POV vs LLV routes at new office

Blondie13

Hello all,
So I just transferred from a mostly all LLV area to a POV/LLV district.
While I was working out the transfer, I made it very clear that I only had my motorcycle and haven't ever even owned a car, and they basically told me "tough shit." So, when I moved down here I bought a 2002 Jeep under the assumption that I'd be driving it about 50% of the time, as they reassured me that they had plenty of LLV routes without subs that were frequently open.

***Fast forward about 2 moths***

They "switched" my supposed primary route from an LLV route with a regular who takes a lot of time off (Only a verbal agreement, no official paperwork), to an LLV route with a regular who is on the OTDL, so he works 6 days/week and I've done my primary twice the entire time I've been here.
In fact, his first words to me on my first day at the new office were "Hi, I'm _____. You're supposed to be my sub but I need the money so you're not going to get any hours on my route. Sorry."
Since then, management has basically blown me off about choosing routes on the matrix and I've been scheduled 100% on POV routes (which, apart from being incredibly unsafe, unorganized and hard to deliver) I don't really mind.... Other than the fact that this office seems to have a track record of getting someone with a running, working POV and then scheduling them on POV routes until they run their car into the ground; at which point they then take them off the schedule for weeks at a time )And hope the carrier will grow a money tree in their backyard, or the POV will fix itself.)

Their reason for doing this is that only a handful of RCAs in the office have POVs, which seems rather odd to me. I thought it was mandatory in these sorts of offices. If not, is it a matter of seniority? The matrix? What? Oh, and they supply some RCAs with LLVs on POV routes but not others. I still haven't been able to figure out a pattern in their thinking process.
I tried talking to my supervisor about it earlier today because my Jeep is already starting to act up a bit, and told him I never signed up to be the go-to POV person in the office.
His response was "well, you get EMA!"
to which I replied "Yeah, but EMA isn't going to cover a new transmission when this Jeep eventually gets run into the ground because I'm driving it on a route 6 days/week for months on end."
He didn't have anything to say about that.

What can I do about this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

btdtret

Blondie13 -- To cut through the BS, get in touch with your Assistant District Representative.

-- A good ADR will be interested on time off with no paper work to show for it as well as switching your route.

-- Unfortunately you belong to the USPS, so manglement can.....

"Oh, and they supply some RCAs with LLVs on POV routes but not others. "

-- Sounds like "disparate" treatment; something to file on -- and upsetting the applecart will get you notice, but not in a good way.

Sandygirl

Hello all,
While I was working out the transfer, I made it very clear that I only had my motorcycle and haven't ever even owned a car, and they basically told me "tough shit." So, when I moved down here I bought a 2002 Jeep under the assumption that I'd be driving it about 50% of the time, as they reassured me that they had plenty of LLV routes without subs that were frequently open.

They "switched" my supposed primary route from an LLV route with a regular who takes a lot of time off (Only a verbal agreement, no official paperwork), to an LLV route with a regular who is on the OTDL, so he works 6 days/week and I've done my primary twice the entire time I've been here.
In fact, his first words to me on my first day at the new office were "Hi, I'm _____. You're supposed to be my sub but I need the money so you're not going to get any hours on my route. Sorry."
Since then, management has basically blown me off about choosing routes on the matrix and I've been scheduled 100% on POV routes (which, apart from being incredibly unsafe, unorganized and hard to deliver) I don't really mind.... Other than the fact that this office seems to have a track record of getting someone with a running, working POV and then scheduling them on POV routes until they run their car into the ground; at which point they then take them off the schedule for weeks at a time )And hope the carrier will grow a money tree in their backyard, or the POV will fix itself.)

Their reason for doing this is that only a handful of RCAs in the office have POVs, which seems rather odd to me. I thought it was mandatory in these sorts of offices. If not, is it a matter of seniority? The matrix? What? Oh, and they supply some RCAs with LLVs on POV routes but not others. I still haven't been able to figure out a pattern in their thinking process.
I tried talking to my supervisor about it earlier today because my Jeep is already starting to act up a bit, and told him I never signed up to be the go-to POV person in the office.
to which I replied "Yeah, but EMA isn't going to cover a new transmission when this Jeep eventually gets run into the ground because I'm driving it on a route 6 days/week for months on end."

Honestly, sincerely honestly, get a spare vehicle.

