• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Private Road Conditions for delivery of parcel

mwellis32

I need the form to give to customer to repair road and remove trash in driveway to get parcel delivery!! I've got 2 flat tires and lost muffler at this place!

mwellis32 et al -- "I need the form to give to customer to repair road and remove trash in driveway to get parcel delivery!! I've got 2 flat tires and lost muffler at this place!"

-- Be sure to talk pictures to show manglement.

-- Should determine who is responsible for maintaining the roadway -- is it the customer or the village, town, or county?

-- Page 2 of the PO-603, Section 131.1 Mailbox and Road Maintenance.

- PS Form 4024, Request to Repair Roads
- PS Form 4056, Your Mailbox Needs Attention

-- Chapter 4 of the M-38 ( Management of Rural Delivery Services ) deals with Extensions of Rural Routes.

- Section 431 deals with Roads. In part: Roads generally should be pubic, must be maintained, and must be passable for carrier vehicles on a year-round basis.

-- Section 652.331 of the Postal Operations Manual ( POM ) has the same wording as the M-38's Section 431.

-- Page 3 of the PO-603 - Section 132.2 -- Complete Service. Use ingenuity and knowledge of local roads to provide as complete service as possible when portions of the route cannot be traveled with the vehicle ordinarily used. However, you are NOT REQUIRED to provide service if it would incur EXCESSIVE EXPENSE, JEOPARDIZE YOUR SAFETY, or require undue physical strain ( such as may be encountered in changing a tire? ).

-- Why not submit the bill for at least the muffler damage to manglement and/or the customer.

-- Good luck.

You don't need to "Do" anything. That includes going down that road to deliver parcels, or more likely certifieds (due to him being so lazy to clean up his driveway he most likely gets plenty of those from the laziness in other parts of his life). When, and if, that customer/s get around to complaining about not getting parcels/signature items delivered, that is when you show your supervisor the pictures that Btdret wisely advised you to take.

I need the form to give to customer to repair road and remove trash in driveway to get parcel delivery!! I've got 2 flat tires and lost muffler at this place!

Is this road part of your line of travel? Or is it the private road off your line of travel to the customer's house? If it's effectively the customer's driveway/private road that you only travel if you have a parcel that does not fit in mailbox or is signature required, then simple answer is don't go. If driveway is unsafe, customer gets to pick up what can't be delivered to his mailbox at the PO.

Not part of line of travel. It's to deliver Amazon on my dime. Private road and this driveway is rutted out. Just throws trash out in driveway. The house looks abandoned. I feel a little sorry for the guy in a wheel chair but does have a daughter, After the fist couple of flat tires I took the liberty of leaving parcels with a neighbor who didn't mind. Just left a parcel Friday at neighbors and this guy calls PO and I have a note on my case saying he no longer wants parcel left with neighbor to bring it to his place. No Way! I slipped and fell on a boulder the last parcel I lugged up the 80 foot driveway.

Last edited:
There is a good reason that the guy is in a wheelchair, do you wish to be in one also? Ask your pm to prove to you that this is a safe place to make a delivery, because you don't believe it is. Any time we believe something is unsafe, or illegal we don't have to follow a manager's direct order until the order is proven to be safe and legal.

mwellis32 -- " I feel a little sorry for the guy in a wheel chair but does have a daughter,.."

-- Does this person have "Hardship Delivery" paper work on file at the post office?

-- POM's Section 631.42 -- Hardship Cases

-- DMM - Section 508

-- Step 4 ( H-11 ) aka The Fritsch Letter ( from 1987 )

"Not part of line of travel."

-- Is the mail box on the line of travel?

-- Is the house within 1/2 mile from the line of travel?

-- If beyond, have the PM add the mileage to your route, pay you for the distance beyond 1/2 mile, or have the PM tell the customer ( or daughter ) to come to the post office to get large parcels.

-- As noted previously, private roads have to be "passable" year round for service.

" I slipped and fell on a boulder the last parcel I lugged up the 80 foot driveway. "

-- Did you report the fall to manglement when you got back to the office?

Back