• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Relief day change

rtav

We are a formula office. A route went up for bid with the relief day that the previous carrier had. Our senior PTF got the route. I believe that all the regular carriers can now change their relief day but I can not find it in the contract

We are a formula office. A route went up for bid with the relief day that the previous carrier had. Our senior PTF got the route. I believe that all the regular carriers can now change their relief day but I can not find it in the contract

Nope. If the Relief Day for the “PTF to Reg” Carrier is a Saturday, mgmt can (not mandatory) remove that Saturday & offer another day instead. This does NOT allow all carriers to change. Regardless of whether Mgmt changes the Newbie off of a Saturday or not, they should recalculate the formula due to the loss of a sub. Mgmt does not have to allow any other K-day moves.
The “formula” tells mgmt how many NON-Saturday Relief Days are the maximum. If it shows more people need to be moved from a weekday to a Saturday, that is to be offered by Seniority & forced by Junior. If it shows that mgmt can move carriers off of Saturday, they do NOT have to... but it is in their best interest to do so. Movement FROM a Saturday to a weekday should be offered (as usual) by Seniority & forced by Junior.
A couple of us carriers offered a few years back to move FROM a Saturday IF mgmt would allow us to move to Monday. They agreed & mgmt did not need to force anyone to change their K-day.

My question is not about Saturdays. It is about carriers who are off Tuesday - Friday switching their day. For example, one carrier has Fridays off and wants to change it to Tuesday, which a brand new regular carrier just got because the route she bid on had that day off

The worksheet you reference doesn’t tell you how but I found it by entering formula office, Choosing your j or k day
Under Federal Soup. Kingsman1 posts a total breakdown of the actual calculation......fyi

Last edited:
The worksheet you reference doesn’t tell you how but I found it by entering formula office, Choosing your j or k day
Under Federal Soup. Kingsman1 posts a total breakdown of the actual calculation......fyi
I thought you just wanted the worksheet to calculate for you. The formula is in the contract 9.2.C.5.b.

Thanks Toes...... hardly look in the contract....I look on line for info. The contract is worthless, sites like this, priceless.
I’m shocked it’s actually there!

Mgmt does not have to allow weekday changes. They first need to recalculate the formula to see if any Saturday changes need to be implemented. Then they can allow Relief Day changes (if they want) by Seniority.
The only Relief Day changes that can be forced by contract is when the Formula shows more Carriers needed to be off on Saturday than is currently.

If management will need to redo the formula where carriers are beign forced from Saturday to weekday, they need to have their numbers for how many they want off per day already written down, before they begin reassigning, to prevent favoritism.
But a K day stays with the route, not with the carrier.
A carrier can only ask to switch K day.

On a side note, is there somewhere written that every formula office is required to have one rotating Fri/Sat relief day...where every other week, the carrier has Fri/Sat off??

There isn’t. That’s management bullshit saying that to suit their wishes. Ask for a reference. You certainly won’t get one. ?

Mgmt does not have to allow weekday changes. They first need to recalculate the formula to see if any Saturday changes need to be implemented. Then they can allow Relief Day changes (if they want) by Seniority.
The only Relief Day changes that can be forced by contract is when the Formula shows more Carriers needed to be off on Saturday than is currently.
The info you provided above, where is that written.......thanks a mill!

I think this is what you might be looking for.....Article 9.2.C.5.e

Art. 9.2.C.5.b - e deals with the Formula & it’s rules. The Formula is for determining the maximum # of non-Saturdays & mgmt can determine what days are available as long as the rules are followed.

Back