Parcel volume continues to increase...solutions?

Lady Carrier

"We have delivered critical goods and supplies and, as you know, parcel volume continues to increase.
We are working closely with the Postal Service to find solutions to some of the issues created by this development."

#1 solution would be adjust routes according to added parcel volume, after immediate 2 week count.
#2 solution is National Mail Count in September. But parcel times need to be corrected to study times.
#3 use Christmas rules during this pandemic with Aux help and OT.
#4 go to hourly pay.

Which solution do you like?
Or what solution would you add?

shoe72

5. Let Amazon, UPS and FedEx deliver their own crap. All of them make money at doing what they do, that will let us explore what we, USPS, need to do to fix ourselves. It could be better for us or worse for us but at least we won't have other 'competitors' products to include in our issues.

csparks

Review routes via scanner data for last 4 months.
Routes with sufficient increase (30%?) switch to hourly whenever eval exceeded by 30 min.
Mondays, holidays always hourly.
This sticks until there is either a mail count, or definitive implementation of whatever the heck RRECs really is.

Just loose idea?

itsme

Remember last political season? In my area it meant 12+ hour days. Its nearly 4 years later and I doubt the association has even thought about helping with that. We will never be paid for this volume. We still do not get a proper credit for spurs. Why not? Its bigger than a flat, smaller than a parcel and has a barcode. These take longer to handle than a flat so why do we only get flat credit. rant over ;) Long story short... I don't know how I'll be able to do political AND todays parcel volume

Haychica

"We have delivered critical goods and supplies and, as you know, parcel volume continues to increase.
We are working closely with the Postal Service to find solutions to some of the issues created by this development."

#1 solution would be adjust routes according to added parcel volume, after immediate 2 week count.
#2 solution is National Mail Count in September. But parcel times need to be corrected to study times.
#3 use Christmas rules during this pandemic with Aux help and OT.
#4 go to hourly pay.

Which solution do you like?
Or what solution would you add?
I say 4...

Haychica

Remember last political season? In my area it meant 12+ hour days. Its nearly 4 years later and I doubt the association has even thought about helping with that. We will never be paid for this volume. We still do not get a proper credit for spurs. Why not? Its bigger than a flat, smaller than a parcel and has a barcode. These take longer to handle than a flat so why do we only get flat credit. rant over ;) Long story short... I don't know how I'll be able to do political AND todays parcel volume
And don't forget...spurs are charged parcel rate
You're not alone..we were just talking about this Saturday...if I had my old volume plus these parcels I'd be dead already

RDruckus

I like #3, but many places don't have enough subs to make this a reality.

I propose they do option 3, with added incentives to subs:
1.) All pay to be increased $5.00 an hour.
2.) Higher cost areas like Denver, North Dakota, parts of California, all craft to be given increased pay.
3.) All subs with 6 months of service get a $500 bonus.
All subs with 12-18 months of service get a $1000 bonus.
All subs with more than 18 months of service get a $1500 bonus.
Now. Not 42 weeks from now. Now.
4.) All subs get time and a half on Sundays and holidays, with double time for any days going over 12 hours.

Or...
Regular carriers given the option of OT or assistance, their choice.
Regular carriers working their day off or Holiday given double time, or two days off, their choice.

Second and third, or more trips paid actual time at the OT rate.

Mandatory release of RRECS time study data.

Haychica

I like #3, but many places don't have enough subs to make this a reality.

I propose they do option 3, with added incentives to subs:
1.) All pay to be increased $5.00 an hour.
2.) Higher cost areas like Denver, North Dakota, parts of California, all craft to be given increased pay.
3.) All subs with 6 months of service get a $500 bonus.
All subs with 12-18 months of service get a $1000 bonus.
All subs with more than 18 months of service get a $1500 bonus.
Now. Not 42 weeks from now. Now.
4.) All subs get time and a half on Sundays and holidays, with double time for any days going over 12 hours.

Or...
Regular carriers given the option of OT or assistance, their choice.
Regular carriers working their day off or Holiday given double time, or two days off, their choice.

Second and third, or more trips paid actual time at the OT rate.

