• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

proper use of sick leave

New post master told me I should not have used sick leave for dr appointment,current and in the past.I should have known to use FMLA and banked all sick leave.Is this accurate?

They don’t want you to use sick leave, but you earned it. If you have a doctors appointment, put in a leave slip. The FMLA comes in when you need time off for you or your family. Your doctor fills out paperwork. They still pay you with your sick leave, but it helps to protect you from the harassment. I am not sure where he gets the banking, as far as I know the only time it is banked is when you don’t use it.

also, please use sick leave when you are sick... i hate people that think coming to work and infecting the office is okay. the best thing to take for a bad cough or a cold, is a couple of days off.

That would be nice if mgmt didn’t harass you for being out with or without a Dr note. Mgmt expects you to know that you’re going to be sick the next day so go ahead & fill out a 3971. Not me. I’ll likely feel a little under that afternoon but feel much better in the morning ?

New post master told me I should not have used sick leave for dr appointment,current and in the past.I should have known to use FMLA and banked all sick leave.Is this accurate?

PM is incorrect. FMLA is not actual leave. You still have to use SL, AL, or LWOP. It’s there to cover our business. If the Dr appt was just a 1-time deal, it likely would not qualify for FMLA. If it’s for an ongoing issue, definitely file for FMLA coverage.

That would be nice if mgmt didn’t harass you for being out with or without a Dr note. Mgmt expects you to know that you’re going to be sick the next day so go ahead & fill out a 3971. Not me. I’ll likely feel a little under that afternoon but feel much better in the morning ?
yeah, i've noticed that sometimes just leaving the office at night, makes me feel better. in my younger days, working construction, there were times that it felt light you could hardly move, when you were getting off work. then there was what was known as sunset recovery, and you felt fine going out drinking for the night.

From someone with 120+ SL days on the books. I'll pass on drinking managements Kool Aid of please schedule all sick leave in advance. Please call me into the office for abuse of SL when I do call in.

I also have no problem sharing ( it's the mantra taught ) any current Koodie with others because more than likely your precious little snot bubble infected you and then infected me.

Your PM is crazy lol. Make the appointment, call the 800 # morning of, and turn off your phone.

Hopefully I don't walk into a mess tomorrow. I called the 800# for my sick kid today.

notdeadyet -- "New post master told me I should not have used sick leave for dr appointment,current and in the past.I should have known to use FMLA and banked all sick leave.Is this accurate? "

"While is may seem the PM is looking out for your best interests, don't count on it.

-- FMLA is for:

- a SERIOUS health condition that keeps you from doing your job.

- you need to care for a sick child, spouse, or parent with a SERIOUS health condition

-- The US Department of Commerce take on FMLA:

- you invoke your entitlement to FMLA, your supervisor MUST approve leave without pay ( LWOP ) for you ( or substituted leave ) and you are guaranteed the time off.

-- Best bet is your PM prefers you use LWOP rather than Sick Leave because:

- You get paid when using Sick Leave, but not when using LWOP.
- District takes notice of Sick Leave usage via reports by local manglement. Your PM would prefer to stay off off District's radar.

The new mantra is....
If you need to go to the doctor, schedule before / after your tour or better still on your day off.

Sick leave should be banked in the event you have a serious illness or hospitalization you can use it.

More than 3 days of sick and you will need a doctors note stating nature of illness. Expect that you will have a discussion of being regular in attendance.

Back