• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

National Board Policies: Construction and Implementation

Dominator

Does anyone know how National Board policy is crafted and implemented?

I'm curious if there is a current structure or if it's all just pulled out of thin air. I can't find anything in the national constitution specifically expressing "policy" creation or administration.

I will appreciate citations or resources provided.

Well, don’t ask National because they will not tell you and most definitely will not let you read!!
It sounds like you've had some unfortunate experience questioning how your dues money is being spent.

Is the National Board aware that the constitution doesn't grant them authority to implement policies that cannot be reviewed by members or delegates for constitutionality?

If this weren't the case, a board policy to (for example) "lie, cheat, and/or steal from the membership" could escape being challenged provided it were simply implemented upon the membership during "executive session".

Someone out there must know the rules on NRLCA policymaking. This ain't the "Make-A-Wish" foundation!

Last edited:
You know, I've pondered that from time to time as well. I know we all refer to "it" as Constitution and Bylaws but where are the "bylaws" part ? Is it a separate manual ? It would seem that bylaws would be board policies or , at least, include board policies and how those policies are born, discussed / voted upon, implemented , etc. I would hope that board policies are not something autonomously and / or autocratically implemented.

You know, I've pondered that from time to time as well. I know we all refer to "it" as Constitution and Bylaws but where are the "bylaws" part ? Is it a separate manual ? It would seem that bylaws would be board policies or , at least, include board policies and how those policies are born, discussed / voted upon, implemented , etc.
Robert's Rules suggests that having separate manuals is pointless if one isn't more difficult to amend than the other. Combining the documents reduces confusion on what rules can (and cannot) be suspended. It concludes that a constitution supersedes bylaws.

Not that we do all that well with reducing confusion at a convention. There is always some sort of "yellow card" debacle.

I would hope that board policies are not something autonomously and / or autocratically implemented.
I hope for the same.

It would be peculiar if 100K+ people were blindly following (potentially) illegitimate directions that carry zero enforceability.

It sounds like you've had some unfortunate experience questioning how your dues money is being spent.

Is the National Board aware that the constitution doesn't grant them authority to implement policies that cannot be reviewed by members or delegates for constitutionality?

If this weren't the case, a board policy to (for example) "lie, cheat, and/or steal from the membership" could escape being challenged provided it were simply implemented upon the membership during "executive session".

Someone out there must know the rules on NRLCA policymaking. This ain't the "Make-A-Wish" foundation!
Oh you bet I’ve had interaction 😈😈😈. Asked for copy of minutes and copy of board policies. I was told very quickly “NOPE”! Then low and behold our wonderful state decides to implement same action… you can see but not touch!!!

Go to a town board or school board meeting. The same process plays out in any kind of board. They make those public, but residents aren't allowed input unless the board agrees to it.

Create an agenda, debate it, and vote on it. They give the perception that resolutions we send up give us a feeling of ownership. When in reality, the board is the ones making the final decisions without our input.

This 99.98% survival rate pandemic has shown what it really is. No votes or resolutions in 2 years, yet they're calling the shots. People who very well may have never carried Amazon or dealt with RCA shortages or have had to work 6 days a week on large Ks being out past dark for years on end. Those are the ones leading us. The clueless making the final decisions.

They operate as a dictatorship all in top secret using every trick to keep information out of hands of anyone who'd object of question until it's implemented and too late to do anything about it.
So you're saying we need some rules that restrict all Boards from sneaky business?

Hmm...

What are the (known) methods that Boards have ran a game over the people?

Go to a town board or school board meeting. The same process plays out in any kind of board. They make those public, but residents aren't allowed input unless the board agrees to it.

Create an agenda, debate it, and vote on it. They give the perception that resolutions we send up give us a feeling of ownership. When in reality, the board is the ones making the final decisions without our input.

This 99.98% survival rate pandemic has shown what it really is. No votes or resolutions in 2 years, yet they're calling the shots. People who very well may have never carried Amazon or dealt with RCA shortages or have had to work 6 days a week on large Ks being out past dark for years on end. Those are the ones leading us. The clueless making the final decisions.
Meanwhile, IMO every missed delivery and package delay due to understaffing results in a further erosion of trust by the American public, who are going to utilize other carriers as a result.

How to privatize package delivery without privatizing the postal service.

I general, boards are elected by members of the group to represent them in decisions, thus no direct input of the members on most activities. When a large chunk of members don't actively participate in the selection of the board then a minority of members makes the decisions for whom get to represent them.

I'm not sure how it is where people posting in this thread live, but most public meetings are only (changed from "aren't") attended by a couple members of the public unless there's an issue. Lots of people vote just based on party or name, not actual information on who's running.

In reality, the only way a board can KEEP doing things against majority of the membership is if the majority of those who VOTE keep allowing it.

It's no different for school boards, union boards, local town boards, etc. The only exception I can think of is the US president.

Average (?) 4 years as a sub, 25 years as a carrier, 20 years as a retiree...

Unless there's pressure from understaffing on those 45 non RCA years, nothing will ever change. No one votes against their self interest.

?

Meanwhile, IMO every missed delivery and package delay due to understaffing results in a further erosion of trust by the American public, who are going to utilize other carriers as a result.

How to privatize package delivery without privatizing the postal service.
You underestimate Americans resolve. No one will pay for free delivery. But they will complain about how much they pay for free delivery.

Back