• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

RCA leave

This thread, is why I love my office.
When I was an aux carrier, I’d let the regulars know “I want such and such days off, is this ok with you?” When the regulars okd it, I’d go to the subs and say “I want such and such days off, the Regs are ok with it, are you?”....
Same went for Regs wanting days off, they came to me many times saying “I’m wanting such and such days, are you ok with it?”..... we worked together to make sure we all got time off we wanted. We’d all work 6 days a week to make sure we all got off when we wanted.....
Even now I’m a regular, on a k route, we still work out our vacations amongst carriers and subs before we file with management..... we all look out for each other, and we’ll all work our days off to make sure we get to take vacation when we want it.....

When I was an aux carrier, I’d let the regulars know “I want such and such days off, is this ok with you?” When the regulars okd it, I’d go to the subs and say “I want such and such days off, the Regs are ok with it, are you?”....
Same went for Regs wanting days off, they came to me many times saying “I’m wanting such and such days, are you ok with it?”..... we worked together to make sure we all got time off we wanted. We’d all work 6 days a week to make sure we all got off when we wanted.....
Even now I’m a regular, on a k route, we still work out our vacations amongst carriers and subs before we file with management..... we all look out for each other, and we’ll all work our days off to make sure we get to take vacation when we want it.....
This is the way it should be.

That would be nice. Just not possible with large offices unless we go the yearly calendar like City & Clerk. Never gonna happen here.

That would be nice. Just not possible with large offices unless we go the yearly calendar like City & Clerk. Never gonna happen here.

It's a crying shame. love the craft, hate the direction it is going.

Not asking for paid time off or Saturdays specifically, just requesting days off. Is there an order that they are approved? If my regular is off on monday and i request days off other than Monday. Is there anything in writing as to rcas being approved for days off. First come first serve?

I always instruct RCA's to submit 3971 forms for days they are unavailable or would like to have the day off for a family function ect...

Well well. I put in a slip for a week off this summer. Recieved it back denied. There is 1 regular off that monday as of right now. I guess I'll be filing right away and will get to the bottom of this.

Our newish PM is a real piece of work. She has our office in shambles. Pits everyone against each other. Brought a super from her previous office who SCREAMED at a coworker and called her an f'en B. And had quite a meltdown. And in the end my coworker is being blamed for the whole thing. PM,who was not there, is attacking her character.

I am positive, after 5 years with the P.O., I won't see 6 years. As much as I am not a quitter, if there isn't a drastic change, I'm out. Today I set a personal goal or maybe I should call it a deadline and I'm sticking to it!

I refuse to allow them to scream or yell.

(If I can't punch you in the chops, then you can't yell at me. )

I will call DR, District Hotline and EAP. I will walk out, citing stress leave. I will go to the doctor for documentation.
I practically live at work. I will not take that ¢®@p.

I'm senior in a very large office.

If the newest hire puts in a leave slip before me, they get the day, if there is coverage.

Management should try to get coverage from other offices, if needed.

You are entitled to a life. Many of us old-timers will volunteer to work our day off to see you get to that wedding or family vacation. (Hint: ask us, then tell management we'll do it, if necessary.)

Good luck. (Did I mention we have some FANTASTIC subs in our office? Thanks for being an asset to our craft.)
Its awesome that you feeel that way..... my reg works for me a couple of Sat a year so we can have family vacation...… she taught me about leave slips and first come first served AND the NO CALL to be checked lol

We do the same and it is great....

I refuse to allow them to scream or yell.

(If I can't punch you in the chops, then you can't yell at me. )

I will call DR, District Hotline and EAP. I will walk out, citing stress leave. I will go to the doctor for documentation.
I practically live at work. I will not take that ¢®@p.

Oh he would not have done that to me!
I would be unemployed! They have the city carriers so scared for their jobs they won't even write statements of what they witnessed. I understand that people need their jobs but... hope they never need statements from the rural side when he lashes out at them. Worst supervisory "team" ever and they think they're the best

The only way for an RCA to have paid time off is to be leave earning by being on a route that the regular is unable to do for over 90 days or to be on an auxiliary route. Yes you may request time off just the same as any regular carrier. No one is guaranteed time off. Back when I was an RCA I almost certainly was always expected to work Saturdays and only a few times was a Saturday approved for me. If you want to plan a vacation put that leave slip in. It's still not always approved for me to get a Saturday as a regular. If you have a lot of other RCAs you'll be more likely to be approved.
How do you go about getting this paid time off. I've been carrying for a regular who has been off 7 months and no one has ever mentioned this to me. Is it just vacation time I am entitled to? Do I just speak with the postmaster? Thank you

How do you go about getting this paid time off. I've been carrying for a regular who has been off 7 months and no one has ever mentioned this to me. Is it just vacation time I am entitled to? Do I just speak with the postmaster? Thank you
You need to have your postmaster or supervisor submit that you have a designation change due to being on that route. Once they get that done you'll receive your time off that will be 4 hours per pay period, sick and annual, that has accumulated since the first day you were on the route with the regular being off. If the regular comes back for even 1 day, it starts over and you'll be paid out the annual and the sick will go into a 'bank'. If the regular is off due to a work related injury, the route is held for 2 years before the regular is placed on a phantom route. If the carrier is off due to a non work related issue, they have 1 year. This change of designation must be done by management and contact a union steward.

You get sick and annual (vacation) leave.

The form is called a "personnel action request" form. It takes maybe 2 minutes to fill out. It is management's obligation to fill this out. You could grieve their tardiness if you wanted to. They may have forgot or maybe they just hoped you did.

The current form looks similar to this outdated one:

Personnel Action Request Form.png

You get sick and annual (vacation) leave.

The form is called a "personnel action request" form. It takes maybe 2 minutes to fill out. It is management's obligation to fill this out. You could grieve their tardiness if you wanted to. They may have forgot or maybe they just hoped you did.

The current form looks similar to this outdated one:

View attachment 4600
When you get your Management to complete the change make sure they back date it to the 1'st day of you covering that route!

Thank you! I need to find concrete scripture on this. New PM has told regulars that we are there to serve them and that basically we only get leave if they don't want it.

That makes me laugh in one of those "Yeah right!" laughs. Two things come to mind.

1. RCA job descriptions all basically say Saturday<relief>, Sunday<Amazon>, Holidays<Amazon> and "on an as needed basis to cover the absence of the carrier". The latter is them dancing with the forbidden "on call" status. We are not on call.

2. It is written that grounds for RCA termination is something like "repeated unavailability".

If I understand your original post you are not looking to get out of a previous commitment to cover the absence of a carrier. If that is true, all you need to do is tell the PM and the carrier you will not be available, on dates x, y, z or x through z, whatever it is.

If you are trying to get out of a dedicated relief day, ask for a switch with the regular. Most will do it. If you are just trying to block out some days, that you are not already committed to, just tell them you are not available those days. Game over.

If you haven't figured it out yet, full-timers have to work around our schedule more than we have to work around theirs. The law of supply and demand is being perfectly illustrated at USPS when it comes to full timers and part-timers. We are like gold these days. Stick up for yourself.

The only way for an RCA to have paid time off is to be leave earning by being on a route that the regular is unable to do for over 90 days or to be on an auxiliary route. Yes you may request time off just the same as any regular carrier. No one is guaranteed time off. Back when I was an RCA I almost certainly was always expected to work Saturdays and only a few times was a Saturday approved for me. If you want to plan a vacation put that leave slip in. It's still not always approved for me to get a Saturday as a regular. If you have a lot of other RCAs you'll be more likely to be approved.
That is not true with new contract if you work more then 20 hours in a pay period you should earn 4 hours!

Back