• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Refusing parcel help?

I was out till 9pm yesterday (Monday November 28) doing a 3rd trip to finish all the packages. Latest I have ever delivered the mail in 15 years. It is normally up to the PM to determine how long a person will deliver. From my understanding Inquisitor if you refuse to deliver items then you are not doing/meeting requirements/regulations which is a disciplinary action and possibly a fireable action.

If we reach 12 hours in a day, can a regular bring all undelivered mail and packages back to the office and leave for the next day, or do we need to deliver it even if we’re out until 9pm?
That is up to mgmt so contact them & notify that 12-Hr is approaching. If exhausted & don’t feel it safe to continue, let mgmt know. If instructed to continue, file a 1767 Safety form.

The problem is if you are regular, if you do not finish the route they can deny you the entire days pay, unless you spend a day of annual or sick leave because we do have provisions for pay over 12 hours.
That would be grievable. Mgmt would have to find someone to finish the route & if a Regular Carrier is almost at 12 hours then it’s likely that so is a sub.

Sorry, but Carriers cannot refuse assistance. Mgmt has the right to manage hours. They can even send you home when you have met your evaluation & have a sub run your route for the rest of the day/week. Carriers do not have a right to that overtime.
Up until last year, this is how our offices ran. Checked each day to be sure by the end of the week each carrier would be at or under evaluation. Assistance provided as needed to ensure they met those time restrictions.

As assistance (RCA's) evaporated, last year there was little choice but to pay overtime to regulars. This year, with little help in any office, we are more focused on making dispatch than overtime.

Skierstmoritz et al -- "The last month(and before) we have been bombed with flats and pkgs. We are an Amazon office. We have received no aux assistance. Today we were told that starting next Saturday (coincidence?) Dec 4th we would receive aux help. "

-- Actually Saturday is 3 December.

-- And the "peak" rural carrier season runs through Friday, 23 December.

-- The "peak" season for HARCs and the other postal crafts runs ( much ) longer. ( why is that - national officers? )

-- Just pretend the peak season is just like a mail count when Amazon, UPS, DHL, and FedEx trucks are seen more out on the route than dropping parcels at the post office. And DPS is in pristine condition while advertising flats "disappear" for a couple of weeks.

-- And another "good" thing, there are no "second trips" during the peak season. ( wink, wink )

-- Now is the time to be very thorough and methodical in handling and delivering the mail so manglement gets to tell you not come in on Friday, or maybe even Thursday because you've worked too many hours. Of course, if in a sub-short office, just keep on working. ( or tell manglement to "suit up" and demonstrate what a great carrier you used to be )

-- If it gets to the point when you are tired / exhausted, tell manglement that and point to the "Safety Depends On Me" sign in the office. Tell manglement you don't feel safe going back out to the streets, even if it is still light.

-- Good luck to all.

That would be grievable. Mgmt would have to find someone to finish the route & if a Regular Carrier is almost at 12 hours then it’s likely that so is a sub.
Our sub is always longer but ALWAYS gets help with parcels (Clerk and PM helping sub deliver parcels) it takes 3 people to deliver that, and usually more, what they expect the regular to deliver w/o help!

Yesterday was ridiculous! We had late Amazon, and a ton of it, from the day before and yesterday, Amazon is on time and she got at least twice we had from the day before! No sub coming in to assist. Extremely poor management. As much as we had the day before, PM should have paid us all 8127 time to get the large parcels out, but NO, we can deliver them on our own time, but refuses to pay us just in case Amazon is late the next day.
Honestly, this is worst manager we have ever had! I can’t believe that someone so incompetent, with no management skills whatsoever, who doesn’t communicate or even try to communicate, could even qualify for the job, let alone actually get the job as post master.
The problem is if you are regular, if you do not finish the route they can deny you the entire days pay, unless you spend a day of annual or sick leave because we do have provisions for pay over 12 hours.

Our office doesn’t even worry about dispatch because it is an out of reach reality on the city side, let alone whatever is happening, or not, on the rural side.
They send me out to pick up all the regs outgoing everyday when I am done with aux. usually about 3 hrs finding everyone to make dispatch with what they have.

regs are all ok with the group chat that I text in shortly before done. Whoever has gotten to all pickups I grab first then go down the list. It’s stupid but it keeps customers happy knowing it actually goes out that day.

