"Mysterious Mailboxes" aka-- parcel lockers

RDruckus

Best answers
I was reading a news item from California that said neighbors in a development were up in arms.

It seems the USPS installed black, 4-compartment vertical parcel lockers throughout the development, without warning or permission. These parcel lockers were spaced out at every third house, placed next to the customer's mailboxes.

Could this possibly be the reason RRECS is being delayed? The USPS needs time to put these things on every rural route in the country.

The article didn't say if these were city or rural delivery.

Last edited:

Trebehom

Best answers
I was reading a news item from California that said neighbor's in a development were up in arms.

It seems the USPS installed black, 4-compartment vertical parcel lockers throughout the development, without warning or permission. These parcel lockers were spaced out at every third house, placed next to the customer's mailboxes.

Could this possibly be the reason RRECS is being delayed? The USPS needs time to put these things on every rural route in the country.

What are RRECS? Sorry for the dumb question..

btdtret

Best answers
Trebehom -- "What are RRECS?"

-- Actually it is a single entity. AKA the Rural Route Evaluated Compensation System.

-- It has been developed to replace the old evaluated pay system and was supposed to be in place by 20 MAY 2015, per Arbitrator Clarke's "awarded" 2010-2015 contract. But the USPS and NRLCA felt they could come up with a better system than the arbitrator. To that end, however, RRECS has yet to be implemented!

-- FYI - the NRLCA is the only postal union that is paid evaluation. The other 3 unions are paid hourly.

-- In the past ( before Amazon ), the evaluated pay system worked. The "selling" point was that a carrier could complete a route under the evaluation and go home, while still getting paid the evaluation. ( something the USPS detested ). The down side was if one worked over the evaluation - that was "free" work the USPS was getting from the carrier. ( something the USPS liked ).

" Sorry for the dumb question.. "

-- The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask.

RDruckus

Best answers
What are RRECS? Sorry for the dumb question..
Not a dumb question!
You didn't know, so it's a great question! I respect you.

Under RRECS, we will be paid considerably more than we are now for parcels taken to the door.

This topic, "Engineer Study" is full of information about what the engineers came up with regarding the new (late!) RRECS way to pay us.
Go back and read the posts, you will know more about possible impacts on your work life than most rural carriers.

Keep those great questions coming, and remember: you just helped quite a few people who also wondered the same thing, but we're too shy to ask.

Itstillfun

Best answers
Not a dumb question!

Under RRECS, we will be paid considerably more than we are now for parcels taken to the door.

This topic, "Engineer Study" is full of information about what the engineers came up with regarding the new (late!) RRECS way to pay us.
Go back and read the posts, you will know more about possible impacts on your work life than most rural carriers.

Keep those great questions coming, and remember: you just helped quite a few people who also wondered the same thing, but we're too shy to ask.
Don't be afraid to share this knowledge this rural Union sometimes seems overly secretive. This member feels quite abandoned and often confused. I wouldn't think that following a contract would be so hard to enforce by a Union. Where's this power kept and will I see it in action.

Trebehom

Best answers
Don't be afraid to share this knowledge this rural Union sometimes seems overly secretive. This member feels quite abandoned and often confused. I wouldn't think that following a contract would be so hard to enforce by a Union. Where's this power kept and will I see it in action.
I do feel everything is a big secret and I tend to shy away from asking questions at my PO. When I do
Trebehom -- "What are RRECS?"

-- Actually it is a single entity. AKA the Rural Route Evaluated Compensation System.

-- It has been developed to replace the old evaluated pay system and was supposed to be in place by 20 MAY 2015, per Arbitrator Clarke's "awarded" 2010-2015 contract. But the USPS and NRLCA felt they could come up with a better system than the arbitrator. To that end, however, RRECS has yet to be implemented!

-- FYI - the NRLCA is the only postal union that is paid evaluation. The other 3 unions are paid hourly.

-- In the past ( before Amazon ), the evaluated pay system worked. The "selling" point was that a carrier could complete a route under the evaluation and go home, while still getting paid the evaluation. ( something the USPS detested ). The down side was if one worked over the evaluation - that was "free" work the USPS was getting from the carrier. ( something the USPS liked ).

" Sorry for the dumb question.. "

-- The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask.
Thank you!

Trebehom

Best answers
Not a dumb question!

Thank you!

RDruckus

Best answers
I was reading a news item from California that said neighbors in a development were up in arms.

Hey, if they put these on Morty's route, he can save them for the entitled ungrateful customers with "slot" mailboxes who force him to come to the door. Then he won't have to hear their lectures that it is his job to bring their shave club parcels to his door, and they can become acquainted with parcel lockers.

Wilco183

Best answers
I could not link the article, but search...

Mysterious mailboxes appear along Main Street, in neighborhoods – Fort Bragg

What are they thinking here, when the door is right there?

Postal-xam@58

Best answers
Trebehom,
You can use this site to help you a lot.

When I was a sub, I would ask questions at the office, but I got different answers, from different people. It seem to me they enjoyed keeping us in the dark. I found out later, they like it that way because if we didn’t know our rights , we could be used and abused.

So my advice to you, come back often, and ask everything you need to know.

If someone tells you something wrong, someone will catch it and correct it.

Wilco183

Best answers
@ Wilco 183:
Are they thinking it's cheaper under RRECS to pay us to put it in the parcel lockers than it would be if we hoofed it to the door?
Could be long-term bean counting at that. Locker and labor isn't cheap, yet some braintrust certainly briefed the numbers to project these lockers paying for themselves to get buy-in.

Trebehom

Best answers
Trebehom,
You can use this site to help you a lot.

When I was a sub, I would ask questions at the office, but I got different answers, from different people. It seem to me they enjoyed keeping us in the dark. I found out later, they like it that way because if we didn’t know our rights , we could be used and abused.

So my advice to you, come back often, and ask everything you need to know.

If someone tells you something wrong, someone will catch it and correct it.
Yes.. My initial post stated that I get the run around and have received many different answers to 1 question. It makes me uneasy not to know the right things to do..

jerrylann

Best answers

This is probably part of a program started about a year or so ago called, "Parcel Locker Initiative." There's a web page that your managers are supposed to use to identify locations where parcel lockers would be beneficial. I'm surprised there hasn't been more of these going up. Locations with existing NDCBU's that would benefit from more and larger parcel lockers, neighborhoods with high parcel volume, etc, were some of the suggested types of locations.

Altoonaflyer

Best answers
I was told by my former PM couple years ago that she was to identify possible sites on each route to put lockers, about every 10 boxes or so...never heard any more. I personally don’t see the po spending the $$ to install and maintain...nothing is big enough for what we deliver now anyway!☹

Windindaface

Best answers
Feeble recall here without RRECS compensation in front of me. Under REECS not knowing L M S credit for sort. Parcel to door around 19 secs per item without beat feet due.

Just saying here to those with parcel lockers... Where is it in a written format one is required to stuff a parcel locker to the hilt for a single customer? I can put it in but will you be able to open it? Your stuffing might have impeded turn key access to open.

Sucks to be that customer who has to go to the PO to pick up item due to no parcel locker availability.

RDruckus

Best answers
When my parcel lockers are full at manufactured housing estate, I deliver the rest to the door(s).