• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

No Talking?

We happen to still live in a freedom of speech country, and unless your supervisor can prove you can't work and talk at the same time, you can talk. Any time you stop your work you should time yourself as a break, but there is no way to discipline a working and talking carrier.

I guess it is where you work.....I didn't say much the other day and the PM came over to check if I was OK. This Post Office went though a period of another administration with the NO TALKING RULE......it didn't last.....so just hang in there and wait it out.

Ibpd16 -- "My office is really pushing "no talking" in the mornings. Is that some kind of rule? Or is it just a particular office/supervisor? It reminds me of being in school.....no talking, walk on the line, keep together or go to the principal's office!"

-- It was / is known as the "Golden Hour". First popped up in the 2000's - 2001's. Manglement's aim was to have carriers working mail at their case for the first hour of the work day. In some post offices, it meant no talking - period, no bath room break, no coffee break, no visiting other carriers, etc.

-- The NALC made a big deal of it. Search for "golden hour" in RI's KNOWLEDGEBASE Section.

-- "Faceindawind" posted of it back in 2015, stating the "Golden Hour" did not last long when implemented at his office. When manglement came to a carrier's case, the carrier would tell manglement to come back when the "Golden Hour" is up.

-- Didn't last long either at my post office because of the staggered start times.

Been there done that. When approached by management about some stupid question in this golden hour. Refer to their rule and let them explain to customer on phone who can't find item you left the day before or talking to you about their plan for your obvious missing last truck for the day.

Oh this rule does not apply to management? Then why does it apply to all of us who opt not to sit behind a desk? Are you better than me and can ignore the rules you set? Why am I being singled out in this instance? Do I need to file EEO?

Last edited:
My office is really pushing "no talking" in the mornings. Is that some kind of rule? Or is it just a particular office/supervisor? It reminds me of being in school.....no talking, walk on the line, keep together or go to the principal's office!

I've read your posts,

They tried to destroy you financially ( POV Driver with EMA not covering repair Bills from the very beginning )
They are destroying you physically ( 2 subs for How Many Routes? And surgery scheduled )
Now they want to destroy you mentally? ( NO TALKING ? Is This A North Vietnamese Prison Camp or a place of employment? )

Not My Idea Of Retirement, to each his own.

I'm starting to think I should take the advice of some of you and find another gig. Those that read my posts know I have developed a couple of trigger fingers. The last few nights it seems I've got the initial signs of carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. Wake up with a numb/tingling thumb. Noticed today wrist is a little sore. A few have suggested stretching exercises and a wrist brace to wear while working and while sleeping.

Of course websites say the best way to prevent or stop CTS is to rest. Thats not possible in my sub-short office.

I mentioned my issues to my fellow RCA and she is having similar problems. Sore/numb arm/elbow and some shoulder/neck issues.

I guess thats what happens when working 50+ hours a week, 6 days a week for months on end.

We are in Texas and both of us are considering working for HEB. Supposedly their part timers get excellent benefits.

Its too bad because i'm not really a people person and like working alone. This job was perfect for me. I was hoping to do this another 12 years til I can start drawing my police pension and my IRAs, or maybe even longer to SS or medicare age. But its apparent that physically its just not going to happen.

The ARC position is available but there is no insurance so thats not really an option.

Does anyone know if I quit my RCA job am I eligible for COBRA even though I havent been on the job for a year?

Another option would be waiting til the end of May when I hit my 1 year mark. That would make me eligible for FMLA. I guess thats one way to take some time off.

But if I don't work I don't get paid. How do I pay for my insurance since its payroll deduction? Do they send me a bill?

I've seen many posts where they say its nearly impossible to get workers comp from the USPS. Apparently USPS can play the long game and drag things out. Its something that i've thought about but seems unlikely

I'm starting to think I should take the advice of some of you and find another gig. Those that read my posts know I have developed a couple of trigger fingers. The last few nights it seems I've got the initial signs of carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. Wake up with a numb/tingling thumb. Noticed today wrist is a little sore. A few have suggested stretching exercises and a wrist brace to wear while working and while sleeping.

Of course websites say the best way to prevent or stop CTS is to rest. Thats not possible in my sub-short office.

I mentioned my issues to my fellow RCA and she is having similar problems. Sore/numb arm/elbow and some shoulder/neck issues.

I guess thats what happens when working 50+ hours a week, 6 days a week for months on end.

We are in Texas and both of us are considering working for HEB. Supposedly their part timers get excellent benefits.

Its too bad because i'm not really a people person and like working alone. This job was perfect for me. I was hoping to do this another 12 years til I can start drawing my police pension and my IRAs, or maybe even longer to SS or medicare age. But its apparent that physically its just not going to happen.

The ARC position is available but there is no insurance so thats not really an option.

Does anyone know if I quit my RCA job am I eligible for COBRA even though I havent been on the job for a year?

Another option would be waiting til the end of May when I hit my 1 year mark. That would make me eligible for FMLA. I guess thats one way to take some time off.

But if I don't work I don't get paid. How do I pay for my insurance since its payroll deduction? Do they send me a bill?

I found something that has really helped me. (I finally stopped lurking so I could tell you about it!) In November the bones in the palms of my hands swelled and started hurting, just like my knuckles already were. I've been doing this job for 35 years, and wondered how I could keep working, taking this beating from Amazon.

I tried taking off 2 non-consecutive weeks, no help.
Started intermittent fasting, surprise, tremendous improvement! It's not starving or a diet, it's timed eating to get your body to make repair hormones.
You make more stem cells and 700 percent more human growth hormone.
It's FREE, you don't need to buy anything special.
Learned about it on YouTube from Dr Jason Fung.
(I wanted to avoid vein surgery, so I tried it, Veins feel better, but still need surgery)
I hope this helps you. If I do it 4 days/week, I can do my 46K with no pain.

Last edited:
I found that intermittent fasting (IF) made the pain and swelling in my hands better. I can do my 46K without pain if I do IF 4 days a week. It's free, you don't have to buy anything, it times your eating so you make more stem cells and HGH. (I discovered Dr Jason Fung on YouTube in Nov.) Hope it helps you.

Back