POV & DPS to the street question

Karen11

Hi all, so wondering how carriers that have POV and take their DPS to the street mark their packages. I am a 45K, heavy pkg route. What do you do if there is not a flat for that address? Putting a marker in the case with no attached address would seriously mess me up and I don’t have time to write on a sticky note on 60+ markers. With all this Amazon there has to be an easier way.

btdtret

Karen11 -- Try putting numbers on your markers and the corresponding marker number on the parcel.

-- Some carriers have used different colored markers - such as: white for large parcels, blue for small parcels, red for items needing a signature and yellow for certified items.

Karen11

Yeah, I do use certain colors for big pkgs -vs- small but I get so many pkgs if I was to write down or mark on all my pkgs it would take up any of the time I’m saving on DPS to the street. If you put your pkg markers right in the trays all that riffle time would take forever. I’m starting to think the option of taking it to the street a no go for me because I just get to many pkgs. I use anywhere from 60-100 pkg markers per day. 😒

Voglio-il mio

Mark your large packages and tray your smalls in route sequence without markers, just look up occasionally to see who will get next delivery. I'm a package heavy route also and will have up to 6 of the deep letter trays full of small packages along with many large packages daily, it works for me!

Gotrope

Pull down vertical, like city, but turn each address 90 degrees. One standing verticle, one horizontal, one verticle, one horizontal. That way if you only have a package marker for the address it will be the only thing in that direction.

Before Amazon started doing some of their own delivery here, most rts started carrying like city and not casing DPS. We were averaging 300-400 package scans a day and way more at Christmas time. It did save time.

Last edited:

Karen11

Pull down vertical, like city, but turn each address 90 degrees. One standing verticle, one horizontal, one verticle, one horizontal. That way if you only have a package marker for the address it will be the only thing in that direction.

Before Amazon started doing some of their own delivery here, most rts started carrying like city and not casing DPS. We were averaging 300-400 package scans a day and way more at Christmas time. It did save time.

Karen11

WOW ok so this sounds like something I could do but have never seen city pull down as we are an all rural office. Right now i taco and pull down into city’s trays, cross/crossing my mail. What pulling vertical? Is that like cross/crossing the flats with the pkg markers then putting the smalls in a separate tray?

Karen11

Mark your large packages and tray your smalls in route sequence without markers, just look up occasionally to see who will get next delivery. I'm a package heavy route also and will have up to 6 of the deep letter trays full of small packages along with many large packages daily, it works for me!
Thank you! I might try this.

Gotrope

Vertical casing is not "taco" just pull the mail out of the case and stand it against prior mail in the tray. The same as DPS is machine sorted into long trays. You can fold in some chunks if you need too. Easy to lose the scan, though.

Qtpa2t

Hey guys. We don't have city carriers so I have no idea how they pull down. I work in a very small office with 4 routes (all rural) and I have the only K route...all other routes are H. AND WE ALL HAVE LLV'S THANK GOODNESS! I get the most of everything so of course I am always the last one back. I've been an RCA for almost 2 years and my regular was injured so I've been working constantly. The regular who trained me writes on every package (big or small, not cased) uses parcel markers for every package (big or small, not cased) and cases everything that will fit in the case. I pull down beginning to end in bundles by streets and then I rubberband the bundle. When on the street I pull the table as close as possible and put the bundle in a 1/2 tray with part of the 1/2 tray resting on the table and the other half resting on my left knee. I'm trying to find ways to make things go faster for me. I know the route very well, to the point I don't have to use parcel markers. I put my smalls in delivery sequence in bins under my table and I put the next package on the floor next to my left foot. I do write the address on the tops of my larger parcels with a red sharpie so I can see the address with a glance back. I also arrange those in delivery sequence in bins in the back and just pull the tray I'm working out of as close as possible behind me. I only case DPS occasionally but I have nothing to help me distinguish between addresses which means when I get to the street I'm constantly flipping through mail that has already been sorted at the office. I knew there was a way to separate each address and I believe the horizontal-vertical method will do it for me! I'm going to try it out tomorrow! Hoping it will work even with me rubberbanding my bundles. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Sandygirl

You can try using load function n the scanner just for the small packages into trays in the correct order without even thingking about , I till say section 1 put it in a tray and section 2 another tray then section 3 in another tray, then you can arrange them quickly in a more accurate order because packages in tray 1 can be quickly changed to route order exactly and on and on. Also at the end of each street or when leaving the area check package lookahead to see if you have missed any....

Qtpa2t

You can try using load function n the scanner just for the small packages into trays in the correct order without even thingking about , I till say section 1 put it in a tray and section 2 another tray then section 3 in another tray, then you can arrange them quickly in a more accurate order because packages in tray 1 can be quickly changed to route order exactly and on and on. Also at the end of each street or when leaving the area check package lookahead to see if you have missed any....
That's how I sort my small packages before I load them. I put all of section one in a tray, section 2 in a tray, etc. and then sort each tray in route order before I load. I haven't been taught how to use look ahead but I haven't had to because I haven't missed any yet. I keep my next delivery package next to my foot.

