RCA required to work in other offices

w2e2w2e

1-Anybody remember the thread that was discussing the RCA being called into other offices?
This would be something that would be approved in new contract.
2-If the new contract has been voted on, is it now in effect?
3-Can I now file a grievance if my leave has been denied and they have not checked other offices for leave availability?

btdtret

w2e2w2e -- "Anybody remember the thread that was discussing the RCA being called into other offices? "

-- Sorry, no.

"This would be something that would be approved in new contract."

-- The USPS claimed it was their "right" to order RCA's ( and ARC's ?? ) to other offices when the NRLCA grievance was denied in 2017.

-- The USPS advised the NRLCA to go through collective bargaining instead of the grievance process.

-- Added in the 2018-2021 Contract. Article 30.2.D.5. The Employer may schedule a leave replacement from another office before selecting a regular rural carrier not on the relief day work list to work in accordance with Article 8.5.A.2. ( to me anyways -- that is not the same as manglement can order an RCA to work at another office ). Moving on.. The last of the 6 paragraphs to explain #5 comes close: NOTE: Management may not schedule a relief carrier to work in another office if that relief carrier is contractually entitled to work in their assigned office on that day. ( at least in most cases, RCA's can get mileage. ) ( Is "manglement" in the office that needs an RCA or is "manglement" in the RCA's assigned office? )

"If the new contract has been voted on, is it now in effect?"

-- Yes to the first part and no to the second. Have you been on vacation in the back woods? The 2018-2021 contract ratification notice was issued on the 6th of August. About 19+% of the membership bothered to send in a ballot. 16,714 for with 2,665 against.

- Should go into effect when ever the photo op signing takes place -- maybe around 19 August - after the convention.

- What a nice gesture it would be to have the signing of the new contract at the convention - after the PMG speaks ( haven't looked at the convention schedule - has the PMG been invited to speak?

"Can I now file a grievance if my leave has been denied and they have not checked other offices for leave availability?"

-- Probably a good idea to greive any denied leave request.

-- Apparently carriers will have to depend on manglement 's saying "We've called other offices. Doesn't seem to be any RCA available." ( are their lips moving? )

gotstamps

Sorry but the new contract only states that Mgmt MAY use RCAs from another office within 50 miles. Nothing mandates mgmt to actually do this.

ALWAYS grieve a denied Leave Request. You never know if mgmt is truthful about not having coverage & Aux RCAs & “hold-downs” don’t count.

gerl2

We have an almost 4 month RCA who is slow but almost has her 90 days in, she has worked on regular and aux route. While aux route has been doing the other routes because he knows all routes not that it is the correct way. For some reason they have decided this week she will be doing the other routes blind, no ride around. Geese I hope we don't lose her but what do you all think is the proper time? I almost feel bad enough to go in and help her get the route up, but yet keep telling myself let management worry about it. How long do you all let your subs start training on other routes?

btdtret

Rdruckus et al -- "Did PMG tell them to drive off every sub they can? "

-- That certainly seem to be the case based upon "gerl2's" posting of: "For some reason they have decided this week she [ an almost 90-day ARC ] will be doing the other routes blind, no ride around." ( someone be sure to tell the ARC to get ACTUAL TIME on those "blind" routes. )

-- If so, that is a 180 from what the PMG said at the NRCLA National Convention at Reno in 2015. "She [ PMG ] is NOT for doing away with Saturday delivery and is pushing very hard for hiring AND retaining RCA's. She wants 7,000 new RCA's on board by the Christmas season. And she is dictating that they [ RCA's ] be properly trained. She did say that it would some effort to get the word down through the ranks to district and local managers that these new RCA's were to be retained at all costs." ( passed along by an attendee )

btdtret

gotstamps et al -- "Sorry but the new contract only states that Mgmt MAY use RCAs from another office within 50 miles. Nothing mandates mgmt to actually do this. "

-- Wow! Finally a situation where "MAY" could actually work in the carrier's favor.

