• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Rca denied relief day

LuMi

I’ve been an rca 12 years and for the first time ever was not scheduled on my relief day that I should have worked.

I requested one Saturday day off. My regular agreed to work for me.

Management said in order to pay the regular carrier within the pay period I had to have both relief days off and the regular had to work.

It doesn’t sound right to me at all. I’ve done this sparsely in years past and never heard of this.

I want to file a grievance to get paid for the day I was denied work.

Does anyone know in the contract what I can state in the grievance to justify me filing and getting paid for being denied work.

Appreciate it

I’ve been an rca 12 years and for the first time ever was not scheduled on my relief day that I should have worked.

Management said in order to pay the regular carrier within the pay period I had to have both relief days off and the regular had to work.

It doesn’t sound right to me at all. I’ve done this sparsely in years past and never heard of this.

Does anyone know in the contract what I can state in the grievance to justify me filing and getting paid for being denied work.

Appreciate it

If you are the primary RCA on a K route, you are entitled to 1 day of work per week on the scheduled relief day for the route. If the Regular is needed to work due to an insufficient number of leave replacements, you should have been scheduled to work on a different route.

If the Regular agreed to work one relief day in a pay period to allow you to have off, they should have only received an X day (no extra pay) that had to be used within 12 weeks and scheduled by mutual agreement with management. So there is no extra pay due to the Regular. So I’m not sure what your management means by “in order to pay the regular carrier within the pay period” you had to be off both relief days and the Regular had to work.

Anyway, you are not responsible for supplying the contractual violation in your grievance. That is the steward’s responsibility. For 4. on the grievance, just state something like: “Did management violate the National Agreement when I was not scheduled to work on the designated Relief day of my primary route?” And then in your private statement for your steward list all the details.

Edit: one supporting piece of the contract is:
Article 9.2.C.5.i The Employer will not allow a regular rural carrier to work a relief day in accordance with their personal wishes when a qualified leave replacement is available in the delivery unit.

While your Regular may not have personally wished to work the 2nd relief day, but was perhaps told they had to by management, this Article does support that you should not have been sitting home without work on that day.

Last edited:

Appreciate it
If it is a j route and the carrier has been taking leave or lwop to get both Saturday's off. The carrier would have to work their j day to receive extra pay. There are a lot of new j and h routes since rrecs.

If it is a j route and the carrier has been taking leave or lwop to get both Saturday's off. The carrier would have to work their j day to receive extra pay. There are a lot of new j and h routes since rrecs.
It’s a K route. I talked to our union rep and will file grievance asap! Thanks for the reply.

If you are the primary RCA on a K route, you are entitled to 1 day of work per week on the scheduled relief day for the route. If the Regular is needed to work due to an insufficient number of leave replacements, you should have been scheduled to work on a different route.

If the Regular agreed to work one relief day in a pay period to allow you to have off, they should have only received an X day (no extra pay) that had to be used within 12 weeks and scheduled by mutual agreement with management. So there is no extra pay due to the Regular. So I’m not sure what your management means by “in order to pay the regular carrier within the pay period” you had to be off both relief days and the Regular had to work.

Anyway, you are not responsible for supplying the contractual violation in your grievance. That is the steward’s responsibility. For 4. on the grievance, just state something like: “Did management violate the National Agreement when I was not scheduled to work on the designated Relief day of my primary route?” And then in your private statement for your steward list all the details.

Edit: one supporting piece of the contract is:
Article 9.2.C.5.i The Employer will not allow a regular rural carrier to work a relief day in accordance with their personal wishes when a qualified leave replacement is available in the delivery unit.

While your Regular may not have personally wished to work the 2nd relief day, but was perhaps told they had to by management, this Article does support that you should not have been sitting home without work on that day.
Yes, K route and thank you so much for this information!!

No, but the new evals just started and the carrier can still request a day off every pay period to receive 2 days off. I was a k and now a j so I take lwop on the relief day that I lost so I still get 2 days off.
not "2" relief days.

No, but the new evals just started and the carrier can still request a day off every pay period to receive 2 days off. I was a k and now a j so I take lwop on the relief day that I lost so I still get 2 days off.
Be careful with taking LWOP. 11 LWOPs & you lose 1 AL day.

Back