New contract and strobe light provision POV

MiddleOfNowhere

Didn’t use the roof mount style. Used front and rear interior mounted led bars. If a next time/vehicle, I’d do the hideaways in the factory light housing.
depending on where you live, like in snow country, the lights in the factory housings, are quick to cover with snow, and the led lights produce little heat, to keep them melted off. even the led headlights on my 2017 jeep, are too cool to keep them from icing over.

csparks

Also in the plastic roof Jeep limbo.... I am NOT going to drill the roof. I might try the "glue down a metal strip" tactic. JB Weld has a ton of stuff out there now. Other than that, Anyone got other simple ideas around this issue, or success stories?

I've looked at LED tail-lights, but I'm not spending over $100 of my own money for this.

Last edited:

Chiefsub45

Simple fix for using magnetic lights on a jeep--go to hardware store and get magnets for the underside. I got mine from Harbor Freight, two 90 lb magnets hold on my led strobe. No problem, goes through car washes, interstate driving, it has never moved. No damage to my roof. To protect the white inside, I placed a small microfiber cloth between the magnet and the roof. Works great!

Boston65

Safety at District level can answer the question about the strobe light issue. The strobe should actually be assigned to the route so that subs can use as well.

csparks

Simple fix for using magnetic lights on a jeep--go to hardware store and get magnets for the underside. I got mine from Harbor Freight, two 90 lb magnets hold on my led strobe. No problem, goes through car washes, interstate driving, it has never moved. No damage to my roof. To protect the white inside, I placed a small microfiber cloth between the magnet and the roof. Works great!
So these will stay in place on the underside/inside of the Jeep, and still pull enough to hold that strobe to the top? Crazy. With the potholes and horrible washboard banging I go thru, they'd have to be powerful.
Like this:

or this?

Chiefsub45

So these will stay in place on the underside/inside of the Jeep, and still pull enough to hold that strobe to the top? Crazy. With the potholes and horrible washboard banging I go thru, they'd have to be powerful.
Like this:

or this?
I use the flat magnets. They have been on through rough roads, high winds, low-hanging branches rubbing the light, etc, and they have never moved in almost 3 years. There are two magnets on my light, so I use one for each. I can barely pull them off myself. They were cheap, and I figured worth a try as I didn't want to damage my jeep roof. I have never regretted it.

Sandygirl

Also in the plastic roof Jeep limbo.... I am NOT going to drill the roof. I might try the "glue down a metal strip" tactic. JB Weld has a ton of stuff out there now. Other than that, Anyone got other simple ideas around this issue, or success stories?

I put mine on the American drivers' (Jeep Wrangler RHD)way at the back behind my gas cap, peeps coming at you can see it and peeps behind you can see it because it is NOT on the roof it is down low in their eye sight...

magnolia72

Just ordered the LINKITOM LK-806B https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P8RZVCZ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Hope this will do the trick, although it's on my dime.. :( Since the PO doesn't care about my safety anymore I just changed my mind and don't care about theirs either. No more curbing wheels, shutting off engine and will be backing my entire route if needed, oh the fun I will have doing it. :)
Bleostic, you and I are fluent in the same language!! LOL

blamethesub

I put mine on the American drivers' side way at the back behind my gas cap, peeps coming at you can see it and peeps behind you can see it because it is NOT on the roof it is down low in their eye sight...
I've seen carriers in the neighboring town who do this. Seeing that light sticking out of the side of the vehicle really gets your attention because it looks so strange.

FXDL2003

pretty simple to me, if it is required as a safety item then they need to supply it. UNLESS they inform a person when they are hired that they are no longer provided and it is the carrier's responsibility to provide one.

DB.Cooper

Wow! I'm shocked to learn that strobe lights were ever furnished, in my neck of the woods they never were... if we wanted them we had to buy them ourselves, needless to say hardly anyone I've ever known have them and I have worked in three different areas.
So you just run with no strobes???? Safety first.... :rolleyes:

Postal-xam@58

We are required to have a light. Our office furnished them for awhile, but they were junk.

On my Jeep I use a flashing light that fits over the sun visors. I have another on the back glass, held on by suction cups. I use a dual connect - and plug them in as one. They have 4 or 5 settings to choose from. They cost more than the rinky-dink kind , after 8 years still going strong. I ordered them on line for emergency vehicles.

BigGreenie

Anyone have a Jeep with the plastic roof panels? What are you doing for the strobe requirement as they mostly are all attached by magnet?
Don't really have experience with plastic roof panels, but if the light bar has magnets to attach it to the roof, maybe you could look for some good size earth magnets. Just put them on the inside of the roof, and they should be strong enough to hold the light bar above on the outside.

muttleycrue

I used to go to the truck stop and purchase the elcheapo strobes that lasted about a year. After the last one bit the dust, I just run with my flashers on. I don't see LLV's with strobes, they only use their flashers. What's good for the goose...
LLVs are obvious and recognizable all by themselves. They don't need so many flashy lights and other signs (beyond the existing style and symbols all over them). A private vehicle blends in with all the other private vehicles on the road.

In my opinion strobe lights are a necessary safety feature for POV drivers. Anything that helps other drivers realize that I'm not just another Wrangler among a sea of Wranglers out on the roads.