Sandygirl

We have an almost 4 month RCA who is slow but almost has her 90 days in, she has worked on regular and aux route. While aux route has been doing the other routes because he knows all routes not that it is the correct way. For some reason they have decided this week she will be doing the other routes blind, no ride around. Geese I hope we don't lose her but what do you all think is the proper time? I almost feel bad enough to go in and help her get the route up, but yet keep telling myself let management worry about it. How long do you all let your subs start training on other routes?
I say help her if you wanna keep her...…...Isn't this Auxie loosing Leave time by someone else working her route??

gerl2

I say help her if you wanna keep her...…...Isn't this Auxie loosing Leave time by someone else working her route??
Yes I believe maybe auxy got fed up and said something, could be why the change. Auxy agreed that they would cover routes until she got the hang of things I personally believe she dragged her feet because she was enjoying what she was doing. Not what she should be doing. That is why it is unusual for PM to do something like this, I was expecting at least a shadow day for her. Usually, PM holds back on bulk for sub and we had a pretty heavy Sat. and she gave it all to her, so yah not sure what happened but something did. That is why I was wondering how soon do your subs start learning another route. I also know she had spoken to another PM because she was trying to borrow another RCA.

gotstamps

Yes I believe maybe auxy got fed up and said something, could be why the change. Auxy agreed that they would cover routes until she got the hang of things I personally believe she dragged her feet because she was enjoying what she was doing. Not what she should be doing. That is why it is unusual for PM to do something like this, I was expecting at least a shadow day for her. Usually, PM holds back on bulk for sub and we had a pretty heavy Sat. and she gave it all to her, so yah not sure what happened but something did. That is why I was wondering how soon do your subs start learning another route. I also know she had spoken to another PM because she was trying to borrow another RCA.
The Aux RCA only accrues SL & AL on the Aux route. They are obligated to serve the Aux route first & then can assist other routes.
We try to get a training day on other routes for new subs but it doesn’t work out that way. Quite often it happens that the Route they are assigned to gets called in for RDWL & the newbies end up thrown to whatever is needed. The new subs do get help but it’s just unavoidable sometimes.

DB.Cooper

I've wondered if they have the ability to selectively "load level" routes... some days when I've been there, I've seen routes with new subs on them with shockingly little mail and parcels compared to the other routes... which always made me wonder if there was some way they can request load leveling by specific route... also, noticed this during mail counts when only certain routes were being counted... js... :rolleyes:

Bleostic

Did PMG tell them to drive off every sub they can? :rolleyes:
Yep.. also, having to run routes in other offices that you are not familiar with raises the chance of accidents and injuries.. so not sure how this is going to help anybody. Plus.. if they require RCA's from small offices to work routes around cities in undesirable neighborhoods you can almost guarantee their resignation. The extra benefits the PO offers in return will not make a difference when the already burdensome job gets harder.. double down on those few that kept on trucking as RCA's and you are left without any of them. The down fall of the PO is upon us, this Christmas will show how the house of cards will apart.

Last edited:

glen

In our office new subs are given 3 days of training on their primary then do a different route everyday 6 days a week till they quit.shadow day on other routes never happens as rca's do a pivot almost everyday rather have the new guy do half a route to lessen the burden a little.

Bleostic

In our office new subs are given 3 days of training on their primary then do a different route everyday 6 days a week till they quit.shadow day on other routes never happens as rca's do a pivot almost everyday rather have the new guy do half a route to lessen the burden a little.
Sounds like you work in an awesome place, every RCA's dream come true..

glen

How many regulars would come in on their day off so rca's don't have to pivot not many. Pay people $17 an hour with no benefits 5 years to become regular, no time with family I don't blame them for leaving you couldn't make up how subs are treated in a big office short on subs.Its at the point where probably regs should be forced in rather than watching people be treated like this.

mwellis32

You get what you pay for! And if you treat them like sh-t you'll get sh-t in return. What PM is going to call and hunt for a sub in a 50 mile radius? What would a PM expect if they found a sub to work on a strange route for no additional pay or help? When you start treating people right, training them right, pay them good and provide them with a proper vehicle to carry and handle parcels and provide help when needed to reduce injuries and accidents you may a have a USPS that people actually want to work for. But this will never work by keeping a bloated management that knows nothing about business that is controlled by politicians and government officials who can't balance any budget running the Post Office. No wonder the USPS is all the hell.

Bchapman

Ok I have seen these comments of saying they won't go to another office if they don't provide an llv. I thought it was required to have a pov? Have things change since I was an rca. My office and many more around us don't have llv's. But that's what we are hearing. Can anyone clarify this for me and proof. Thanks.