• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Nonunion members getting union help

Amandamarie29

Anyone else have coworkers who use the union even if they aren’t a member? Honestly it really annoys me. They don’t pay union dues, but the union helps them every time. I have one coworker who always files grievances and wins, but isn’t part of the union.
Anyone else get annoyed by this?

Yes, and so does my state. There have been resolutions made asking that non-members pay for the cost to our union for all representation. We are required by law to provide representation, but that non-member may be charged for any cost the union may have incurred.
Maybe just point out to your coworker that the "wins" he has had may have already given him enough money to pay his yearly dues, so why not join.

Yes, and so does my state. There have been resolutions made asking that non-members pay for the cost to our union for all representation. We are required by law to provide representation, but that non-member may be charged for any cost the union may have incurred.
Maybe just point out to your coworker that the "wins" he has had may have already given him enough money to pay his yearly dues, so why not join.

The unions demanded such a law to so require because they wish their sole bargaining authority to be enforced by government power. They have been "complaining" about it ever since in order to justify a demand that they be allowed to collect money from non-members.

The Supreme Court decision, Janus v. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees makes it illegal for force public employees to pay union dues or "agency fees." Our association doesn't do that anyway but they certainly make it as difficult as possible to stop paying them once one starts.

Perhaps you believe our association is an effective representative of rural carriers. I do not. I still pay dues because in my ignorance I started paying them years ago. I see no reason to continue to do so save for the ridiculously difficult process of stopping it.

Let's all keep in mind that the NRLCA is to protect and defend and represent the PROCESS. Management is the enemy NOT the non member. While I understand and respect the position of union loyalists , enforcing the National Agreement , handbooks and manuals, etc. is first and foremost. Union officials that allow their emotions to cloud their intellect will do The Association more harm than a non member. If a local steward and / or ADR approached a grievance with prejudice based upon membership or lack thereof, he, she, they, would be derelict in their duty.

And a lot of people feel the "loss or failure to fight" has cost them more than their dues and then some.

The unions demanded such a law to so require because they wish their sole bargaining authority to be enforced by government power. They have been "complaining" about it ever since in order to justify a demand that they be allowed to collect money from non-members.

The Supreme Court decision, Janus v. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees makes it illegal for force public employees to pay union dues or "agency fees." Our association doesn't do that anyway but they certainly make it as difficult as possible to stop paying them once one starts.

Perhaps you believe our association is an effective representative of rural carriers. I do not. I still pay dues because in my ignorance I started paying them years ago. I see no reason to continue to do so save for the ridiculously difficult process of stopping it.
It's NOT that difficult!! I did it in 2018, and have ZERO regret! Give yourself the ~$800/year raise!

I’d probably agree with you if I felt like the union fought for me to have benefits. I have paid union dues for 15 years as an rca and I cringe thinking about all the money I have wasted. I should have just opened a savings account and considered it my retirement. Retrospect is a b**ch my friends.

crosseyedmary -- " I have paid union dues for 15 years as an rca and I cringe thinking about all the money I have wasted. "

-- Not sure by your posting if you have finally made regular or if even still a union member.

-- If not, you will really cringe when you see what union dues are for a regular!

crosseyedmary -- " I have paid union dues for 15 years as an rca and I cringe thinking about all the money I have wasted. "

-- Not sure by your posting if you have finally made regular or if even still a union member.

-- If not, you will really cringe when you see what union dues are for a regular!

Still not regular, still a union member. I just meant wasted in the sense that I don’t feel as though the union does much for rcas. I’m hoping when I’m regular I won’t feel that way and will be happy to pay a higher fee.

Had a REP once tell me when I was on the outside... Sure I have to represent you. It does not mean I have to swing for the fences for you.

I'm sure that statement holds true for many REPS out there.
My in office steward is like that now. Every grievance I file going forward will be through the DR, or will have a faxed copy sent to DR when I give it to shop steward.
I'll be d@^^€d if I lose my job because stewpot throws another grievance in the trash.

Had a REP once tell me when I was on the outside... Sure I have to represent you. It does not mean I have to swing for the fences for you.

I'm sure that statement holds true for many REPS out there.

Not so. Stewards aren’t even allowed to ask a grievant about their Union status. That’s not to say there’s not a way to know but they just can’t ask.
It doesn’t matter to me if an employee is or isn’t. My issue is those Union members that bash the Union & Stewards & treat them like crap, then expect to be represented like we’re besties. They won’t complain to mgmt but will piss & moan for days if the Office Stew doesn’t fix an issue they have. Then when it is fixed, they complain about the “fix”.?

............. My issue is those Union members that bash the Union & Stewards & treat them like crap, then expect to be represented like we’re besties. They won’t complain to mgmt but will piss & moan for days if the Office Stew doesn’t fix an issue they have. Then when it is fixed, they complain about the “fix”.?

Exactly! It drives me crazy to see this.

When I have an issue, I address management.
(I tell them they can check what I'm saying with steward.)

If a grievance is needed, I file.

I've spent my life trying to refine my ability to act like a grown-up. I wish my management team and a few of my fellow carriers would adopt that goal.

Last edited:
Back