Regarding rrecs, once again

Skierstmoritz

An old subject for which I don't think we've gotten a definitive answer. Has any rural carrier out there, that is not in the study, been mapped yet? And if so, could you please tell us about it . Like havegonenow, I am reaching the end of my rope, too many parcels, too little hope. Am looking for a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel.

btdtret

Skierstmoritz et al -- "Has any rural carrier out there, that is not in the study, been mapped yet? "

-- To take it a bit farther - since a MOU in the new contract specified a "simplified mapping" process was to be made available "no later than 31 AUG 2019, has anyone used it yet?

" am reaching the end of my rope, "

-- Be sure to tie a knot before getting to the end of that rope so you will have something to hang on to!

" Am looking for a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel. "

-- These days I'd imagine it is difficult to determine if that "glimmer" is an open door leading to retirement or a speeding locomotive ( RRECS ) headed towards you.

Windindaface

Last get together I attended a few months back I was told by ADR that at some point I will be asked to sit with someone and plot. The mention of volume from clerk scans or their sort recordings got a response of "we are currently trying to figure that out".

An office nearby not part of the STUDY BUNCH were plotted shortly after RRECS # release. That process only involved the REG carrier sitting with plotter while RCA ran route. They pulled up images of all known delivery points in Book even those Non Stat. Also confirmed all RR crossings, Stop signs etc...

On the brighter side of relaxation.... They are making snow here and ski gear is ready along with some Apre ski enjoyment

Havenowgone

An old subject for which I don't think we've gotten a definitive answer. Has any rural carrier out there, that is not in the study, been mapped yet? And if so, could you please tell us about it . Like havegonenow, I am reaching the end of my rope, too many parcels, too little hope. Am looking for a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel.
How long before you can retire? At my latest union meeting we were told that they are looking at a year or two at the earliest before this thing is implemented. I can't believe the assoc has let this go on for so long without any help for the carriers who are suffering under the old system. There are all kinds of things that could have been done (or attempted to be done) until the study was implemented but they chose to do nothing. If things are really bad for you, you could always ask for a route cut or switch to another route in your office if it becomes available. This is a bad time of year especially for those with routes that are underevaluated. I dreaded this time of year. Hang in there, take it one day at a time. Work on getting a FMLA approved if the mental and physical stress are getting too much. Getting a FMLA was what extended my career longer than I would have otherwise lasted, although I ended up using all my SL over a 6-7 year period. I took off Mondays and days after holidays because I needed help with 2080 problems and I just couldn't handle those kinds of days anymore. Those are a few survival tips and I hope you can use them like I did, and most of all hope that RRECS or some kind of relief comes your way sooner than expected. I used to get teased by both the carriers that worked with me and management about my speed but the carrier that took over my route now understands. The long driveways, small mailboxes and mountains of parcels that I got made my route a bear! And although I loved it, it needed it to be evaluated correctly. RRECS was the only way that was going to happen, but unfortunately I didn't make it until implementation. What was that date again....5/20/15? Going on 5 years late!! Are you reading this assoc leaders??

Last edited:

hockey94

How long before you can retire? At my latest union meeting we were told that they are looking at a year or two at the earliest before this thing is implemented. I can't believe the assoc has let this go on for so long without any help for the carriers who are suffering under the old system. There are all kinds of things that could have been done (or attempted to be done) until the study was implemented but they chose to do nothing. If things are really bad for you, you could always ask for a route cut or switch to another route in your office if it becomes available. This is a bad time of year especially for those with routes that are underevaluated. I dreaded this time of year. Hang in there, take it one day at a time. Work on getting a FMLA approved if the mental and physical stress are getting too much. Getting a FMLA was what extended my career longer than I would have otherwise lasted, although I ended up using all my SL over a 6-7 year period. I took off Mondays and days after holidays because I needed help with 2080 problems and I just couldn't handle those kinds of days anymore. Those are a few survival tips and I hope you can use them like I did, and most of all hope that RRECS or some kind of relief comes your way sooner than expected. I used to get teased by both the carriers that worked with me and management about my speed but the carrier that took over my route now understands. The long driveways, small mailboxes and mountains of parcels that I got made my route a bear! And although I loved it, it needed it to be evaluated correctly. RRECS was the only way that was going to happen, but unfortunately I didn't make it until implementation. What was that date again....5/20/15? Going on 5 years late!! Are you reading this assoc leaders??
Do you know if FMLA has to be approved again at the start of the year or a

year from when it was originally approved ?

Havenowgone

Do you know if FMLA has to be approved again at the start of the year or a

year from when it was originally approved ?
I had to get it approved every year (at the start of the year), which was a pain, but that is what had to be done. I saved a copy of the previous years completed FMLA form and sent my doctor the copy, along with the new form that needed to be completed and also a cover letter thanking him, so he could fill out the new form quickly and only had to follow and/or adjust what he had written the previous year...... (government forms are a pita to fill out) It's easier getting it approved and extended for another year than the original approval request.

Last edited:

RDruckus

I had to get it approved every year (at the start of the year), which was a pain, but that is what had to be done. I saved a copy of the FMLA form and sent my doctor the copy, the new form that needed to be completed along with a cover letter thanking him, so he could fill out the new form quickly and just follow and/or adjust what he had written the previous year...... (government forms are a pita to fill out) It's easier getting it approved and extended for another year than the original approval request.
Same here.