DB.Cooper

Peeps who have to it, understand that maintaining a POV for a rural route is one of the most difficult and stressful parts of our job... POV breakdowns are a BIG stressor... I feel your pain... 🙄

LOL... CarGurus popped an ad on the top of this thread... :unsure:

Last edited:

Sandygirl

You can barely afford one vehicle and your response is to get a spare???? WOW
I guess its just different in the deep south, everyone in our rural office has two vehicles.... I was not being " WOW" like at all. That is where the sincerity came in. In my area of the country its a given to have a spare. 😔

gerl2

I guess its just different in the deep south, everyone in our rural office has two vehicles.... I was not being " WOW" like at all. That is where the sincerity came in. In my area of the country its a given to have a spare. 😔
Sorry sad that so much is different in what area you are in, but I am certain they can not force you to have two vehicles.

Blondie13

I'm not about to start hoarding vehicles in my front yard like so many of my neighbors... especially since I never wanted my current vehicle to begin with.

And call me old fashioned, but the whole purpose of employment is to MAKE money, not sink a whole bucket of money into your job.- and so far getting settled into this office has started eating into my college money fund, which doesn't make me a very happy camper.

Coming from my last district, the whole concept of POVs seems ridiculous to me, but I was willing to give it a shot.
Give them an inch and they take a mile...

csparks

I think your situation is just another example of the crisis the PO has dug themselves into with all these money-saving desperation tactics. That is, paying RCAs so little, overworking people, etc.

My regular used to have a spare vehicle ready most of the time. Had to due to unreliable subs. Now, I kinda take up the slack, so no one in our office has a reliable spare. Maybe something to go for 1-2 days, but that's about it.

Just like with the other problems the PO has created due to severe money shortages. It has led to manpower shortages and turnover, which creates even greater hiring and training costs. The only way out I can see is to start shopping POs within driving distance to home. See if you can find a PM that needs LLV subs?

Oi veh.

Staff member
I have a spare. Not pretty, not nice, but hey. I don't have to burn annual. I keep it under a cover so as not to offend the neighbors.

Oh wait. I live in the country...the cows don't mind. ;)

I also have a true rural route, not a suburban/urban. Mine would eat an LLV up in a hot second.

Rt2mailman

The first thing you have to do is contact your ADR. So you don't have to stick your neck out, ask your Steward to file a class-action grievance because the Matrix is not being used nor followed. No Rca can be "taken" off their primary route by anyone, when it's open(no RDWL carrier) you work it, not a different route. It would be my contention that you are owed a transmission because the USPS worked you so many days off your primary that it burned your transmission up, when you could have been on your proper route, not using your vehicle, had the matrix been followed properly and you weren't moved from your original primary. You could act like the steward came to you about the class action grievance, and You were told about how you could file about the primary that way the "heat" is off you and "blamed" on the steward.

Tammy

Hello all,

If you are still assigned to the primary form 50 to the llv route they can not make you use your pov for any route and you can force them to provide an llv for any route you work. If I have time later I will look for the documentation it's there you just have to dig a little

Windindaface

This issue will not be a problem in 20 years. As the New contract award of NGDV is awarded at the production/ purchase pace of 12000 units at a time. The 60 year old LLV will be available to all Rural routes.

@RDruckus .. The program is a plug and play when a non LLV trained operator runs an LLV run in POV.

Blondie13

The main problem I have with this situation is that I don't even have ONE DAY of reprieve during the week.
Before I transfered and had my postmaster release me from my office, the new office had told me I'd be on a certain route; sometime during the week it took me to drive here, they decided to put me on a route with a regular who works 6 days/week instead.

If they had divulged that before hand, I never would have agreed to transfer into this office, and would have gone with one of the other 5 offices that wanted to hire me for 3 days/week and then loaned myself out of POV routes the other 2-3 days during the week.

Someone in management thought they were being sneaky and probably thought I wouldn't notice?
Told my supervisor today that if my primary wasn't switched in a month I'm going to resign- that seemed to get his attention, so we'll see.

Rcflyn

The main problem I have with this situation is that I don't even have ONE DAY of reprieve during the week.
Before I transfered and had my postmaster release me from my office, the new office had told me I'd be on a certain route; sometime during the week it took me to drive here, they decided to put me on a route with a regular who works 6 days/week instead.

If they had divulged that before hand, I never would have agreed to transfer into this office, and would have gone with one of the other 5 offices that wanted to hire me for 3 days/week and then loaned myself out of POV routes the other 2-3 days during the week.

Someone in management thought they were being sneaky and probably thought I wouldn't notice?
Told my supervisor today that if my primary wasn't switched in a month I'm going to resign- that seemed to get his attention, so we'll see.
Why resign? Just go to 1 of the other 5 offices..... or am I missing something, that says you MUST stay where you transferred to????