Question about Back Pay if I retire before a new contract is done?

Kcarrier

Ok If I retire before a new contract is done will I get back pay for the last 14 months if we get a pay raise in the new contract? Cough Cough! Will they go back and figure this new rate into my retirement high 3 and what about SS will they have to redo my figures there too! Or are you just S out of luck! Kind of makes me wonder if I should hold off past July if new contract isn't done before I decide to go!

btdtret

Kcarrier -- "Ok If I retire before a new contract is done will I get back pay for the last 14 months if we get a pay raise in the new contract? "

-- Do not plan on a retroactive pay raise. Since the 1995-1999 contract - only one retroactive pay increase ( NOV 2015 )

-- Besides the new contract ( if and when implemented ) will most likely be based upon the pay schedule in place as of 03 MARCH 2018.

-- The 2015-2018 wages increases for November of 2015, 2016, and 2017 were all based upon the 21 MARCH 2015 salary schedule.

" Kind of makes me wonder if I should hold off past July if new contract isn't done before I decide to go! "

-- Your body will tell you when it is time to go!!

Kcarrier

Kcarrier -- "Ok If I retire before a new contract is done will I get back pay for the last 14 months if we get a pay raise in the new contract? "

-- Do not plan on a retroactive pay raise. Since the 1995-1999 contract - only one retroactive pay increase ( NOV 2015 )

-- Besides the new contract ( if and when implemented ) will most likely be based upon the pay schedule in place as of 03 MARCH 2018.

-- The 2015-2018 wages increases for November of 2015, 2016, and 2017 were all based upon the 21 MARCH 2015 salary schedule.

" Kind of makes me wonder if I should hold off past July if new contract isn't done before I decide to go! "

-- Your body will tell you when it is time to go!!
My Body told me it was time to go when I hit 30 years in but 4 of those sub years didnt count so here I am 4 years later waiting on union for a year to see what we get if we ever get a new contract!

wfillbra

Its already Mid May and no contract or noise of it. If the wheels aren't turning now, there won't be a contract before the end of July. Presentation and ratification process will take that long if they started today.
Once you retire, your identity switches to OPM-not USPS. No-do not hope for back pay. While that would be nice, the impact it would have on your high 3 calculation will be minimal unless the USPS gives out about 5% a year.
If you want to know, go to OPM.gov and run your numbers on the retirement calculator. Assume in the range of a 1 % increase to your annual salary for the last 14 months and see how it compares to your current estimate. You could also try 2% just in case the USPS is gracious (Ha Ha) and run the numbers.
Good Luck!!!

Shafted

Retire according to your current plans. True to form, this craft will be waiting for the NRLCA, and the USPS to do the right thing, or at the very least (ANYTHING) , forever. They are like toddlers stalling at bedtime. Charlie Brown sat out continuously waiting for the great pumpkin firmly believing it would come. If you can go, just go. The USPS is currently nothing more than a case of the clowns running the circus.

Charlie Brown

Retire according to your current plans. True to form, this craft will be waiting for the NRLCA, and the USPS to do the right thing, or at the very least (ANYTHING) , forever. They are like toddlers stalling at bedtime. Charlie Brown sat out continuously waiting for the great pumpkin firmly believing it would come. If you can go, just go. The USPS is currently nothing more than a case of the clowns running the circus.
But the Great Pumpkin is real, you'll see. I know he'll come this year.

Charlie Brown

Okay to answer the OP's question. Yes I believe you will get any back pay awarded if you retire. I retired end of May 2016 and did get some back pay but don't remember how much or what it was for. (I think it was for the period from May 2015 contract end date and when I retired may 2016) I remember it because they even made a TSP deposit which went into a new TSP account because I had already transferred all my TSP money to a mutual fund IRA.

Punkie5

Keystone coppers running the show!🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