Question about reasons a PM can deny a mutual transfer

asher78

I finally found someone to do a mutual transfer with. As of about 6 months ago, PM said there were no reasons I personally would have a transfer denied by another office. Yesterday he hinted that another PM may not take me due to unscheduled absences. I’ve had one in the past year and I have a dr not from the Er for it. I had a few a year or two ago due to a messed up shoulder/arm which I also had dr notes for, but hr refused my Fmla. I did get a note in my file for that (which is bull considering), but it’s long gone now.

All of that to say, am I allowed to see my personnel file to see what’s in there to see if I’m spinning my wheels trying to get a transfer? I know that’s one of the reasons they can deny you.

The only reason he brought that up to begin with is because the postmaster of one of the ladies in the transfer told him she’s got a bad attendance record so he’s waiting to see her official paperwork. Then he popped off that the other office may not want to take me due to mine either. I was confused since previously he said there was no problems and I asked if sick and vaca time count against you and he said no unscheduled absences.

I’m soooo close to filing disparate treatment since they look the other way when the druggies and drunks call in unscheduled, but people with true medical emergencies get spanked. Hopefully I can just get out of this office and stay under the radar until I can afford to quit once my kids are grown.

Twingrlie

I finally found someone to do a mutual transfer with. As of about 6 months ago, PM said there were no reasons I personally would have a transfer denied by another office. Yesterday he hinted that another PM may not take me due to unscheduled absences. I’ve had one in the past year and I have a dr not from the Er for it. I had a few a year or two ago due to a messed up shoulder/arm which I also had dr notes for, but hr refused my Fmla. I did get a note in my file for that (which is bull considering), but it’s long gone now.

All of that to say, am I allowed to see my personnel file to see what’s in there to see if I’m spinning my wheels trying to get a transfer? I know that’s one of the reasons they can deny you.

The only reason he brought that up to begin with is because the postmaster of one of the ladies in the transfer told him she’s got a bad attendance record so he’s waiting to see her official paperwork. Then he popped off that the other office may not want to take me due to mine either. I was confused since previously he said there was no problems and I asked if sick and vaca time count against you and he said no unscheduled absences.

I’m soooo close to filing disparate treatment since they look the other way when the druggies and drunks call in unscheduled, but people with true medical emergencies get spanked. Hopefully I can just get out of this office and stay under the radar until I can afford to quit once my kids are grown.
How do you know they look the other way when other people call in? A lot of carriers think it’s disparate treatment but at the end of the day, you don’t know who is getting disciplined or not. Ask for your absence analysis report and it will show all the absences for the year. Ultimately, if the PM on either side refuses the transfer, you can’t really do anything.

asher78

I’ve spoken to the other carriers and they’re always shocked people get in trouble because they never have for worse offenses. It’s been an ongoing thing for years. I do have witnesses that will attest to it because they’re all as shocked and frustrated as I am.

Rt2mailman

Once the office you're going to move to has accepted you, your office can only hold you back for 30 days. Call the other pm and check on the "rejection". Most likely there is not one. If your pm says anything else, file a grievance. Carriers are allowed to mutually tranfer.
As far as sick leave goes the USPS guidelines are to be very "generous" especially during this "Covid-19" period. Your pm is just feeding you a "line" to keep you there as long as possible.
ALL of us should know that when we are surprised by a statement from a pm it usually is because they are being less than truthful.

btdtret

asher78 -- "I finally found someone to do a mutual transfer with. As of about 6 months ago, PM said there were no reasons I personally would have a transfer denied by another office. Yesterday he hinted that another PM may not take me due to unscheduled absences."

-- A small question is: Why is it taking so long?

-- The BIG question is: How much, if any, of the Mutual Exchange Request From has been filled out?

- From Article 12.5.A.3. In part: Once the form is signed, the mutual exchange WILL be considered FINAL and BINDING and ONLY can be cancelled if ALL parties agree.

-- As for "Rt2mailman's" "hold for 30 days" -- that applies to an RCA seeking a transfer to another post office. Since you mentioned "mutual transfer", I am going with you are a regular carrier. If not, than the 30 -day hold applies -- as long as there is an RCA vacancy in the other office. ( Step 4 ( P-115))

"I’m soooo close to filing disparate treatment since they look the other way when the druggies and drunks call in unscheduled, but people with true medical emergencies get spanked."

-- Be sure to discuss such a grievance with your ADR prior to filing. Better have documentation.

asher78

asher78 -- "I finally found someone to do a mutual transfer with. As of about 6 months ago, PM said there were no reasons I personally would have a transfer denied by another office. Yesterday he hinted that another PM may not take me due to unscheduled absences."

-- The BIG question is: How much, if any, of the Mutual Exchange Request From has been filled out?

- From Article 12.5.A.3. In part: Once the form is signed, the mutual exchange WILL be considered FINAL and BINDING and ONLY can be cancelled if ALL parties agree.

-- As for "Rt2mailman's" "hold for 30 days" -- that applies to an RCA seeking a transfer to another post office. Since you mentioned "mutual transfer", I am going with you are a regular carrier. If not, than the 30 -day hold applies -- as long as there is an RCA vacancy in the other office. ( Step 4 ( P-115))

"I’m soooo close to filing disparate treatment since they look the other way when the druggies and drunks call in unscheduled, but people with true medical emergencies get spanked."

-- Be sure to discuss such a grievance with your ADR prior to filing. Better have documentation.
The other transfer fell through.

The first one didn’t work out because the other party changed their mind before they signed. This is a different transfer.

asher78

I talked to the other lady who says it was actually her supervisor my pm talked to and her pm hates her. She said she had surgery last year and then covid with complications and it put her in to lwop. She was out longer than the allowed time with covid because of the complications, but she has dr notes for all of the absences. It was my understanding that excused absences are not supposed to be used against you. If it comes down to it and they deny the transfer due to that, what are our chances of winning a grievance and being able to transfer?

She’s going to call today and speak to my pm personally to discuss the absences with him. My pm and super always act like it’s a personal offense any time someone has a true emergency and has to miss work so I doubt it’ll sway him.

Jiminy Christmas

The one that I can access does not show anything about absences, etc.
My thinking is that if you had any discipline for absences, etc. then it should be there... If you haven't had any "discipline" then it shouldn't be a reason for the other PM to deny the transfer.

Same goes with the other transfer. Chances are they don't have any formal discipline in their file either. It's all conjecture and hearsay between the PMs.

asher78

My pm ended up denying that transfer. He said she had many excessive unscheduled absences every year for the past several years.

I’m in another transfer now, a multi way and we’re waiting for the pm at the final office to sign. Wish there was more info about how to do this process. It’s sorely lacking in info and many at HR only know a tiny bit about city and clerk ereassign, not rural mutual.