PMG Megan Brennan announces no National mail count in September.

Havenowgone

Of course! Why would they when they have rural carriers by the you know what. No national counts scheduled for the duration of the contract and no finish line in sight for RRECS. A big win for the USPS and another loss for the NRLCA and a contract approved by a vast majority of voters....go figure?

EthelAnne

I'm thrilled--we lost Amazon back in January, and that was about 1/3 of my parcels. I'm sure we'll get counted next February and take an absolute beating then, but a few more months of a reprieve at least.

Havenowgone

I'm thrilled--we lost Amazon back in January, and that was about 1/3 of my parcels. I'm sure we'll get counted next February and take an absolute beating then, but a few more months of a reprieve at least.
If I understand the contract correctly there are no scheduled counts for the duration of the contract, so you wouldn't have to worry about being counted in Feb.

DB.Cooper

I cant stand all the BS that goes on the fighting for time, etc etc.. I am glad there is no count in Sept.
TOTALLY AGREE!!! Imo... they should work on a system that provides MORE wage stability for rural carries, and get rid of the system that can make us lose thousands of $$$ dollars just based upon a bad count... :unsure:

R5

Just the opposite from you. No Amazon last count. Would love a sept count. Amazon has been off and on at my office for years. Been on the last 6 months. Getting tired of hauling extra parcels for free. Everyday I hope to see the Amazon van on my route. Would make my job much nicer.

btdtret

All -- Probably that is NOT good news for those post offices which got Amazon parcels right after the last count and have not yet seen those parcels go away.

-- And with NO scheduled counts for the 2018-2021 contract, unless your route some how qualifies for a Special Count, going to continue to deliver Amazon for free, like "R5" - probably until RRECS is finally implemented.

-- Not to be a total downer, there is a bright side to not having a count as there are 3 possible out comes from a count:

- the route increases ( yea! )
- the route decreases ( boo! )
- you spend 2 or maybe 3 weeks going through the BS of count, fighting for every second - only to stay the same. ( mostly boo! )

- well, make that 4 out comes: the route increses to overburdened status and gets cut ( boo! )

-- At least with a contract in place, will be eligible for COLA until the expiration of the contract in May 2021. However, no real way of determining whether the next index will relate to a COLA of ZERO or a Nice Big One until the dreaded "numbers" come out.

itsabouttime

I am glad not to have a September count. USPS has to be confident that the savings from the RRECS system will be coming soon and the USPS will save money from not conducting a national count.

Havenowgone

I am glad not to have a September count. USPS has to be confident that the savings from the RRECS system will be coming soon and the USPS will save money from not conducting a national count.
I believe just the opposite. I believe the USPS would call for a Sept count in a minute if they thought they would save money and that they are stalling RRECS because they know it will cost them money.

Skierstmoritz

Just the opposite from you. No Amazon last count. Would love a sept count. Amazon has been off and on at my office for years. Been on the last 6 months. Getting tired of hauling extra parcels for free. Everyday I hope to see the Amazon van on my route. Would make my job much nicer.
Totally bummed out not having a count. We counted last time and Amazon did a vanishing act. Averaged 57 parcels a day. Now, OMG, we are buried in parcels. Not to mention, many are huge. Llv office, 2nd trips are becoming the norm. The po is cleaning up in our area. Must be making bank on us.
Two more years we will be carrying Amazon for free. If we make it. The union really dropped the ball. We should have had a 3 week count since its an odd year.
I'm so discouraged

Last edited:
PMG just announced at the National convention that there will be NO National mail count. Only those routes that fall under the special count criteria below will be counted in September 2019. Under Special Mail Count requirements, there are...

Continue reading...
So does any one know that if you do fall under the special mail count requirement (dps) do they still have to give you 30 day notice?

we knew we would be counting we received DPS three months ago and Monday they started the 98% accuracy review for three day. Funny how our dps is always screwed up and Monday and today it is perfect...games they play!

neciat

TABLETWOBLUES DPS reviews come in two flavors. You got your quality and you got quantity. The one you'll want to do is quantity. That's where the PO must maintain the percentage that was established at the last mail count on the route you serve. If they fail by ANY part of a percetange point, the DPS total from the last count will revert to sector segment which equate to more time. You can look over DPS Review in the Knowledgebase on this very site. If you need any other help or have questions, just holler and I'll do what I can. Just remember this, no one really ever "goes up" from prevailing in a DPS Review, we all "went down" because of DPS.

btdtret

nickiegirl62 -- "So does any one know that if you do fall under the special mail count requirement (dps) do they still have to give you 30 day notice?"

-- For no, I'll go with "no" -- once you meet the requirements for a Special Count as specified in Article 9.2.C.11, manglement will have to arrange for a Special Count.

-- Sorry, "Rt2mailman", I'll disagree as one certainly could qualify for a Special Count once the 30-Day Notice time frame has passed. Got a reference?

-- Bonus material:

-- Section 525.11 of the M-38 ( as well as Mail Count Guides ) -- in part: Regardless of the type of mail count, a joint ( how refreshing ) conference MUST be held at least 15 days prior to the beginning of the mail count.

-- Something from a Delphi poster from 2014: "AUX routes are no longer part of the special count criteria, and the lack of a precount meeting only says that mgmt can't change office procedures before count."

-- The M-38 ( Management of Rural Delivery Services ) provides additional reasons for conducting a Special Count.

- Substantial route adjustments involving service change of four hours or more.
- Routes changed by the addition or deletion of territory as a result of a consolidation.
- When unusual circumstances have negated the validity of the annual count ( i.e., implementation of CMU, etc. )

-- Recently getting DPS Letters in the office will probably result in a Special Count. Anyone get DPS Flats - recently or ever?

-- Not that it matters any more, but ran across part of the 2006-2010 contract ( and only the 2006-2010 contract ) that dealt with counts, but seems to have been deleted from further contracts. Back then it was Article 9.2.C.3.b:

Whenever a carrier represents that certain UNUSUAL conditions or special services [ such as Amazon parcels ] were not reflected in the latest evaluation, the evaluated time may be adjusted by an appropriate allowance as determined by the Employer. Such additional allowance may be authorized only when the carrier's actual work time exceeds the current evaluated time for the route. ( IMHO -- some one knew Amazon parcels were coming!! )

-- While on the subject, might as well get rid of MOU #1.

"we knew we would be counting we received DPS three months ago and Monday they started the 98% accuracy review for three day. Funny how our dps is always screwed up and Monday and today it is perfect...games they play! "

-- And a month or so after count, when you have documentation on how nice DPS can be, request a Formal Review of either Quaility or Quantity. Searching for "review" in the KNOWLEDGEBASE Section should provide you with info and forms for a Formal Review.

-- Word of caution regarding Formal Reviews. If the review fails, the route could go up ( blank ) hours. So if the route is already a mid-K route, additional hours from a failed review could put the route into true overburdened status leading to the route being cut. Basically a roll of the dice.