• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

RCAs training other RCAs

I was originally trained on my first route by the RCA that was covering it with the regular was laid up. Actually I think I got better training from a sub than I would have from a regular (I'm a regular now).

Whoever is running the route does the training and they are getting paid, training is just part of the territory. There's no extra kitty ($) to draw from.

Last edited:
RCAs train all the time. In my own personal experience, whoever drives gets the evaluation, and whoever's in the jump seat gets the green card. Not sure if this is how its supposed to be done, but I actually prefer it this way so I just ?
When you’re the one scheduled on the route, you get the eval. Doesn’t matter who’s driving.

I was originally trained on my first route by the RCA that was covering it with the regular was laid up. Actually I think I got better training from a sub than I would have from a regular (I'm a regular now).

Whoever is running the route does the training and they are getting paid, training is just part of the territory. There's no extra kitty ($) to draw from.
ahhh...it was explained to me differently. I was told that the new RCA would ride with me first day, then the second and third days we would split the route. I'd only get paid for the part that I worked and nothing more. I'm the one scheduled on the route daily but wouldn't get paid full evaluation. So basically I'd be splitting my daily evaluation with the new RCA resulting in a loss of hours/pay. Is that correct?

ahhh...it was explained to me differently. I was told that the new RCA would ride with me first day, then the second and third days we would split the route. I'd only get paid for the part that I worked and nothing more. I'm the one scheduled on the route daily but wouldn't get paid full evaluation. So basically I'd be splitting my daily evaluation with the new RCA resulting in a loss of hours/pay. Is that correct?
Put the time you walk in the door till the time you leave either on the 4240 or a green card. 4240 you are going to get eval if you're under 40 hours for the week (actual if over 40), green card you will get actual time.

If you are splitting the route and taking half, you both should be on green cards.

Last edited:
What I would do the first day is involve them in preparing the route as much as possible... once you leave for the route show them how you deliver for 50 or so mailboxes... and then switch. Let them DO the job and you take the jump seat and give advice as you go. This is assuming you're in an LLV. Dunno how you POV guys do it.

What I would do the first day is involve them in preparing the route as much as possible... once you leave for the route show them how you deliver for 50 or so mailboxes... and then switch. Let them DO the job and you take the jump seat and give advice as you go. This is assuming you're in an LLV. Dunno how you POV guys do it.
I drive my regular vehicle and let them deliver... they need as much experience as possible and I can guide/explain lots of little things as we go.... it’s an easy sell to the PM as my RHD only has the one seat...

Put the time you walk in the door till the time you leave either on the 4240 or a green card. 4240 you are going to get eval if you're under 40 hours for the week (actual if over 40), green card you will get actual time.

If you are splitting the route and taking half, you both should be on green cards.
No documentation will back that up. That’s penalizing a “Seasoned sub” for training a newbie. Most likely, they didn’t volunteer to train & definitely wouldn’t for only a portion of a day’s pay. If a Sub REQUESTS assistance then it’s a split. But if MGMT forces assistance on a sub, they get the Eval.
In all reality, a Regular should be training a sub regardless of what route the newbie is assigned to. Most of the subs in my office don’t follow proper procedure & just do as they want. I train mine properly & expect them to treat the route as if they lived there. My route rarely gets ECC cases & this not the time to start with all that’s going on. If I see that they are trying, I’ll be in their corner but I won’t back a lazy sub that’s just there for the paycheck.

No documentation will back that up. That’s penalizing a “Seasoned sub” for training a newbie. Most likely, they didn’t volunteer to train & definitely wouldn’t for only a portion of a day’s pay. If a Sub REQUESTS assistance then it’s a split. But if MGMT forces assistance on a sub, they get the Eval.
In all reality, a Regular should be training a sub regardless of what route the newbie is assigned to. Most of the subs in my office don’t follow proper procedure & just do as they want. I train mine properly & expect them to treat the route as if they lived there. My route rarely gets ECC cases & this not the time to start with all that’s going on. If I see that they are trying, I’ll be in their corner but I won’t back a lazy sub that’s just there for the paycheck.
Since the OP is scheduled for the route, I concede that they should be signing and out on the 4240 and should be getting the full evaluation regardless of the split assignment. But in my experience I'm never under 40 hours, so it really doesn't matter.

And I'm more of the mindset that the eval system is scam anyway. RCAs should always get paid straight time. Even "Seasoned" RCAs are scammed since not every day is an "evaluated" day. The volume varies widely day to day.

If the RCA is on a hold-down then it's a different scenario, but with the parcel avalanche and likely working 6 days you're not going to be under 40 either.

Since the OP is scheduled for the route, I concede that they should be signing and out on the 4240 and should be getting the full evaluation regardless of the split assignment. But in my experience I'm never under 40 hours, so it really doesn't matter.

And I'm more of the mindset that the eval system is scam anyway. RCAs should always get paid straight time. Even "Seasoned" RCAs are scammed since not every day is an "evaluated" day. The volume varies widely day to day.

If the RCA is on a hold-down then it's a different scenario, but with the parcel avalanche and likely working 6 days you're not going to be under 40 either.
A handful of subs in my office stay under 40 hours working 5 days. I assume that they likely just “throw & go” & run. A couple of the Hold-down subs work under 40 in 6 days. Those subs not working 5 or more days, can typically stay under the daily except on Day-After holidays & some Mondays.
Quite a few office nearby lost 1/2 their Amazon pkgs in the last 9 months & run early everyday. I do feel for these other offices if we have a Mail Count as they will likely lose hours.

You got screwed (so while you were riding and the other was delivering you were not paid) it sounds like you have a very creative PM, watch your back with him/her!

Last edited:
Back