• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

question about going full time..sick leave

johnwayne

hopefully going full time sometime between mar-july. ive been doing aux route for four years. have accumlated 100+ hours of sick leave, and another 50 of vacation time. will that transfer to the new job, will i get paid for it, or should i use it before i lose it?

johnwayne -- "hopefully going full time sometime between mar-july. ive been doing aux route for four years. have accumlated 100+ hours of sick leave, and another 50 of vacation time. will that transfer to the new job, will i get paid for it, or should i use it before i lose it? "

-- The sick leave will just carry over when you make regular. Usually it will be carried on the "books" for three years, even though it might not show up on your pay stub. ( keep all the stubs - literally forever )

-- The 50 hours of vacation time ( aka annual leave ) might be tricky.

-- If you are able to stay an AUX carrier until you become a regular, there is no break in your leave-earning status, so those 50 hours of annual leave will just carry over.

-- If manglement finds a way to take you off the AUX, hence break your leave-earning status, you will be paid a lump sum for the 50 hours.

-- It will be up to you to do what ever it takes to stay on the AUX until you become a regular. For example, you work the AUX through a Friday and become a regular the next day - a Saturday. ( not that manglement would try something that underhanded )

-- Whether to use or burn sick leave before retiring ( really looking ahead in your case ) will generate quite a debate, with both sides having merits.

-- A lot will depend on your general health as your career winds down as well as family medical history.

-- Besides, any unused sick leave can be converted to extend your service time. ( but not your retirement computation date ). The OPM does things a bit differently when converting sick leave into additional service. To the OPM, 6 hours equal a day. Some time down the line, Google "sick leave conversion chart". FERS retirees get 100% of their sick leave converted. ( used to be 50% prior to 01 JAN 2014 )

It's been awhile sine I ran an AUX. When did it change to hrs rather than days? Isn't there an adjustment made in days earned from running an AUX to a REG route? If I recall correctly the time amassed on an AUX of SL/AL was in days not hours reflecting the EVAL of the AUX.

Just saying if a carrier ran an AUX Evaled at 4 hrs per day and amassed X days of AL and SL and won a 40 EVAL REG without a break in service. Aren't those days earned on AUX converted to reflect the hrs of the new route? Find it hard to believe the MACHINE would let a day earned on an AUX carry over to a REG route bid win. If so a bonus to the winner and have a chicken dinner on a day paid by them.

When did it change to hrs rather than days?
When you have an aux route, your leave time appears on your pay stub in days, but you use them in hours. Your example of a 4-hour aux would use up half of an earned AL day when you take off, because a day equals 8 hours. When you go regular, no conversion is necessary because it's already in days. If you worked an aux route before going regular, you are probably carrying partial days of AL/SL that will stay with you until you retire because you don't take time off in hours anymore.

It's been awhile sine I ran an AUX. When did it change to hrs rather than days? Isn't there an adjustment made in days earned from running an AUX to a REG route? If I recall correctly the time amassed on an AUX of SL/AL was in days not hours reflecting the EVAL of the AUX.

Just saying if a carrier ran an AUX Evaled at 4 hrs per day and amassed X days of AL and SL and won a 40 EVAL REG without a break in service. Aren't those days earned on AUX converted to reflect the hrs of the new route? Find it hard to believe the MACHINE would let a day earned on an AUX carry over to a REG route bid win. If so a bonus to the winner and have a chicken dinner on a day paid by them.
Its still in days (8 hours=1.0), but when you're a leave earning RCA on an aux you can take it in blocks of less than 8 hours to match the evaluation of your aux route. Either johnwayne's paystub reads that he has 6.25 annual days.... or he's on an aux this is almost a 42H and hasn't taken any days off in the last 4 years... in which case his paystub reads 50.0 annual... or 400 hours... considering he has double the amount of sick leave though I'd assume its the former

Its still in days (8 hours=1.0), but when you're a leave earning RCA on an aux you can take it in blocks of less than 8 hours to match the evaluation of your aux route. Either johnwayne's paystub reads that he has 6.25 annual days.... or he's on an aux this is almost a 42H and hasn't taken any days off in the last 4 years... in which case his paystub reads 50.0 annual... or 400 hours... considering he has double the amount of sick leave though I'd assume its the former

i havent taken a lot of days off in the last 5 years. but a few. todays pay stub reads 8.37 al and 13.62 sick leave. I was hoping to get paid out when i converted to regular. And use the money towards a nice rhd vehicle.

Back