found in this system.

Back