Mandatory release of RRECS time study data.
I just like city and clerk pay scale..
They have a sign up option:
Only 8hr
10 hr
12hr
Hol/drop option to work ot
EASY peasy

flash

I just like city and clerk pay scale..
They have a sign up option:
Only 8hr
10 hr
12hr
Hol/drop option to work ot
EASY peasy
I’ve asked a lot of questions of city carriers and I still don’t understand how they work, I’m afraid it’s not so easy peasy,,,
I still stand behind the rural carrier evaluation, we just need to be COUNTED!!! 3 years of no counts is ridiculous. And I’m sorry, but I can still make evaluation because I bust ass, so it’s hardly fair to talk about changing only the slower carriers....
and there is a ton of opportunity to get in a craft in the post office with hourly pay if hourly is all anyone wants

RDruckus

I’ve asked a lot of questions of city carriers and I still don’t understand how they work, I’m afraid it’s not so easy peasy,,,
I still stand behind the rural carrier evaluation, we just need to be COUNTED!!! 3 years of no counts is ridiculous. And I’m sorry, but I can still make evaluation because I bust ass, so it’s hardly fair to talk about changing only the slower carriers....
and there is a ton of opportunity to get in a craft in the post office with hourly pay if hourly is all anyone wants
In your case you should be able to opt for additional COVID pay for parcels over what you had during count.

I don't think mail volumes should enter into it. When we get slammed with election mail, they won't offer to pay us more.

Sprocket

I'm an RCA with POV. I bust my butt as well.

Haven't made evaluation on any of the 9.2 or 8.4 hr eval routes in 3 months. Have NEVER made evaluation on 5..5 hr aux route in 5 1/2 years.

POV's are simply not set up for these package volumes, at least mine isn't. I drive from left, use a mail hawk like it's an extension of my right arm. Never had prob lem before 3 months ago.

Parcels are triple and quadruple what they were.

Will not make truck tomorrow on 8.4 hr route tomorrow without assistance with parcels...even starting an hour early.

Wait....there is no assistance available.

I don't know the solution.

Gotrope

No lawyer will allow you to cherry pick times from a contract without returning the favor. If you want rrecs parcel time- they are going to want rrecs llv DPS time, current driving time and loss of stamp credit. The only way to get genuine improvement in the craft is through arbitration. A well presented, truly impartial arbitration. Otherwise the USPS holds most of the labor cards.
I am getting a bit concerned with everyone working higher volumes that these super efficient carrier times will be used against us, yet again. I'm certain USPS is trying to renegotiate the rrecs parcel times. After all, how fast did carriers move with 60-100 parcels versus current volumes? They are likely beating the rrecs times now. If this mess cannot be resolved we might be better off with hourly. It pains me to say that as I really like the evaluated system overall. It's great to plan a budget knowing what your pay is. Even better to boost your retirement by OT. But the system was never made for current volume corrections. It was never designed for suburban, high density, heavy traffic delivery. I hope a reasonable solution can be found. Otherwise, we are headed to hourly and, " it takes what it takes."
Maybe we could be the new players on the 7 and 1 rule.
Perhaps Dr Mericle could start asking medical doctors about the impacts and results of working under current conditions. No AC, no restrooms, constant repetition, heat fatigue, dehydration, STRESS, late trucks, friendly supervisors, contortions and exertions, public interactions, financial uncertainty and all the other fun things. That should be part of rrecs formula as well.

Last edited:

Joe Reeser

No lawyer will allow you to cherry pick times from a contract without returning the favor. If you want rrecs parcel time- they are going to want rrecs llv DPS time, current driving time and loss of stamp credit. The only way to get genuine improvement in the craft is through arbitration. A well presented, truly impartial arbitration. Otherwise the USPS holds most of the labor cards.
I am getting a bit concerned with everyone working higher volumes that these super efficient carrier times will be used against us, yet again. I'm certain USPS is trying to renegotiate the rrecs parcel times. After all, how fast did carriers move with 60-100 parcels versus current volumes? They are likely beating the rrecs times now. If this mess cannot be resolved we might be better off with hourly. It pains me to say that as I really like the evaluated system overall. It's great to plan a budget knowing what your pay is. Even better to boost your retirement by OT. But the system was never made for current volume corrections. It was never designed for suburban, high density, heavy traffic delivery. I hope a reasonable solution can be found. Otherwise, we are headed to hourly and, " it takes what it takes."
IMHO, the "evaluated system" never actually worked. People were okay with it as long as they believed they were being compensated fairly. The USPS cherry picked and nit picked at standards until people no longer believed they were being compensated fairly.

Just go hourly. It's the only sane thing to do. We really do not need some Rube Goldberg system that it took "The Experts"™ ten or fifteen years to come up with. Union leadership will be unlikely to ever agree.