RCA coming back from termination

Best answers
In true USPS fashion this is a bit of a wild situation I’m in. In June 2019 our most senior RCA who was on an aux hold down was fired for being caught stealing property from a customer (lawn decorations to be exact). I received the hold down because of this and have been in leave earning status for quite some time. The customers who they stole from refused to show up for the negotiations between the post office and the union stating that they forgave them and didn’t want to be involved. So this RCA was able to get their job back and I was informed that as soon as she comes back from drivers training I lose the aux route because she has more seniority. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening or am I just screwed?

Rural Runner

Best answers
That's not how it works. You can't bump somebody off a hold-down due to seniority, even if they had it before. They were on the hold-down, and now you are on the hold-down. Simple. Call the union.

Last edited:

hockey94

Best answers
In true USPS fashion this is a bit of a wild situation I’m in. In June 2019 our most senior RCA who was on an aux hold down was fired for being caught stealing property from a customer (lawn decorations to be exact). I received the hold down because of this and have been in leave earning status for quite some time. The customers who they stole from refused to show up for the negotiations between the post office and the union stating that they forgave them and didn’t want to be involved. So this RCA was able to get their job back and I was informed that as soon as she comes back from drivers training I lose the aux route because she has more seniority. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening or am I just screwed?

Are you sure this person was actually terminated ?, or a postal "termination" where some lazy and or incompetent mgt thing never did what was necessary to separate this person officially. More to the story ? IMO, most ppl who get caught stealing, it was not the first time they had sticky fingers !

Last edited:
Best answers
Are you sure this person was actually terminated ?, or a postal "termination" where some lazy and or incompetent mgt thing never did what was necessary to separate this person officially. More to the story ? IMO, most ppl who get caught stealing, it was not the first time they had sticky fingers !
She was removed from the time sheet if that’s any indication.

Rural Runner

Best answers
She was removed from the time sheet if that’s any indication.

That doesn't mean that she was terminated, it just means that you are now the primary carrier of record.

At best, if she wasn't terminated, she could argue that management had no right to offer up her hold-down. But the fact is that they DID. She wasn't able to run the route, so they offered it up. If that is the case, you could argue the same thing. You are the primary carrier. You are in a leave earning capacity with hold down rights, and they have no right to offer it up. This is why you need to contact the union asap.

blamethesub

Best answers
If I understand you, the RCA was/is the senior RCA, and was assigned to the aux route when she was accused of theft. It doesn't seem to me that she was fired, but rather was removed from duty pending investigation, arrest, court, etc. Once the people she stole from decided to drop the charges, the RCA was reinstated.

If that's the case, I would think the senior RCA should resume her position as the aux carrier. You filled the spot while she was out, no different than if she had broken a leg and was out for months on medical leave. If she's "not guilty" she should be fully reinstated as if nothing happened.

gotstamps

Best answers
If I understand you, the RCA was/is the senior RCA, and was assigned to the aux route when she was accused of theft. It doesn't seem to me that she was fired, but rather was removed from duty pending investigation, arrest, court, etc. Once the people she stole from decided to drop the charges, the RCA was reinstated.

If that's the case, I would think the senior RCA should resume her position as the aux carrier. You filled the spot while she was out, no different than if she had broken a leg and was out for months on medical leave. If she's "not guilty" she should be fully reinstated as if nothing happened.
It really all depends on the case AND if she filed any Grievances & the outcome of those settlements. Obviously, she filed on the Removal but did that include “make her whole of all lost wages & benefits”?
It is possible that she gets assigned back to the Aux route with the settlement. A phone call to the Union Rep would shed light as to whether or not the Senior gets her route back or not & whether there is a valid grievance.