KoiPond

Had union meeting the other night and was told minimum of 5 years for RRECS and there will be no counts until then. We were told to stay on top of our edit books/ 4003 and that form50s are now going to be processed monthly. Lol.....i was like yeah ok buddy. 😂

Windindaface

@KoiPond … My office has always had the policy of monthly edit book submissions. Got a new POOM a few years back who made it mandatory for all offices under their thumb. So all offices obliged. On the 1st non holiday Monday of the month, they all sent the books in. It went on for a few months until AMS said something about the sheer volume of books all at once. So the offices are all on a scattered monthly date submission.

By POOM request because they want to track the offices obeying policy. The books are sent in a priority flat rate box with tracking. Same for when they return. This way of mailing them in is great. As a carrier you now know from the sending tracking # of when they got the books. So if there is a unreasonable delay for return you can claim they got it on X day. It also helps to prevent the EDIT BOOK being lost.

As to your form 50. Those are sent when you get an increase/decrease in pay of the 1hr from edit book submission. Other times you get the 50 is for step increases, contractual raises or new route status. ie… J to K or K to J etc...

When mapping is done for a route is that it? What I mean is that if you move to another route or are awarded a vacant route. Can u re map it. How do u know it was done the way you deliver it now. If you get someone that doesn't care it might not be done right.

stillfirstclass

When mapping is done for a route is that it? What I mean is that if you move to another route or are awarded a vacant route. Can u re map it. How do u know it was done the way you deliver it now. If you get someone that doesn't care it might not be done right.
4003 is the route description.. you cannot nor the carrier in front of you can change it without higher ups approving... 4003 was set up for various reasons that could have changed and nobody bothered to fix.. ex: bridge out, hardship, mailbox was replaced with dismount vise versa and the list goes on.... my observation: subs and their subs run it the way they want to the point nobody has a clue (without 4003) what it really is(there is only one house down there, we don't go down that drive, do we?....

Windindaface

@22222 ... My thoughts are they are mapping our routes now and our actions as a delivery unit via the scammer. I am leaning to more of our actions out on the run to see what we do to establish a baseline for them of our actions out there.

With no more count language due to RRECS and a route is awarded as a 43 whatever and that carrier by previous actions noted causes it to go up or down poses an interesting question.

blamethesub

Mapping will have to be an ongoing thing at some point. Every time you add a new box, it will have to be added to the route map for you to get credit for it. That's one more thing I don't think there's a plan for.

RDruckus

One poster on another thread said she heard at union meeting we're still 5 years out from RRECS.

By my reckoning, it will be at least a decade late.

Maybe they'll be able to get the mapping done, but I predict a craft uprising, demanding hourly.

Last edited:

PastOThirty

Mapping will have to be an ongoing thing at some point. Every time you add a new box, it will have to be added to the route map for you to get credit for it. That's one more thing I don't think there's a plan for.
And it already takes weeks and months to get edit sheets updated and mileage measurements. And here is yet another thing that will delay me getting paid, for the sake of “efficiency” and traceability.

Voglio-il mio

And it already takes weeks and months to get edit sheets updated and mileage measurements. And here is yet another thing that will delay me getting paid, for the sake of “efficiency” and traceability.
Not only that but they have to link the edit book update directly to the 4003 updating so that things will stay 100 % accurate while only having to key the information once!

Windindaface

@PastOThirty.. It should only take a couple of weeks from book submission to return to you. Nothing about AMS responsibility of return timeline but

M-41 section 253.1 says….since the Edit Book is an important document used by Delivery Service, it is absolutely essential that the carrier keep it accurate and up-to-date.

Handbook PO-603, Rural Carrier Duties and Responsibilities 541.45 says…”once CLASS is introduced to a route, the carrier will begin recording necessary delivery data (boxes/stops, box number or address, res or bus type, etc.,) on the Edit Sheet (know known as a Route Listing Report) instead of on PS Form 1621, or the back of the PS Form 4240."

PMG Henderson wrote, "Address management database quality update frequencies will be maintained to include timely performance of national AMS street quality reviews and full implementation of the uniform Edit Book management procedures."

OPERATIONS 2000 from SVP Jack Potter – “Accurate Address Data: The Foundation of Moving Mail - The quality of our operational data systems starts today in the delivery unit with the Edit Book process, what used to be the 1621 or red book. Address management has become the foundation of how we move the mail. Delivery and distribution no longer rely on the memories of clerks and carriers. Automation compelled us to rethink how we do our business. OCR's, DBCS, RBCS, RCR require accurate data. Up-to-date accurate address information translates into service performance, cost-effective operations, and customer satisfaction. Major customers rely on our data, as well. It drives their information that drives their businesses. It's the only source for accurate barcodes and presorting, which in turn reduces rehandlings.

As a gateway to customers, we know when new housing or apartment developments open. We know too when new business parks open. Major mailers must have this information in order to build business. They want to reach every possible delivery, and they want to do it accurately. By improving mailing list barcode accuracy from 92 to 94 or 95 percent, cost savings in worksharing discounts can mean significant savings over the course of a year, perhaps enabling a direct marketer to make an extra mailing. That's more revenue for us. As operational managers we need to make Address Management activities a priority. Accuracy and timeliness in completing Edit Book changes should be done regularly. It's simply good business.”

Skierstmoritz

All well and good! Has your route been mapped yet? Stopping points, delivery points, pkg delivery points. Total distance to travel? All per rrecs! Anyone?