• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

RCA abuse

RCAs always have and always will be the bottom of the heap at the PO... treated like complete :poop:... lower than whale :poop: on the ocean floor.... it's a thankless job, and you have to do it... the sacrifices are many, the rewards few.... sucks to be you when you're an RCA... I could go on, but you get my drift... just sayin'.... ?

Did I mention I love the RCA who is assigned to my route?
(Doesn't matter, I told him how much I respect and admire him as my sub, and why.)

I respect the poor RCA mentioned in the original post.
She needs validation of the concept that management is over-the-top abusive.
It will help her resist their tactics, which seem to align with brainwashing techniques.

When I first started, I had 2 days of orientation. At orientation I was told to go sit against a wall at the plant and stay there for 8 hours each day. I was told," you're a rural. We have no idea what that is...I'm sure they'll explain it when you get to your office." So I sat on a chair next to the time clock for 16 horrible hours. There was no academy at this time.
Showed up at my office for training and was immediately thrown on walking city swings for two weeks because they were short staffed. I worked city routes for a month before they ever let me near the rural side. Finally got to train on a rural route, which happened to also be a walking route?, and then was told to come in a 4 am and clerk until 8 am, do my assigned whatever rural route( no training on new rts) and come back to carry a city swing or two.
Not going to lie. I thought at the time, this is the most inefficient, mismanaged, corrupt company I've ever seen. Sadly, I look back and those were the good days.
Management was actually capable of scheduling and carrying routes, working the stamp counter, dispatching trucks. Yes, nepotism ruled the day even back then, but they wouldn't promote anyone who couldn't physically carry the mail at the end of the day. I have heard of some current unicorn offices were all employees work together well. I've never seen on though. And I've been to hundreds of offices.

i used to work in one of those unicorn offices. until the last pm came in. She does everything she can to turn people against each other. its really sad. We had routes that overlapped, so sometimes if there was a monster package, we could deliver it for the other guy, and the favor would get returned. The clerk worked really well with us, and would even deliver a package if she threw one to the wrong route. Almost never missed the truck, and people were actually happy. Now, the micromanager stepped in, and no one has time to help anyone out anymore. Its just amazing.

DB.Cooper said:

RCAs always have and always will be the bottom of the heap at the PO... treated like complete :poop:... lower than whale :poop: on the ocean floor.... it's a thankless job, and you have to do it... the sacrifices are many, the rewards few.... sucks to be you when you're an RCA... I could go on, but you get my drift... just sayin'.... ?
Some of us endured it and are now REG. How's that Reg gig working out for you?

Okay, maybe I'm weird...lol, I know I am. But, I really didn't mind doing the RCA gig. Maybe because I was older it worked out very well for me. I didn't mind learning all 24 routes and didn't mind all the exploitation. We were brought up to work for what we had. Do some days you work harder than others as an RCA? Hell yeah! I have been a regular a year on Nov 7 and wouldn't trade my RCA days for anything.

Oh, my bad. Taking my comment to heart, I need to get to know you better. I didn't realize you were an RCA
Sandygirl, How can your life be made easier from someone previously put in your exact same position?
In so many ways, she understands that for a long time there will be mistakes made, she gets it that she carries route 5 days a week and I sometimes only once so may forget this one box has two families in it, she picks up misdelivered mail if I leave it and fixes it, I fix them for her(rarely happens), she will tell me about mistakes if I make same ones more than twice, she remembers to let me know in advance when I need to sub for her because she was not made part of a team, times when I freak out because I put a package that was on hold into outgoing Sat mail, she said calm down, it should come back to us Monday, if it doesn't you can fess up then so many small things we can manage together, she rants to me, I to her and we both get it..she has taken days off back to back to let me see my own mistakes, at mail count it was so valuable to her that I was a willing student to learn what to do.....she let me understand that when a bad PM came along we would be there after they are gone ….

I find it funny that a couple of my coworkers are always trying to 1-up me in whatever way they can. Like they're so insecure as regulars. I'm thinking, "dude, I'm just an RCA, you don't have to prove yourself to me. You're a regular, remember? We aren't in competition with each other." They're always watching where I'm at, trying to beat me out the door. Always asking me what time I got back yesterday, etc. Why does it always have to be a competition? I am on everyone's side, and am there to help. I am the relief for cryin' out loud. :) Sorry, had to rant a bit.
Ditto, why do they care what I'm doing?
We're doing different routes with different evaluations and many different full coverage items.
How does my 9 hour day make them get home any sooner or later? (Crazy.)

We are all in this together. USPS and I think the power s that be want to devide us so we won't question or fight for the few rights we got. I appreciate rca s. Smile and realize they are just looking up to you. Time is on your side and it's not a race. Unless it's to the bottom.

Okay, maybe I'm weird...lol, I know I am. But, I really didn't mind doing the RCA gig. Maybe because I was older it worked out very well for me. I didn't mind learning all 24 routes and didn't mind all the exploitation. We were brought up to work for what we had. Do some days you work harder than others as an RCA? Hell yeah! I have been a regular a year on Nov 7 and wouldn't trade my RCA days for anything.

I find myself in agreement with you! I worked for almost 10 years as an RCA and owe all of the wonderful regular carriers that showed me tips that made my days easier a huge thank you! I worked and was experienced on 26 routes in 6 different offices. I would receive calls weekly from other offices to fill days that I was available. During my years as an RCA there were only two that I worked less than 2200 hours. Although I also enjoyed working the Amazon Sundays & Holidays at first, that part grew to be annoying when my work week became 7 days a week. But all things considered everything I've written in the above statements have made me the Carrier that I am today!

Back