I saw on the local news the usual story about shipping deadlines for ups/fed ex/po, and the person said how the PO etc has hired extra ppl to deal with the rush.

It would be nice to know how many ppl were actually hired by the PO !
Every hire happened on the city side, rural doesn't exist to the PO. All news articles focus on city carriers. Our problems don't count.

I was taking my time to get OT however we have no parcels in my office. Its completely dead. after 2019 thinking after many Christmas I will never enjoy Christmas ever at PO, destroyed in 2020, in 2021 figuring I should look for a new job being killed again, this year its like a slightly heavy day. Got off at 2:30pm today even going back to PO and taking out some parcels for the next day. Saw 2 amazon trucks and 2 people delivering amazon out of personal vehicles today just on my route. So I decided to work at my normal pace and be happy to be off before dark for once in December.

I was taking my time to get OT however we have no parcels in my office. Its completely dead. after 2019 thinking after many Christmas I will never enjoy Christmas ever at PO, destroyed in 2020, in 2021 figuring I should look for a new job being killed again, this year its like a slightly heavy day. Got off at 2:30pm today even going back to PO and taking out some parcels for the next day. Saw 2 amazon trucks and 2 people delivering amazon out of personal vehicles today just on my route. So I decided to work at my normal pace and be happy to be off before dark for once in December.
must be nice...enjoy it...I take it you are not a heavy amazon office?

I was out till 9pm yesterday (Monday November 28) doing a 3rd trip to finish all the packages. Latest I have ever delivered the mail in 15 years. It is normally up to the PM to determine how long a person will deliver. From my understanding Inquisitor if you refuse to deliver items then you are not doing/meeting requirements/regulations which is a disciplinary action and possibly a fireable action.
Sad situation...I have been out till 8 a few times in past few weeks...over 12 hours and nothing was said by myself nor mgmt...extremely unlike me bc am very fast paced....one day work 12 hours next day 7 or 8 (ANYONE can easily see something is wrong with those numbers and the way they fluctuate)..the problem I see and have seen in last couple years is the mail processing plants NOT leveling the mail out (as well as amazon) and our office MUST TAKE OUT all we have in house. Good Luck and be safe!

Oh, yeah. I'd slow to a snails pace. Safety first. Walk around the vehicle, wash your windows, lube those cbu's, start writing up 1767s on the road for trees, bushes, hoops, etc. As long as you are working they can't say a thing.
per db and gotrope...I'm retired but NEVER got OT... But I made sure rca's got as much as possible...I'd do my job exactly and as carefully as I could..At least somebody got paid beau-coup OT...

In our office, the RCA'S get more relief than we do. Some up to three different loads a day. I would just like a little help cause I am dying this year. Still no plan in our office on what to do. Help? You got help...yeah before Amazon got there and that was a total of 11 packages.....

Skierstmoritz et al -- "The last month(and before) we have been bombed with flats and pkgs. We are an Amazon office. We have received no aux assistance. Today we were told that starting next Saturday (coincidence?) Dec 4th we would receive aux help. "

-- Actually Saturday is 3 December.
This thread started last year and was just recently resurrected - the date of Dec. 4th is correct in the post's context.

Work EXTREMELY slow. When questioned, just tell them you are physically and mentally beat from working the previous months with no help. Tell them that if you would have helped me out the last few months I would be less broken down and could work faster. It's far from untrue. Workplace morale is a serious efficiency modifier. The sudden switch to AUX assistance ONLY when it affects the USPS bottom line is enough MENTALLY to dwindle a carrier's drive.
This year after the horrendous political mailings, this is especially true. Some of my days in October were longer than previous Christmas periods.

Another year older, another year more worn down.

Sorry, but Carriers cannot refuse assistance. Mgmt has the right to manage hours. They can even send you home when you have met your evaluation & have a sub run your route for the rest of the day/week. Carriers do not have a right to that overtime.
I realize this is true but I have always wondered who thought it made any sense to be more than willing to pay city carriers overtime every freakin' day of the year and yet begrudge us of overtime the three weeks a year we can actually get it.

Back