• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Overtime or second trip?

Lyra

Regular here: When we return from our route. If there is a parcel on our desk.. we are told to take it. They come from express, after we have left (He comes around 12-1) They are not due till the next day because, They are first class or 2 day. Not express! When you look up the tracking it says due the following day. Yet we still have to take it... it’s coming from the Mpo’s orders.

arrived at 12:33 on the 7th.. it was expected for the 8th.

I’ve had 2nd trips on my last 3 pay checks totaling $80.00 combined. The pay check coming up every day was a 2nd trip total of 74 miles.

Well, I'd take the money and run.

However, I understand what a PITA this is.

Have you notified your POOM, area VP and/or DR? A lot of these MPOOs make up stuff as they go along whilst ruling their fiefdoms. (POOMs and area VPs always act surprised/concerned when we drop the dime on PMs and MPOOs at conferences. Most of the time the problem is taken care of the same day.)

Jess -- "When we return from our route. If there is a parcel on our desk.. we are told to take it. They come from express, after we have left (He comes around 12-1) They are not due till the next day because, They are first class or 2 day. Not express! "

-- POV or LLV??

-- Regular or RCA??

-- If you don't have an office steward, you could contact your Assistant District Representative ( step lower than "Oi veh's" District Representative )

-- Step 4 ( V-1 ) deals with compensation to rural carriers when being REQUIRED to make deliveries after returning from the standard street duties ( including but not limited to express mail, priority mail, or missorted mail available for delivery AFTER the carrier originally left for street duties ). Better defined as "Additional Trips", not "Second Trips".

-- Not to be confused with Second Trips because carrier was not able to fit ALL the mail into the vehicle due to mail volume and / or parcel / vehicle size. Step 4 ( V-2 )

-- Both require manglement approve the delivery. So take the money to the bank.

"My concern is: If keep going over my evaluation.. I’m going to be a a 2080 issue!"

-- Be sure to note the trips on the 4240 ( an official document that should be produced upon request ) for future reference as the Guarantee Year winds down in September into October. Keep track of the trips at home to -- for future reference.

-- Has manglement recently notified you of being on the "Eagan List", of PROJECTION of 2080 / 2240 issues? If not, you probably have some wiggle room.

-- How much extra time is added to your workday when making "additional trips"?

-- And how often does this happen?

-- Any RCA's sitting at home that could come in to make deliveries of the late arriving parcels? If so, they probably could grieve and still get paid for the work some other carrier has done, which could force manglement to call them in instead of having carriers make the additional trips after completing their route.

-- BTW -- Late arrive Express Mail items can be delivered by anyone in the Post Office - including the PM.

-- Take it easy on the PM as this is being driven by personnel higher up on the food chain.

-- Document, document, and yes - document.

I just want to make sure I’m being paid right. I’m a regular with LLV. I will contact the DR.. The postmaster takes express mail, she doesn’t take the packages because they’re not due till the next day but we are required to take them. I mean I’ve probably worked 4 hours and second trips.. i’ve never been on the 2080 list however other people in the office are on the list

So funny how offices/districts differ in policy. We often have packages that come in well after we leave the office. It'll be sitting on my case when I get back from rte, I scan it customer hold, and deliver it the next day. No problems, no issues.

I just want to make sure I’m being paid right. I’m a regular with LLV. I will contact the DR.. The postmaster takes express mail, she doesn’t take the packages because they’re not due till the next day but we are required to take them. I mean I’ve probably worked 4 hours and second trips.. i’ve never been on the 2080 list however other people in the office are on the list
So do you write down your mileage and get paid to minutes per mile for delivering those packages? I know you won’t get the mileage since it’s an LLV.

Looseletter2019 -- "So what if a customer calls in and saying they tracked their package and it shows on hold when they were home?"

-- If you are there to take the call, "Hold, please, while I get the postmaster!"

-- If not, let the PM or clerk handle it.

"I’m a regular. Stinking paystub is so confusing. I wouldn’t put it past management did not pay for the second trip’s. "

-- That is why you keep a record of your work hours at home and document additional trips on the 4240, making a copy ( with or without manglement's permission ) when the 4240 is filled up. The 4240 is an official document, so manglement "should" be able to produce it if you or a steward asks for it. But things have been known to get "lost" in the postal system.

-- Be proactive in protecting your pay.

-- Google "postal bulletin 22180"

-- Under the FINANCE section: Correction: Earning Statements For Rural Carriers

-- That might help in figuring out the pay stub.

This is not a second trip. This is a new duty, added onto your day. If you have worked your evaluation, this should be overtime hours for any minutes used for this "New duty". New duties are any new or extra work that was not done during your last count nor agreed upon at your pre-count conference. First ask your pm to pay it as overtime hours (giving her the opportunity to "do right") then file a grievance when you get a refusal. Either way you win, if she pays it, her manager will freak out and she will stop this, if she doesn't all of these noncontractual actions will be brought to light in the grievance. Don't "feel" bad for your pm she has put herself into this position by not standing up to her POOM when ridiculous orders are given.

I talked to the union she said/

“Possible they hold you 20 minutes past leave time if grieved and might eliminate 2nd trip time. So up to you and how important it is for you to leave for the route early. Just maybe also change start times later to avoid wait time.”

Sorry but Mgmt has the right to send carriers out on 2nd trips if parcels come in AFTER mail has been called up. It is to be paid as 2nd trip time. This has happened a few times so I had to look it up for possible Pre-Ds being done due to refusals.
Also... As long as you are paid to do whatever is being added as a new task, mgmt can have you do it. If it’s a permanent change, it needs to be timed & added to the route as an adjustment.

When you write it down, it’s “2nd trip: __ miles x 2 min= ___ + ___ min loading = ___”. Also note the #of miles over 40 that need to be paid as extra EMA for POV routes.

I am being paid. I just want to double check if it's just miles.. I was paid out $80 last paycheck and Im sure with 74 miles this paycheck, It will be a good chunk. I have an LLV. My concern was they are coming with the express guy. If you track them online.. they are due the NEXT day. They were not express, they were first class or priority. This has just started happing in the last month. It's a NEW duty.

Back