NRLCA: USPS Leadership Hints at Possible Big Cuts for Postal Workers in New Draft Plan

Ruralinfo

Administrator
Staff member
Details of the USPS’ draft 10-year business plan are slowly being released, and the plan suggests that Congress should approve cuts to postal workers’ benefits. The changes include reducing paid leave, increasing employees’ share of retirement plan contributions, moving to...

Continue reading...

LostinDakota

Another 10 year plan to sit on the shelf like its predecessors. Congress does not want to put USPS employees on Medicare because the only thing keeping the current Medicare system half-way afloat is the fact that USPS employees all pay into Medicare, but few of us use it. If we all have to use the Medicare program, that means Congress will have to actually have to provide additional money to the program by raising rates or some other method to provide an influx of cash. All guaranteed to get the over 65 crowd riled up. In an election year. And they ALL vote. I don't believe this part will happen.

PastOThirty

Not really a hint, when it is both blatant and a reoccurring overt threat.

I appreciate our union reminding us, and not suggesting an alternate path or dispute of claims that work against us. Fear is a great tool if you don’t have an honest tool better suited the task of convincing an audience to or from action. I still will vote in the negative. Excellent leadership!

Charlie Brown

Another 10 year plan to sit on the shelf like its predecessors. Congress does not want to put USPS employees on Medicare because the only thing keeping the current Medicare system half-way afloat is the fact that USPS employees all pay into Medicare, but few of us use it. If we all have to use the Medicare program, that means Congress will have to actually have to provide additional money to the program by raising rates or some other method to provide an influx of cash. All guaranteed to get the over 65 crowd riled up. In an election year. And they ALL vote. I don't believe this part will happen.
Everybody gets Medicare at 65. As I understand it as a retiree at 65 I'll get medicare and keep my FEHB. Medicare will pay for hospital stays, surgery, the big stuff. My FEHB will cover tests, office visits, prescription drugs etc.
With "Medicare integration" (their term) I'll lose my FEHB at 65 and have to buy Medicare part B which covers Dr. visits, tests etc. And I'll also have to buy part D which covers prescriptions. There are all kinds of plans, Medicare advantage (part C) is one that covers both A and B It's enough to make your head spin. The thing is, I hear two stories, one says we'll be paying more for these other Medicare plans than we have to pay for our current FEHB and the other is that it can and will actually be a little less. ( I know my brother pays less for a full coverage plan than I pay for FEHB and I have the BC-BS basic that costs me $159 per month.) I honestly don't know what will be better, I'm 63 and haven't had the need to deal with this yet.
I have read that the other union presidents do support "Medicare integration" and for a good reason. Think about this, If all the over 65 retirees are off of FEHB, then there's no more need to pre fund retiree health benefits. The pre funding of about 5 billion a year has been what's driving the USPS into the red for the past 13 or so years. That alone would change the USPS financial picture from really horrible to bad, but maybe manageable.