Gotrope

It's not the best, but does show a carrier pulling down. You would just Cris cross the addresses. Also shows vehicle set-up. A tray of random, office cased and a tray of automated.

Morty

Case flat smalls. When going thru small pkg, have a tub per case row. Sort per row. 4 rows, 4 tubs. Mark when at case.

For bigs: You can use post it notes and write down the # as you sort. Go back to case and mark from your list.

If you trust pkg lookahead, do this: if you have 3 cases and 5 rows; each case will be A B C and row 1-5. Pkg for 2A, 3C, 1B ect, use a sharpie to mark, organize in your car, and use pkg lookahead.

You can work into unmarked. Maybe start row 1 unmarked. Try that for 2 weeks, then add row 2 ect.

Sattech200

Have this system working pretty good.

Case all my littles so I don't have to deal with them on the route. Don't care if they'll fit in a box or not, to much to remember. Only care if they fit in a tray. (And I was taught to use the hard plastic waffle trays, can really 'packed' them full.) I also have one sitting in my lap that I deliver from but mail is turned sideways so I have DPs on left and case mail on right side of tray.

Because my memory really sucks I came up with a pretty good solution. I have the entire route in excell and printed on one sheet along with case location (l6, c3, r2, etc...) If I flip the sheet over I have the route done alphabetically to help locate precisely in the case. (This might take me an evening to create but I can go on any route and have a perfect lineup of packages just as fast as a route I know well.)

So as I pull big packages and load on steel i just place a mark next to its location on the one sheet.
When I'm done I number each check mark.

When I offload to the car I write the corresponding number next to the label for easy identification. Im not handling packages twice like I see everyone else doing (line up in case then load back on steel) and i can do this quicker then wrighting a list out.

Downside is I print out a sheet for each day although you could resuse the sheet and use different color marker if u wanted to.
To me its well worth it though. To have my cheat sheet and a list of packages right in front of me on the dash. No need to mark them at all.

Skierstmoritz

Hey guys. We don't have city carriers so I have no idea how they pull down. I work in a very small office with 4 routes (all rural) and I have the only K route...all other routes are H. AND WE ALL HAVE LLV'S THANK GOODNESS! I get the most of everything so of course I am always the last one back. I've been an RCA for almost 2 years and my regular was injured so I've been working constantly. The regular who trained me writes on every package (big or small, not cased) uses parcel markers for every package (big or small, not cased) and cases everything that will fit in the case. I pull down beginning to end in bundles by streets and then I rubberband the bundle. When on the street I pull the table as close as possible and put the bundle in a 1/2 tray with part of the 1/2 tray resting on the table and the other half resting on my left knee. I'm trying to find ways to make things go faster for me. I know the route very well, to the point I don't have to use parcel markers. I put my smalls in delivery sequence in bins under my table and I put the next package on the floor next to my left foot. I do write the address on the tops of my larger parcels with a red sharpie so I can see the address with a glance back. I also arrange those in delivery sequence in bins in the back and just pull the tray I'm working out of as close as possible behind me. I only case DPS occasionally but I have nothing to help me distinguish between addresses which means when I get to the street I'm constantly flipping through mail that has already been sorted at the office. I knew there was a way to separate each address and I believe the horizontal-vertical method will do it for me! I'm going to try it out tomorrow! Hoping it will work even with me rubberbanding my bundles. Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Are you designation 74 now? Since you have been working the route for such a lengthy time, you should be earning vacation time and sick leave retroactive to when you started fulltime on the route.

Karen11

Case flat smalls. When going thru small pkg, have a tub per case row. Sort per row. 4 rows, 4 tubs. Mark when at case.

For bigs: You can use post it notes and write down the # as you sort. Go back to case and mark from your list.

If you trust pkg lookahead, do this: if you have 3 cases and 5 rows; each case will be A B C and row 1-5. Pkg for 2A, 3C, 1B ect, use a sharpie to mark, organize in your car, and use pkg lookahead.

You can work into unmarked. Maybe start row 1 unmarked. Try that for 2 weeks, then add row 2 ect.
No way I will write the row and case on all my pkgs, to rca’s do this and it takes them an hour to mark pkgs. Look ahead is a joke 20% are misdeliverd to other towns.

Morty

Ive done several different ways. My current way is:

Mark smalls 1 color, take a post it note and write down the list of lg pkg, mark those.

I use my post it to keep track of my letters/flats/scans weather and date. This way, i have records to refute the liars.

Im out of the office before the baby aux. Today my former city carrier PM was trying to coach the aux carrier in the no marking technique: case smalls, reverse mail as a marker for bigs.

Sandygirl

Ive done several different ways. My current way is:

Mark smalls 1 color, take a post it note and write down the list of lg pkg, mark those.

I use my post it to keep track of my letters/flats/scans weather and date. This way, i have records to refute the liars.

Im out of the office before the baby aux. Today my former city carrier PM was trying to coach the aux carrier in the no marking technique: case smalls, reverse mail as a marker for bigs.
Well I am gonna try that tomorrow write list of big packages and then case markers then use the list on the delivery Rt to refer to - awesome !